Thread: To keep or not to keep Samsonov

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default To keep or not to keep Samsonov

First, thank you in advance for helping me deciding what to do with my keepers

We're expanding the rosters of our league during this offseason, adding 2 forwards, 1 def, and 1 goalie on the active lineup. (it's the first league in sig). Lineups will now include 9 forwards, 4 def and 2 goalers on the active lineup and 4 bench.

I have the luxury of picking 4th, 5th, 6th and 9th overall in this coming draft (which will also include the new crop of rookies).

Lately I've been musing the idea of keeping both Shesterkin and Samsonov. Samsonov can't be considered a rookie per NHL ruling but still, his contract and situation in WSH is very attractive. I do wonder if he might be picked before he falls to me at 4th. However picking him or keeping him leaves me with a very young goalie tandem and will likely need me to compensate by adding another goalie, and my bench is likely to be crowded with Kucherov and Pastrnak on the shelf.
    I'm wondering if I should drop someone like Hamilton instead. Other players that should be available in the first round include guys of the caliber of Konecny, Werenski, Teravainen, Theodore, Krug, Boeser... Basically young productive players with an okay contract for at least 2 years.

What do you suggest I do in this situation?
    Thanks!
    10-team Pts only, 19-man roster, 9F, 4D, 2G, 4bench 95M cap league
    F: T.Tompson Pasta Kaprizov Rantanen Gaudreau Necas Greig Zegras Vilardi
    D: Josi Bouchard Sandin Sanheim
    G Shesterkin Samsonov
    B: Woll Perfetti Poitras
    Farm: Guenther, Will Smith

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: To keep or not to keep Samsonov

I like samsonov but wouldn’t drop Hamilton for him myself

Dobber Sports Padawan

I don't know if it hurts or helps, but Kucherov is projected to miss the entire season and if so, he doesn't help you staying on your roster. I'm not an expert so take that as you will.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yeah I know, the kucherov news hit me hard. I'm going to keep him nevertheless unless someone offers an elite (healthy) player. But it impacts my planning because my bench will probably be crowded and I'm not sure if I'll be in contention this year. Hence the Samsonov conondrum.
    10-team Pts only, 19-man roster, 9F, 4D, 2G, 4bench 95M cap league
    F: T.Tompson Pasta Kaprizov Rantanen Gaudreau Necas Greig Zegras Vilardi
    D: Josi Bouchard Sandin Sanheim
    G Shesterkin Samsonov
    B: Woll Perfetti Poitras
    Farm: Guenther, Will Smith

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Have you tried to shop Samsonov? he should be pretty attractive as a trade target.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Have you tried to shop Samsonov? he should be pretty attractive as a trade target.
    So far the only sensible offer has been a third rounder. Right now I'm thinking I might rather let him go and hope to redraft him early (1st or 2nd rd) rather than be insured that I lose him by trading him to another contender

Dobber Sports Ace

I could be wrong, but in a 10 team, keep 7 league, there should be plenty of goaltending options available to draft, no? With picks 4-6, you just need to survive the first three picks to get Samsonov back. I don't know how early rookies go in your format, but I have to believe that Laf gets drafted, possibly even Byfield. If Kaprizov is available, he seems to be going really early with those guys, too. If I was picking top 3, as long as I had one decent goalie, I'd have a hard time passing up on Werenski.

All this to say that I would think that you could redraft Samsonov. And, if not, surely there will be other goalies available for you to pick. They are so up and down, year to year, that I, personally, don't fret over them too much.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

You're right that there should be plenty of options available!
    Thanks for everyone who took the time to reply, right now I am planning to release Samsonov and redraft him. Happy holiday

Dobber Sports Grand Master

If you expect comparable goalies to be out there in round 2, I'd even be willing to deal Samsonov, for a 3rd, frankly. You oculd use an extra pick with the injury situation.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.