Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: RIP Adam Johnson - dies as result of skate injury

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: RIP Adam Johnson - dies as result of skate injury

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Is it standard procedure to be released on bail if there are no charges?

Or what needs to happen for someone to require to be released on bail.

https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/cj-jp/...eceives%20bail.

I realize the above is from a Canadian website. I just expect most 'bail systems' operate similarly.
    I’d suspect you’d be wrong! The bail system in the US for example is completely different than Canada, just like the justice system.

But I really do appreciate you posting a Canadian link to accentuate just how little anyone in this thread understands what they’re talking about.

Dobber Sports Pro

What? You do not need to be arrested to question someone. ThatÂ’s not what an arrest is.

You act so condescending and high and mighty but youÂ’re no more aware of anything than everyone else with an internet connection is.

Stop kidding yourself and donÂ’t be so rude.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I’d suspect you’d be wrong! The bail system in the US for example is completely different than Canada, just like the justice system.

But I really do appreciate you posting a Canadian link to accentuate just how little anyone in this thread understands what they’re talking about.
    Haha I even clarified I was posting a Canadian site. So for you to point to that and ignore the big picture is a failed attempt at magic. Nice try!

You failed miserably to see the big picture of my question.

Why would someone have to post bail if they are only being questioned?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Haha I even clarified I was posting a Canadian site. So for you to point to that and ignore the big picture is a failed attempt at magic. Nice try!

You failed miserably to see the big picture of my question.

Why would someone have to post bail if they are only being questioned?
    Bail in the United Kingdom is the practice of releasing individuals from remand subject to certain conditions which are designed to enable criminal justice outcomes, primarily trials and police investigations, to be completed efficiently and effectively. The right to bail is guaranteed in a wide range of contexts but is not absolute.[1] The legal systems of England and Wales, Northern Ireland and of Scotland each deal with bail in similar but distinct ways. Bail can be granted by the courts, the police and certain other criminal justice authorities including the Serious Fraud Office (SFO) and Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).

Bail in this context is distinct from the bail bonds system applied in the United States, and the approaches of the two systems differ markedly. The United Kingdom's approach to bail is more comparable to other common law jurisdictions including Canada, Australia, New Zealand and a number of Commonwealth nations, and British Overseas Territories to which English law applies directly.

'Bail' can refer to the release of a person from custody with or without conditions. All instances of bail (including 'unconditional bail') incorporate the requirement of appearing before a court at a set time and date. Where a person is released without any requirements on them at all, but is still being investigated, this is usually termed Release Under Investigation (RUI). A person may also be released with No Further Action (NFA) when they are no longer under suspicion. Release NFA is only terminology and does not inhibit the police from reopening investigations.

Immigration bail refers to the practice of releasing individuals from immigration detention subject to conditions. It is a separate system from that of criminal offences bail. Unlike with bail in criminal offences, immigration bail does not necessarily occur because of a suspicion that the person has acted unlawfully, though this may be a reason for detention. It is common for government officials or law enforcement agents to make immigration bail decisions on behalf of the Secretary of State. The First Tier Tribunal (Immigration and Asylum Chamber) may also make immigration bail decisions.
    Bail is required to ensure the subject of an arrest meets the conditions of bail, usually amounting to ensuring they don't leave the country until the conclusion of an investigation. Bail has no bearing on innocence or guilt nor on charges laid (or in this case not laid, as of yet), and is refunded at the conclusion of the investigation, regardless of the conclusion of the investigation.

Maybe you should educate yourself about topics before you start spewing nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    What? You do not need to be arrested to question someone. ThatÂ’s not what an arrest is.

You act so condescending and high and mighty but youÂ’re no more aware of anything than everyone else with an internet connection is.

Stop kidding yourself and donÂ’t be so rude.
    Again, you're applying your (likely limited) knowledge of your local legal system to one in which you don't have any knowledge about.

