Thread: Who to pick: Palushaj, Kugryshev, Tyrell, Maroon?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Who to pick: Palushaj, Kugryshev, Tyrell, Maroon?

So I'm trying to sort out my last picks in the yearly draft.

I've already gotten Schroeder, Allen, Ferraro and Ashton. I have four more picks and I'm trying to break down my last rankings. With my next pick I'm looking to take Brooks Laich, so for my last three picks, I'll have to decide between the four guys in the thread headline and I wanted to see if you agree with me, or just whatever info you can add.

Tyrell - Speedy guy who could play on any line in Tampa, has a good shot of making the team out of camp
    Palushaj - Sick hands, sick NCAA numbers, good opportunity in St Louis going forward
    Kugryshev - Solid guy with no real weakness, but no ability that's really eye-popping either
    Maroon - Has dropped even more in weight and improved his skating further and his skill is starting to really shine through. Apparently looked a lot like the good John LeClair in prospects camp.

All of these four guys have around 75 points upside, at least according to Dobber/Bugg. I like all of them and it seems to me like they all have a pretty equal shot of making the big league, with Tyrell probably being the best bet to make it. The fans of these guys' teams are all giddy about these guys, as far as I've been able to gather from reading about prospects camp, etc.

The guys I have in the tier below this lot are Kveton, Tim Kennedy, Stålberg, Loktionov, Halischuk and Nemisz. I've also decided that if John Carlson or Stefan Elliott are still available for my last pick, I will take one of them there. I'm ridiculously stacked at D, but if they're still there for my last pick, quite likely btw, I'm taking them - Carlson first.

So do I have those rankings right? Should I take any of them before Laich? I've been so caught up in prospects that I've kind of lost sight of how valuable a proven guy like Laich can actually be to me, especially if I trade one of my established centers.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    So I'm trying to sort out my last picks in the yearly draft.

I've already gotten Schroeder, Allen, Ferraro and Ashton. I have four more picks and I'm trying to break down my last rankings. With my next pick I'm looking to take Brooks Laich, so for my last three picks, I'll have to decide between the four guys in the thread headline and I wanted to see if you agree with me, or just whatever info you can add.

Tyrell - Speedy guy who could play on any line in Tampa, has a good shot of making the team out of camp
    Palushaj - Sick hands, sick NCAA numbers, good opportunity in St Louis going forward
    Kugryshev - Solid guy with no real weakness, but no ability that's really eye-popping either
    Maroon - Has dropped even more in weight and improved his skating further and his skill is starting to really shine through. Apparently looked a lot like the good John LeClair in prospects camp.

All of these four guys have around 75 points upside, at least according to Dobber/Bugg. I like all of them and it seems to me like they all have a pretty equal shot of making the big league, with Tyrell probably being the best bet to make it. The fans of these guys' teams are all giddy about these guys, as far as I've been able to gather from reading about prospects camp, etc.

The guys I have in the tier below this lot are Kveton, Tim Kennedy, Stålberg, Loktionov, Halischuk and Nemisz. I've also decided that if John Carlson or Stefan Elliott are still available for my last pick, I will take one of them there. I'm ridiculously stacked at D, but if they're still there for my last pick, quite likely btw, I'm taking them - Carlson first.

So do I have those rankings right? Should I take any of them before Laich? I've been so caught up in prospects that I've kind of lost sight of how valuable a proven guy like Laich can actually be to me, especially if I trade one of my established centers.
    I don't know about you, but when you look at the guys you've listed, the one who's had the biggest step forward has been Carlson. I realize you're stacked at d for now, but if you're looking at trade possibilities you should be able to capitalize on his progress in negotiations. Out of that list he would be BPA to me. Maroon has tons of competition, Kugryshev as well, while Tyrell seems more like a pest than a 70+ point guy. Palushaj has the best offensive skill-set, but he too has some stiff competition with Eller et al.

I would take Carlson unless you ABSOLUTELY know you can get him later. Otherwise, Palushaj.
    XGL - 16 Team, Points Dynasty League
    $114M cap, 54+ Players, Year #16 - 1st(6x): 08, 12-13, 16, 18-19

F(9+3R): Rantanen, P Kane, Bergeron, Lindholm, Tarasenko, Kadri, Olofsson+
    R: Newhook, Perfetti+
    D(5+2R): Makar, Hronek, Dunn, Sanheim, Andersson
    R: Seider, Harley+

G(2+1R): Price, Varly

WHL - 24 Team Dobber League (Lake Valley Thunder) - 2020/21 Champion
    F: Aho, Bergeron, OV, Hintz, Hoffman+
    D: Hedman, Makar, Werenski, Hronek+
    G: Andersen, Lankinen, Oettinger
    R: Reichel, Timmins, Bjornfot, Cormier, Johnston+

