Thread: Traded For Thornton, Good Move?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Traded For Thornton, Good Move?

hey guys i am new here
    in my keeper pool (20 teams), goals and assist are worth 25 pts each, and 3 pts for each PIM, +/- also counts

I dealt:
    Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Eric Staal, Ales Hemsky

I got back:
    Joe Thornton, Nathan Horton, Patric Bergeron, Ladislav Nagy

just wondering if it was a good move

heres my new roster:
    Michalek Thornton Horton
    Nagy Bergeron Huselius
    Avery M.Koivu Brown
    Tambellini Lupul Bernier

thanks for you help in advance!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re:Traded For Thornton, Good Move?

I personnaly think you\'re on the losing end o this deal... Bergeron and Nagy on poor Defensive teams will lower your +- big time... you do have an upgrade on PIM though and I predict a loss of 30-40 pts on the scoresheet... Stall will rebound big time this year and so will Carolina ( meaning better +- for him) and so will Hemsky... 10-12 points more than last year... I do like Horton though... he\'ll pull through for you in 2-3 years along with a better Panthers team...
    Juuuuuuuuuust a bit outside...

Dobber Sports Icon

I actually think that it\'s a pretty even trade. Horton and Bergeron are two of the best young prospects, thornton is obviously amazing, and nagy can bounce back in a huge way in a scoring system like l.a.

You do give up the sedins though and eric staal and his 100 point potential, and hemsky... but until hemsky gets someone to play with, he\'s limited...

I think you made a good horizontal (no clear winner or loser) move for now and the future. Plus, you definitely got the most quality guy in the deal and that\'s important.
    12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW

blindedbyfear

I look at it this way:

You traded Staal and Sedin for Thornton and Bergeron

Well, I mean, you got Joe Thornton. To get Joe Thornton you have to give. It\'s pretty even IMO and if Thornton is the best player in the deal then you win.

Then it\'s Horton and Nagy vs Sedin and Hemsky

If Horton hits his potential he may be the best player in the bunch. If Nagy comes back he\'ll be great.

Sedin is Sedin and you hope Hemsky figures out a way to play on a decent offensive team. Which is what the guy you\'re dealing with hopes as well.

This is a really, really good trade for him and a good trade for you. You definitely gave to get but you got the best player in the deal. Very even.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

thanks a lot ^^

i have gotten offers to flip horton for cheechoo, i am kinda reluctant to make such a move because IMO horton will really breakout this year, however, by getting cheechoo i would have the entire top line of the sharks (Michalek thornton cheechoo), i also save a tid bit of cap space that i need... what do you think?

Dobber Sports Genius

i agree you got the elite player with the aquisition of thorton,who shines through in this deal,smoothmove.
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Dobber Sports Apprentice

not a big fan of cheechoo. imo i think michalek has the ability to push cheechoo right off the 1st line to allow for a more balanced attack. i also think that michalek can score 50 with Joe just as easily as cheechoo did. on the flip side i really like horton. like you said i think he\'s gonna break out real soon as well. the whole team shud be rdy for a slight rise, they got their goalie, they have a bit of help on the blueline and PP if murphy works out, all of their key elements are signed now i do believe and happy which is huge and they play in a division where any team at anytime can win it. couldn\'t ask for a better script for them this year. i\'d keep horton, pass on cheechoo and if you want him that bad offer something different like wolski, thats prolly about even imo lol. hope this helps gl.
    H2H Points
    Protect- roster:18 + prospects:7
    F- Tavares, M.Richards, Lecavalier, Kovalchuk, Horton, Hossa, Purcell, Hartnell, Pominville, Simmonds
    D- Doughty, Hedman, Boyle, Meszaros, Wideman
    G- Fleury, Halak, Vokoun

Prospects-
    F- Bowman, Coyle, Adam, Zibenajad, Geoffrion
    D- Savard, Wishart
    G- Hackett, Jones

Dobber Sports Prodigy

87Flyer wrote:
    not a big fan of cheechoo. imo i think michalek has the ability to push cheechoo right off the 1st line to allow for a more balanced attack. i also think that michalek can score 50 with Joe just as easily as cheechoo did. on the flip side i really like horton. like you said i think he\'s gonna break out real soon as well. the whole team shud be rdy for a slight rise, they got their goalie, they have a bit of help on the blueline and PP if murphy works out, all of their key elements are signed now i do believe and happy which is huge and they play in a division where any team at anytime can win it. couldn\'t ask for a better script for them this year. i\'d keep horton, pass on cheechoo and if you want him that bad offer something different like wolski, thats prolly about even imo lol. hope this helps gl.
    wait a minute, how did you know i had wolski?...