Thread: Homer

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Homer

I hear this reference a lot on forums. What does the word 'Homer' actually mean?
    Follow me for some fantasy hockey, Jays tweets @thelandshock

Dobber Sports Sage

Homer is Holmstroms nickname but it can also be used as another way of saying "f*g" or "unintelligent" or "idiot" or "moron". Thats the definition of the word here in London at least.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Padawan

I believe its more used to identify someone has having blind faith in their 'home' team - ignoring any faults they might have.

Like if I said "Montreal will be just fine without Markov, we have so much depth on the blueline, we'll barely even notice he's gone" that would be a very homer-ish statement.
    Setting up the play.

Super Moderator

In hockey terms it means you make a comment based more on your like for the team/player than for the actuality of it. Like you'll hear it a lot about posters here. I'm a Leafs fan, so let's say after a game I complain that the Leafs lost cause of the refs or if I say that Stajan is better than AO, then that's considered a "Homer point of view" cause I'm looking at it through my Leaf's fan eyes.

Hope that helps, lol.
    We get one of these - Don't waste it.