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Alright, I'll go Carlson now. Two more picks until it's my turn again. Then Laich, then we'll see what happens. I really like Maroon and he was a beast in Philly's prospect camp.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Perfect, you won't go wrong there. If anything, I'm sure you'll be getting offers right away for him.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I don't think I'll be getting offers for him right away. If I would, he wouldn't still be around at pick #56 But I'll be more than content to sit on him for a while. If nothing else, I can trade one of the other dmen.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Guru

still there at #15 while guys like ashton were taken, eh? i took him with the 15th pick in my prospect draft... although that was my last of 3 picks so i'm not sure how long he would have fell.

out of those guys, palushaj is probably the surest bet. i'm not sold that he'll be much of an offensive player in the NHL... more like Nick Foligno without the chance to play with Spezza. maybe he's a MaxPac.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Perhaps I should go for a goalie instead? All of the following are still available:

olivier roy EDM
    jeff frazee NJ
    kevin lalande CBJ
    john curry PIT
    richard bachman DAL
    alexander salak FLA
    tyler weiman COL
    tyson sexsmith SJ
    brad thiessen PIT
    johan backlund PHI
    joacim eriksson PHI
    braden holtby WAS
    mike lee PHO
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Wink

Perhaps I should go for a goalie instead? All of the following are still available:

olivier roy EDM
    jeff frazee NJ
    kevin lalande CBJ
    john curry PIT
    richard bachman DAL
    alexander salak FLA
    tyler weiman COL
    tyson sexsmith SJ
    brad thiessen PIT
    johan backlund PHI
    joacim eriksson PHI
    braden holtby WAS
    mike lee PHO
    I was this close to saying too bad Allen wasn't around, but I see you were smart and picked him too!!

From that list, I'm a fan of Curry even with the Johnson signing, but Bachman is in the same boat and Turco isn't getting younger, so that's probably the best bet. After that, the Philly goalies and Lalande (another in the same spot as Bachman) are good. Roy, for how far he dropped, now also has a longer wait time now that Khabibulin is there.

I think you can wait til the end on this.

And just wait on Carlson, people will be asking soon enough

Dobber Sports Initiate

maroon has some of the sickest hands of the flyers prospects. the issue with him has always been his conditioning and skating which he is making great strides this year. Was easily the best player in the prospect camp from what i hear. He might have a shot at making the lineup this year and depending on how philly sets their lineup he could put up 20 goals with a regular spot or he could be a year away. All depends on how he performs at training camp.

If your looking at one of the PHI goalies i would go backlund over errickson depending on your time table. errickson is supposed to take over the spot left by gust coming here and probably wont be ready to make the jump to NA for another 2+ years. I beleive he will be the better goalie out of the two though in the long run, but you never know.

Backlund should get the starts in the AHL this year (reason why Munroe wasnt resigned) and could have a shot at the starter or a backup role depending on how Emery turns out this year. Thought i remember hearing that the Flyers liked Backlund better than Gustafson but that could have been because they already signed backlund and wanted to keep the faith.
    UFHP - Y! 12 GMs - 23/8 pro/farm - keep 17 + all farm
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, FW; GS, W, L, GA, GAA, SA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Backstrom, Crosby, Little, Zetterberg, Rask
    LW: Foligno, Ehlers, Skinner, Hartnell, Jokinen, Ladd
    RW: Tarasenko, Kessel, Nash, Marner
    D: Keith, Karlsson, Klingberg, Werenski, Barrie, Manson
    G: Price, Murray, Andersen

Farm:
    C: Keller
    LW: Fiala, Heinen
    RW: Gurianov
    D: Sergachev, Beaulieu, Manning, Borowiecki
    G: Forsberg, Driedger

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Yeah, after browsing through some of the boards on HF, I'm pretty reinforced in my thoughts about Maroon. Best case scenario right now seems to be that I get Carlson, Laich, Maroon and one of Bachman or Kugryshev.

Thanks for the advice!
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Giant

Wow! I was almost settled to drop Maroon in my dynasty, but now you really make me hesitate.

Any links you can provide me with Sentium?
    Thanks!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=660461

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=661129

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=662360

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=664202

That's just a start. For more, check out the stickied Phantoms thread to read about his performance in the playoffs, etc.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Giant

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=660461

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=661129

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=662360

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=664202

That's just a start. For more, check out the stickied Phantoms thread to read about his performance in the playoffs, etc.
    Thanks bud! I'll definitely take a look at them!