Bail is required to ensure the subject of an arrest meets the conditions of bail, usually amounting to ensuring they don't leave the country until the conclusion of an investigation. Bail has no bearing on innocence or guilt nor on charges laid (or in this case not laid, as of yet), and is refunded at the conclusion of the investigation, regardless of the conclusion of the investigation.

Maybe you should educate yourself about topics before you start spewing nonsense.
    even someone as smart and perfect as you can admit how that is deceiving.

why not call it released if they are released and there is no charges?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

And even after all this legal debate, it doesn’t take away from the majority of great hockey minds here thinking that it was a dangerous and reckless hockey play and not an accident.

​​

even someone as smart and perfect as you can admit how that is deceiving.

why not call it released if they are released and there is no charges?
    I don’t find due process confusing nor deceiving in any way actually.

Dobber Sports Monster

Again, you're applying your (likely limited) knowledge of your local legal system to one in which you don't have any knowledge about.
    I think you’re doing the same thing to argue the other side of the issue.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Hercules

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/a...nguins-player/

CBS is saying he was arrested on suspicion of manslaughter and released on bail. I thought I read somewhere that the reason you arrest and release on bail in the UK is to question someone who doesn't want to willingly be questioned and to ensure they don't flee the country. He might have surrendered his passport under a bail condition.

You can be arrested and released on bail but not charged because they don't have enough evidence, or it may not be necessary to continue to detain the person but further information is required. Sounds like it's encouraged (where necessary/appropriate) in the UK to release suspects on "Pre-Charge Bail" instead of "Releasing Under Investigation" now prolly due to being able to put conditions on the bail where RUI doesn't have any conditions.

Not 100% sure what the argument is here, he hasn't been charged with Manslaughter yet, he's been arrested under the suspicion of Manslaughter and released on bail as the investigation is ongoing.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    Util:
    G:

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    I think you’re doing the same thing to argue the other side of the issue.
    All I've done is state the actual facts we know.

1) He hasn't been charged.
    2) Being arrested isn't the same as being charged.
    3) Released on bail has nothing to do with charges laid.
    4) Released on bail has nothing to do with innocence or guilt.

In fairness to your point I did speculate he was arrested to be questioned, but that speculation is far less harmful and egregiously incorrect as getting one of the above four incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/a...nguins-player/

CBS is saying he was arrested on suspicion of manslaughter and released on bail. I thought I read somewhere that the reason you arrest and release on bail in the UK is to question someone who doesn't want to willingly be questioned and to ensure they don't flee the country. He might have surrendered his passport under a bail condition.

You can be arrested and released on bail but not charged because they don't have enough evidence, or it may not be necessary to continue to detain the person but further information is required. Sounds like it's encouraged (where necessary/appropriate) in the UK to release suspects on "Pre-Charge Bail" instead of "Releasing Under Investigation" now prolly due to being able to put conditions on the bail where RUI doesn't have any conditions.

Not 100% sure what the argument is here, he hasn't been charged with Manslaughter yet, he's been arrested under the suspicion of Manslaughter and released on bail as the investigation is ongoing.
    The title of the above article says 'charged'

Has he been charged?

​​

Hercules

The title of the above article says 'charged'

Has he been charged?
    Then when you read it, it doesn't say charged again. I think it's misinformation the title, which might be where confusion is on reporting. Really weird
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    Util:
    G:

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Then when you read it, it doesn't say charged again. I think it's misinformation the title, which might be where confusion is on reporting. Really weird
    It is really weird. And its from a source like CBS... not some third-rate facebook feed that is putting the word in the title to get more clicks/reads.

​​

Dobber Sports Pro

Again, you're wrong. If you are "brought in for questioning" (different from being arrested), you do not post bail. This is true in my local area (which you don't know where that is, by the way) and in the United Kingdom as well.

Sorry, try again.

*rataylor furiously googles to find more information that he can pass off as his own exclusive all-knowing perspective*