View Poll Results: Which 5 UFAs will be the biggest disappointments in 2024-25 (based on scoring/salary/expectations)?

Voters
40. This poll is closed
  • Tyler Bertuzzi ($4.83M)

12 30.00%
  • Jake DeBrusk ($3.66M)

3 7.50%
  • Max Domi ($3.67M)

8 20.00%
  • Matt Duchene ($4.04M)

10 25.00%
  • Shayne Gostisbehere ($4.31M)

10 25.00%
  • Jake Guentzel ($9.72M)

11 27.50%
  • Patrick Kane ($3.27M)

5 12.50%
  • Elias Lindholm ($5.07M)

9 22.50%
  • Anthony Mantha ($4.48M)

23 57.50%
  • Jonathan Marchessault ($4.38M)

4 10.00%
  • Sean Monahan ($4.26M)

9 22.50%
  • Brandon Montour ($6.85M)

12 30.00%
  • Joe Pavelski ($3.59M)

5 12.50%
  • Sam Reinhart ($8.81M)

14 35.00%
  • Brady Skjei ($5.50M)

3 7.50%
  • Steven Stamkos ($5.13M)

3 7.50%
  • Chandler Stephenson ($5.56M)

15 37.50%
  • Vladimir Tarasenko ($5.64M)

21 52.50%
  • Teuvo Teravainen ($3.97M)

5 12.50%
  • Tyler Toffoli ($3.41M)

3 7.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: 2024 UFA Disappointments

The Great One

Default ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: 2024 UFA Disappointments

With fewer teams still playing, more and more of you are shifting your focus to the upcoming season. But before that begins, free agency will happen, which brings me to this month's poll, one that I do every year at this time.

I've assembled a list of 20 players set to be UFAs this summer. Some will do well, some will do okay, and some will not pan out at all. Your votes should go to the five on this list who you believe will be the biggest disappointments for this coming season. Here are key things to keep in mind:

1) Disappointment is relative, meaning it is based on scoring (points only - things like leadership, "real hockey" value, and multicat worth do not matter) in relation to expectations and contract, and such that someone who makes more is also more likely to be a disappointment if more was expected of them.
    2) It might be that some of these players sign deals which all but assure they will be disappointments toward the end of their deals. But for this poll, only 2024-25 performance matters.
    3) Yes, we don't know where these players will sign; but you should still be able to make reasonable assessments
    4) For each player I'd put his estimated salary based on Alex MacLean's projections released earlier this week (there will be a link in the accompanying column)

Hopefully that covers everything. As usual, please post in the thread who you voted for and why, as the added perspective is useful.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

The Great One

Default Re: ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: 2024 UFA Disappointments

My votes went to:

Guentzel - No, I didn't just pick the guy most likely to make the most money; I feel like he will struggle without Crosby, or at least to an extent that he doesn't perform anywhere near expectations
    Lindholm - One of those guy when you look at his numbers you're surprised he wasn't better; but truth is he's not been great, and someone is going to pay him enough such that he will likely disappoint
    Mantha - I think he played hard to pad his wallet and once paid will phone it in like he did a couple seasons ago
    Stephenson - A fine player, but not at his likely price tag, and I'm not sure he can be looked upon to perform like he will be
    Tarasenko - He's going to be paid like a point per gamer or close to it, and he is not anywhere near that nowadays
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports All-Star

I think Lindholm in the right situation can be a vital piece for a team. He could fit in perfectly as a solid 2C. Again, depends where.

Dobber Sports Icon

Ghost
    Montour
    Guentzel
    Teravinen

I think all are young enough and had enough of flashes to get paid more than their current contracts by quite a bit. Based on that they will be disappointing imo. Im most curious about Montour, i wonder if his play had mor to do with situation then talent, we will see.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Initiate

Voted for:
    Bertuzzi - playstyle, injury risk, potentially worse deployment
    Mantha - playstyle, injury risk, likely worse deployment
    Monahan - Sounds like over payment given the reaction to the recent trade
    Pavelski - more likely retirement, but if new contract - too much
    Stephenson - Has had a privileged time in Vegas, too high cap at this age

Excluding Pavelski, most of these will likely sign for 3-5 years, is my guess.
    The rest, even the premium FA, are more likely to have a good first year and live up to their cap hit that year.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I don't think any of these contract projections on the surface scream really Bad Contract. I was only able to list 3 guys that I feel may not meet expectations. Guentzel, Stevenson and Bertuzzi.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Wizard

Mantha and Tarasenko

Why would anyone pay Mantha 4+ million. And Tarasenko seems like his reputation doesn't match his production anymore and he is on the wrong side of 30.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov