Thread: Do I Pick Up Backes? If So, Who Do I Drop?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Do I Pick Up Backes? If So, Who Do I Drop?

Our league\'s playoffs start next week and I\'ve already clinched a first round bye in a league of 12 teams, 6 of which make the playoffs, two of which get a first round bye advancing me to the semis.

The category that my team (along with +/- a bit) has been most inconsistent in is PIMS (penalty minutes). I picked up Steve Ott a couple days ago off waivers who gets a lot of PIMS while putting up about a point per game lately. David Backes appears to be in the same mold - which would give me two guys that typically get PIMS in just about each game they play while getting a point.

I\'ve already put a waiver claim in for Backes and to drop Mark Recchi -Left Wing for Left Wing. I know I have a lot of centers but each one has been valuable for my team scoring wise. My roster is listed in my signature.

Is this right move or do I pick him up for someone else? Or do I not pick him up at all? The waiver will go through at midnight tonight (when the date hits March 12th).

Any and all input and advice is much appreciated B)
    ---
    1 Year Standard H2H League:

SCORING: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPG, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, Hits

http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/hockey/9566/8

http://www4.fantrax.com/fantasy/teamRoster.go?leagueId=tib39lysh10c0ga1

Dobber Sports Prodigy

C\'mon guys, help me out PLEASE, I only got a couple hours before Backes for Recchi goes thru and I would like to hear some opinions on this...I\'ll give as much Karma out as I can including tomorrow for replies if that matters to you...
    ---

Dobber Sports Ace

I had Backes on my team for a while. I dropped him half way through his cold snap in Feb. He is picking it up again and is playing on the top line. Personally, I would rather have him that Recchi or Vermette or PM Bouchard. Second thought, I would keep vermette and take a flyer that he clicks with Nash.

Infact, I may try and find away to get him back on my team.
    10 Team Yahoo Roto League - H2H, weekly changes - $100 WW budget - 75 remaining
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, Sv%, SOot

C - Getzlaf, E.Staal
    LW - Parise (RW), Benn
    RW - Giroux (C), Radulov
    D - Striet, Pietrangelo
    Util - Backes, Riberio, Malone
    G - Halak (Elliot), Rinne, Bryz
    Bench - M.Koivu, Kane (C)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks JIMMAY! Karma given...

I felt the same way and I also once was a David Backes owner. I do alot of research on various sites (Dobberhockey mostly )and once I found word that he was moved to the top line I snagged him off Free Agency when he was owned in under 5 or 10% of Yahoo Fantasy Leagues.

I informed my rommate of this who is our 12 team league and in 2nd place (behind me) who also writes the updates for the Wasington Capitals players for Rotowire and he was like who? Same with another guy who writes for Rotowire...Never heard of him...Why you would you drop (I forgot) for some kid you never heard of? I only had him (Backes) for a cpl weeks with moderate numbers before I dropped him for someone else. Partly due to the influence of what was called a mistake from the so called experts which ended up being a mistake to drop him.

Well, a month and a half later my roommate was negotiating trades for him and was advising owners not to drop him due to his overall fanatsy value.

Anways, I appreciate your reply. It makes me feel more comfortable dropping Recchi for him since Backes has been putting up better numbers than him offfensively plus the PIMS. Rechi may eventually put up more points down the stretch as he becomes more accustomed to Boston\'s system but I can compensate that for the other guys on my team and hopefully take the PIMS while Backes plays with a team that he has been with and in the same role - not to mention the fact that I already have Zdeno Chara and Tim Thomas which is puting a lot of my team\'s stock into the Bruins. They haven exactly looked sharp lately and even though are an elite team they may not be elite down the stretch - and playing well down the stretch is all that matters in fantasy hockey at this point!

I\'ll kep my centers intact and roll with only one pure LW (along with my LW/RW players) and who knows? If Jarrett Stoll returns to the second power play unit and gets 12 mins of ice time like he was in that three game stretch before the big win over the Stars where he had two goals, or if Vermette or Bouchard dissapoint then I\'ll get Recchi back (if he is still on waivers) who is on the Bruins first power play unit. The whole time I thoght Recchi\'s numbers would see an increase but apart from the two goal game it has been Patrice Bergeron who has been the benefactor.

I know I may seem to go on and on but I watch a lot of games on the DirecTV NHL Package, watch a lot of teams, and feel like I\'ve developed a sense to be able to sense teams\' and players\' tendencies and futures.

Maybe you learned something outta my obersavations in this post...you never know..and big props to JIMMAY!
    ---

Dobber Sports Apprentice

A guy who writes for Rotowire has never heard of Backes? Well, I\'ve basically lost all respect for Rotowire....
    RANGERS SUCK

Dobber Sports Stud

I may have chimed in late, but picking up Backes for Recchi was a move I would have done. I don\'t believe Recchi will be as vital in BOS as he was on the Lightnings, who had no depth.