Thread: Elias Petterson contract prediction?

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Elias Petterson contract prediction?

What do you think he get's? Does he walk? Here's my thoughts. As a Canucks fan I don't think he deserves over 11 million like the rumors are stating. He had one really good season and needs to still prove it out. If he's willing to take anything under 11 million per year, I sign him immediately. Aside from that depending on how we do this year, I would trade him. Sound's crazy but were just not deep enough. Having him on our team with no hope of really competing will just allow us to be mid, without ever being great.

Now if we get him at a good number sure.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Elias Petterson contract prediction?

Dont teams give out big money "show me" contracts all the time? Ottawa just did it with Sanderson. At least he's already shown it, even if it's just once. You have to look at it long term. Is it a bargain in three years time if he continues to show it?

It's the old saying " the price never goes down at this point in their careers". You can pay it today, or pay it tomorrow, or find someone else who will and trade them away. The problem is, if he shows it again, what's the price after that season because the price isn't going down.

I am not saying I like it, but that's the world we live in.

Im not going to lie, in the interviews he's given lately, he doesn't sound like he's really interested in staying long term in Vancouver, but maybe that's just what I am hearing. I don't know.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Let's say you merely see Pettersson as a Gaudreau level star player, you are still likely looking at a cap percentage above 11%. If the forecasts for next season's cap are correct (~$88M) then $10M is your bottom end for AAV and it would be totally reasonable to see it climb to $11M if he has another great season.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Wizard

Unless Pettersson's production takes a huge dive this season, he is getting at least $11M per year and possibly close to $12M; I can see the Canucks overpaying to keep him.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Genius

These are both fair points. I guess 11 million is fine, heck Tavares makes 11 million a year and signed it years ago. I feel he's better or has the potential to be better then prime Tavares.

The thing I am most concerned about as a Canucks fan is he makes us better but not good enough. I just can't see a path where the Canucks ever become a top contender with our current squad and pipeline of prospects.

Dobber Sports Star

8x10.5m
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by kovalchuk17 View Post
    8x10.5m
    I would take that hands down.

Dobber Sports Guru

As a Canucks fan, my only concern with paying up for EP is health. He's shown he can be an elite scorer, he shoots, he hits, he blocks.
    If we don't pay up for him, then we might as well deal QHughes too cuz we aren't getting replacements anytime soon. Those two would at least re-stock the prospect pool.

And with a crap prospect pool, they might not be able to build around EP, QH, Miller, Hronek, Demko.
    They needed to deal Miller for a decent haul and then draft better, but that's hindsight.

So considering they're kinda stuck in what will be middling-ville now anyways (with no real hope of coming out anytime soon), I suppose you pay him, try to win a playoff round or two in the next 5 years without sacrificing any futures, and see if you can get some homegrown talent for once.

OR

Trade him and Hughes and Kuz and everyone that could net them a decent return of futures. But the ownership will never do this (and the general fanbase wouldn't tolerate it) so...

Middle-ville it is.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Sage

I don't think he resigns with Vancouver. He wants to win and Vancouver does not have the pieces in place to become a Cup-contending team. Danielson, Wallinder, and a 1st for Petersson next June before next year's draft. 8 * 11.4 M
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    As a Canucks fan, my only concern with paying up for EP is health. He's shown he can be an elite scorer, he shoots, he hits, he blocks.
    If we don't pay up for him, then we might as well deal QHughes too cuz we aren't getting replacements anytime soon. Those two would at least re-stock the prospect pool.

And with a crap prospect pool, they might not be able to build around EP, QH, Miller, Hronek, Demko.
    They needed to deal Miller for a decent haul and then draft better, but that's hindsight.

So considering they're kinda stuck in what will be middling-ville now anyways (with no real hope of coming out anytime soon), I suppose you pay him, try to win a playoff round or two in the next 5 years without sacrificing any futures, and see if you can get some homegrown talent for once.

OR

Trade him and Hughes and Kuz and everyone that could net them a decent return of futures. But the ownership will never do this (and the general fanbase wouldn't tolerate it) so...

Middle-ville it is.
    This is my thoughts exactly.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    I don't think he resigns with Vancouver. He wants to win and Vancouver does not have the pieces in place to become a Cup-contending team. Danielson, Wallinder, and a 1st for Petersson next June before next year's draft. 8 * 11.4 M
    I would make that deal. I would still keep Hughes as he's young enough and a D, that he could still be solid in 5 years when the Canucks window re opens. I would trade everyone else though if that happened. Kuzy, Miller, Demko, Boeser etc.

The Great One

Yeah, it just feels like he's going to be dealt, then get PAID.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports All-Star

5 years at $10.75M per season.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Yeah, it just feels like he's going to be dealt, then get PAID.
    I agree, the only thing I really see changes this is if the Canucks just go off.