Thread: Elite F vs Elite G

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Elite F vs Elite G

Looking to next year in a banger Roto (non H2H) league that has Wins,Gaa,save%,saves, SO.
    What is more valuable elite F or elite G?
    Example Huberdeau or Shesterkin.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Elite F vs Elite G

Absolutely an elite G... You can recreate an elite forward on your roster with say two very good players, each filling a portion of the categories, and you can stream in what you're missing each week.

Goalies are not already limited, but the handful of elite goalies are extremely hard to get. You're not going to be able to recreate a Shesterkin by going out and getting two other goalies.. those ratios are tough to sustain.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

It depends of how elite the player is. Give me McDavid or Draisaitl before Shesterkin but in this case, give me Shesterkin before Huberdeau.

I think elite forwards are easier to find than elite goalies.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Thing about "Elite" goalies is that they can falter (see Hellebuyck) and fall from grace more often than Elite forwards (Vas is the only exception imo due to his incredibly long and consistent history of top production). Shesty looks like a million bucks and may even have a chance to win the Vezina this season, but his status as a top 5 net minder going into next season is much more volatile than an elite forwards producing another elite season. Not picking on Shesterkin here, same goes for Saros and Andersen, ect..

Goalies generally, even ones who have an "elite" season, fluctuate more year to year than elite forwards do.

That has been my experience.

Just my 2 sense.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Good point Wonko. That is the other side of the coin. Of course if Shesterkin does this every year it’s him for sure.
    But even Vas fluctuates a bit from year to year. Look at this season even with him.
    I wonder if Huberdeau (Or Kucherov) are better keepers due to the fact they have less volatility.

Dobber Sports Star

Elite goalies are more valuable when they're elite. But longer-term, elite forwards are more valuable because their period of elite production is generally longer, and as Wonko states, goalie variance is much higher than variance at skater positions.

All that being said, you need to plant your stake somewhere and apart from McDavid, Matthews, Makar, MacKinnon and Draisaitl, I think Shestyorkin is the next best keeper in most systems.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Rhem View Post
    Looking to next year in a banger Roto (non H2H) league that has Wins,Gaa,save%,saves, SO.
    What is more valuable elite F or elite G?
    Example Huberdeau or Shesterkin.
    What percentage of categories do goalies make up?

In my league, 40% of your week is determined by 2-3 goalies and it's a 14 team league, so goalies are premium. In leagues where it's only 30% of your cats with less teams, it's less valuable

Dobber Sports Novice

Elite F.

Goaltenders performances varies too much from year to year and are more unpredictable to favor them over real solid Elite F values.
    (Edit : Just noticed the other replies have also mentioned this, re Wonko)

Unless we are only talking about the new Tier 0 when we say Elite G :

Vasilevskiy
    Shesterkin

Then yes those two could be more valuable than almost all Elite F, except for Tier 0 Forwards like McDavid, Draisaitl and Ovechkin in ROTO.

All things being equals in terms of comparing Tiers; I always prioritize F.

I’d lean even more heavily on drafting Elite F in terms of Single-Season Leagues.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
    Thing about "Elite" goalies is that they can falter (see Hellebuyck) and fall from grace more often than Elite forwards (Vas is the only exception imo due to his incredibly long and consistent history of top production). Shesty looks like a million bucks and may even have a chance to win the Vezina this season, but his status as a top 5 net minder going into next season is much more volatile than an elite forwards producing another elite season. Not picking on Shesterkin here, same goes for Saros and Andersen, ect..

Goalies generally, even ones who have an "elite" season, fluctuate more year to year than elite forwards do.

Just my 2 sense.
    Fully agree with this. Honestly, as others have pointed out, Vasi is the only goalie in the league that has consistently been "elite". Hellebucyk is close, but look at this year. Shesterking, ya, looks good now, as have countless other goalies based on small sample size, but next year or the year after the chances are, IMO, that he is unlikely to be an absolute must own best goalie in the world. McDavid, Draisaitl, Makar perhaps Pasta and arguably a few others should not be passed over for Shesterkin. Huberdeau, well, that's a calculated risk, it could work out for you, or it could blow up in your face. Goalie Voodoo plain and simple (:
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Wonko View Post

Just my 2 sense.
    This happened to me this year with Helly. Traded my 1st for him in our redraft, which would have been a Taveres type, and he has poo poo'd the bed this year.

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Suzuki
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg,
    Konecny(L/R)
    R-Hyman(L/R), Svechnikov(L/R), P. Kane
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi,
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by islefan31 View Post
    This happened to me this year with Helly. Traded my 1st for him in our redraft, which would have been a Taveres type, and he has poo poo'd the bed this year.
    I rest my case (:

The majority of folks here on the forum considered Vasi and Hellebuyck to be the top two goalies to own, and this was based on consistently excellent numbers over several years. And look what happened. I had to make a move on a goalie this summer and both Vasi and Hellbucky's price was out of this world. I thought Lehner was a solid option, but it still cost me Barkov to acquire him. And look what happened. Assuming a guy like Shesterkin will be the best goalie on the planet for the next decade and making trades accordingly could turn out not so good. We have all felt the pain (:
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Wizard

12 team league?
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Yea 12 team league.