Thread: [signing] Canucks sign Kellan Tochkin

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default [signing] Canucks sign Kellan Tochkin

http://www.whl.ca/stats/player.php?id=24886
    http://www.bclocalnews.com/fraser_va.../49441312.html

"At first I didn't believe it was really him (Gillis)," Tochkin said with a chuckle during an interview with The News on Sunday. "I thought maybe one of my buddies was playing a joke, because it was a 604 number. But they had my GM with the Everett Silvertips (Doug Soetaert) up their suite, and they told me they really wanted me to come to their camp."

Last season, Tochkin led the Silvertips – and all WHL rookies – in scoring with 74 points (20 goals, 54 assists) in 72 games. And while those impressive stats didn't yield a result on draft day, the silver lining is that the five-foot-nine right winger got to choose his training camp destination.

Tochkin heard from the Canucks and the Columbus Blue Jackets directly, while his agent fielded phone calls from the Chicago Blackhawks, Detroit Red Wings and Anaheim Ducks.

But being a "diehard" fan of his home-province team, combined with the fact that the Canucks had shown interest in him prior to the draft, led Tochkin to cast his lot with Vancouver.
    Three-year, entry level deal.

Source: www.capgeek.com (called many minor signings this off-season).
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Guru

How is this possible? Isn't the guy still draft eligible?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

There is a post-draft timeframe to sign players.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Could you elaborate, Angus?

Dobber Sports Guru

i'm a little confused as well. he is a 91 birthday so would still be eligible for the next two entry drafts. i did not know you could sign someone as a free agent who is draft eligible.

but then, the kings signed hitmen goalie Martin Jones last summer when he was 18.

interesting that 30 teams passed on him through 7 rounds, but the canucks felt he was worthy of one of their 50 contracts so soon afterward.

might be just a camp invitation, not a full ELC?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

It is a full ELC - he already went to the prospects camp.

I am heading out in a bit so don't have time to elaborate, I'll get more info later. But there is a window in the off-season where players who were passed over in the draft can be signed. There are obviously rules and limits on it, I just don't remember them off hte top of my head.

Dobber Sports Guru

i believe you. like i said, i know it happened with jones last year.

its just bizarre to me that a team would draft guys in the 6th and 7th round, and then offer one of a limited number of contracts to a player they didn't draft.

unless they had tochkin on their list all along, just below the other guys they picked, and were floored that nobody picked him at all.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default From the CBA:

8.9 Eligibility for Play in the League. No Player shall be eligible for play in the
    League unless he:

(a) had been claimed in the last Entry Draft, or was ineligible for claim under
    Section 8.4; or

(b) had been eligible for claim in the last Entry Draft, but was unclaimed, and:

(i) had played hockey in North America the prior season and was age 20 or older at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the next NHL
    Season.

(ii) had played hockey in North America the prior season and was under age 20 at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the Major Juniors season (except that if such Player had signed an NHL tryout form, which was signed and registered with the League during the aforesaid time period, then the deadline for signing and registering with the League an SPC with such try-out Club shall be the commencement of the NHL Season).

(iii) had played hockey outside of North America in the prior season and was age 22 or older at the time of the last Entry Draft and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and the commencement of the next NHL Season.

(iv) The words "eligible for claim in the last Entry Draft" in subparagraph (b) above mean "eligible for claim in all rounds of the last Entry Draft." The words "the prior season" in subparagraph (i), (ii) and (iii) above mean "a full season prior to the last Entry
    Draft."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Point of Clarification

An "SPC" is a "Standard Player Contract" as exhibited in the CBA.

Dobber Sports Ace

He is a good skater but is really far away, shys away from traffic, not sure if he will ever make it to the show, even if he does I doubt he has any fantasy imtact.