Thread: Auction draft questions

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Auction draft questions

Im thinking about starting a new salary cap keeper league with live auction drafts. My main idea would be that instead of trade draft picks, you could trade points or cash for next years draft. Basically instead of a 3rd rounder going to another team, you send $15 in next years draft or whatever the amount would be.

My main question would be, is it possible to have drafts with teams having different money totals? Like one team has 120, because he loaded up on trades last season, and one team has 80 because he traded a bunch of money to try and win?
    Is this possible on yahoo or other sites?

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Auction draft questions

You can do this, but you should be prepared to do your own accounting. I've not seen a fantasy league website that can accommodate that kind of request.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Wooof.
    Too complicated.
    GMs will be in&out of the league like this complaining about favor-gifting between certain GMs.
    Don't like it.
    Won't work.
    #Experience

Dobber Sports Newbie

Ya I don't mind keeping track of it myself. I figured that would be the case. I just wasn't sure if you can even have a draft on Yahoo if the budgets are different amounts

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Wooof.
    Too complicated.
    GMs will be in&out of the league like this complaining about favor-gifting between certain GMs.
    Don't like it.
    Won't work.
    #Experience
    Thanks for your really helpful response. Noone asked for your opinion on the league

Dobber Sports Jedi

I haven't seen any settings like this on yahoo or fantrax. You could contact Fantrax IT and ask your question - they are likely your best bet

but I'm with Peng here... if you can't have a site run this for you it's too complicated. I'd expect a real high turnover of GM's in the first few years as it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea.
    I'd also have a contingency plan in place in case a team sells off 60% of their auction $ to win and then dumps the league in the off season.

side notes:
    1. if you post on forums expect unsolicited advice
    2. you might not like it, but there's a lot of value in his post.
    3. try to remain objective when receiving replies.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Superstar

Agree with the other posters - you may see a big turnover in league. There may be interest but I doubt very many guys would want to put a lot of effort into tracking.
    One thing you could look at is maybe having your salary cap for start of year then increasing it once the season begins to encourage trading and participation. I.E. $100M then increase to $125 once season starts then back to $100m thew following season so the teams that loaded up by trading draft picks can't keep all their guys. Just a thought.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Pro

I really like the idea and think it would be really fun, but maybe don’t try it unless you’ve got a bunch of friends lined up who are ready to dedicate at least 5 years to it and get used to it. That’s how I started my keeper league and it allows for some grace to tweak and figure out fine details in the first few years.
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews
    LW - Draisaitl
    RW - ​​Marner
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey
    G -
    B -

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6,7
    '25 - Extra 1st, Extra 2nd /// ‘26 - 2 Extra 1sts, 2 Extra 2nds
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, M. Tkachuk