Thread: how to fairly trade with a team that is out of the race?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default how to fairly trade with a team that is out of the race?

This will be the league in my signature, though it probably doesn't matter as this is more of a general keeper league question. If this should be posted elsewhere, let me know.

My league this year changed from a one year full redraft to a keeper league where we can keep up to 3 (1 goalie max) players and you add 3 rounds to the round said player was drafted. IE: I took Caufield 8th round, he'd cost me my 5th round pick next season. This means no one in rounds 1-3 can't be kept. Note that an equal amount of picks must be traded both ways.

Because it's my first time playing in a keeper of any kind, I'm not really sure how to fairly trade with a team who may be out of the race. I know it's still a bit early but for the sake of discussion let's look at my team currently in first place and the team in last place with McDavid. This team is losing to me this week 12-0 and I really don't see them making playoffs at this point. They're that far back in points. So with McDavid and the owner's team both struggling how can I fairly navigate a trade for McDavid where they would get pick upgrades for next season and I improve my roster this season? Do I need to offer a good player like Connor+1st+5th for McDavid+15th+20th round pick (for an example)? Or can I simply offer the owner 1st+2nd for McDavid+19th+20th? Is that unfair to the rest of the league or is that simply the nature of a keeper league?

I realize my goalies are awful and that's what I need to upgrade but the McDavid team example is easiest to discuss because of their position in the standing. I'm hoping to gain some insight on keeper leagues so I can apply it to any offer where I'm trading with a team outside playoffs.
    14 team, H2H, daily start, min. 3 goalie appearances, 3 Keepers (round drafted+3) with 1 Goalie max.
    G, A, P, PPP, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits // W, SV, GAA, SV%, SHO

3C: Norris, Danault, Barbashev (LW)
    3RW: Tippett (LW), Roy, Frederic
    3LW: Knies, Ehlers, Foegele
    4D: Dobson, Gostisbehere, Orlov, Power
    2G: Lyon, Husso
    1Util: M. Foligno (LW, RW)
    4Bench: Brossoit, Werenski, Marchenko, Rossi
    2IR: Zegras

Keepers: Dobson (6th), Tippett (11th), Norris (14th)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: how to fairly trade with a team that is out of the race?

First off, in general discussing McDavid complicates things. He's a top 1 keeper without a thought. However, in you league, he can't be kept, so he's a rental. Basically there are two kinds of deals in limited keepers: deals involving clear keeper-worthy players, and deals that don't.

If you want to deal fairly with a team out of it for guys who aren't clear keepers, it's probably going to come naturally. You upgrade their picks for next year, and get some help now.

Witht hese rental type guys, you're going to still have to give something pretty big to get. Do you have a round 4 or 5 guy having a great year, that could be a keeper as a main piece? You need to ask him what he wants, first, because different owners will prioritize picks versus value keepers.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    First off, in general discussing McDavid complicates things. He's a top 1 keeper without a thought. However, in you league, he can't be kept, so he's a rental. Basically there are two kinds of deals in limited keepers: deals involving clear keeper-worthy players, and deals that don't.

If you want to deal fairly with a team out of it for guys who aren't clear keepers, it's probably going to come naturally. You upgrade their picks for next year, and get some help now.

Witht hese rental type guys, you're going to still have to give something pretty big to get. Do you have a round 4 or 5 guy having a great year, that could be a keeper as a main piece? You need to ask him what he wants, first, because different owners will prioritize picks versus value keepers.
    Thanks! Separating the players into keeper vs rental makes sense.

I feel like because we have to add 3 rounds to a keeper it's making it hard to say who will be a good keeper next season. I took Keller Rd 6, Seider Rd 7, Caufield Rd 8, Dobson Rd 9, Tippett Rd 14, Cooley Rd 16, and Norris Rd 17. Maybe some keepers in there but things may change that in 4 months time.

But I'll keep in mind if I'm gaining a keeper player or a if it's just a rental when trading away my picks. I'm kinda worried about trading away any of my top 5 future picks unless my team has virtually no weakness that could cost me a week. Like right now I'm in 1st place but my goaltending is so bad I'm not sure I want to go all in yet.
    14 team, H2H, daily start, min. 3 goalie appearances, 3 Keepers (round drafted+3) with 1 Goalie max.
    G, A, P, PPP, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits // W, SV, GAA, SV%, SHO

3C: Norris, Danault, Barbashev (LW)
    3RW: Tippett (LW), Roy, Frederic
    3LW: Knies, Ehlers, Foegele
    4D: Dobson, Gostisbehere, Orlov, Power
    2G: Lyon, Husso
    1Util: M. Foligno (LW, RW)
    4Bench: Brossoit, Werenski, Marchenko, Rossi
    2IR: Zegras

Keepers: Dobson (6th), Tippett (11th), Norris (14th)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TheMule_91 View Post
    Thanks! Separating the players into keeper vs rental makes sense.

I feel like because we have to add 3 rounds to a keeper it's making it hard to say who will be a good keeper next season. I took Keller Rd 6, Seider Rd 7, Caufield Rd 8, Dobson Rd 9, Tippett Rd 14, Cooley Rd 16, and Norris Rd 17. Maybe some keepers in there but things may change that in 4 months time.

But I'll keep in mind if I'm gaining a keeper player or a if it's just a rental when trading away my picks. I'm kinda worried about trading away any of my top 5 future picks unless my team has virtually no weakness that could cost me a week. Like right now I'm in 1st place but my goaltending is so bad I'm not sure I want to go all in yet.
    You have some great late value guys. I generally want to keep late picks that will outperform keeper spot by the most.

Keller, Caulfield, etc are perfect examples of guys to deal who are young and doing really well, but they may not heavily outperform the keeper round next year.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.