Thread: Brooke Henderson- youngest PGA major winner

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Brooke Henderson- youngest PGA major winner

*Youngest Winner of the Women's PGA Championship (formerly the LPGA Championship)- Check

*One of only 3 Canadians to win a Golf Major (Sandra Post [1968 LPGA Championship] and Mike Weir [2003 Masters])- Check

*Ranked # 2 in the World rankings as an 18 year old LPGA rookie- Check

*Get a hole-in-one in the opening round and win a car- Check

*Make your small Eastern Ontario home town and all of Ontario and Canada proud- Check

*Be an even better person than golfer- Check

From ESPN: SAMMAMISH, Wash. -- If you want anything more from a golf tournament -- heck, from any kind of sporting event -- than what the KPMG Women's PGA Championship delivered Sunday, your expectations require a reality check.

On a sunny afternoon at Sahalee Country Club, where Hall of Famers Vijay Singh and Bernhard Langer had won majors, Brooke Henderson, Lydia Ko and Ariya Jutanugarn starred in an instant classic that needed an extra hole before it was over.

It was a Hall of Fame-type shot by Henderson that decided the playoff over Ko after they tied at 6-under-par 278, one stroke ahead of Jutanugarn, a 7-iron to three feet from 155 yards to set up a winning birdie on the 412-yard 18th hole.

"I just got outplayed," said (Lydia) Ko, who was full of praise for Henderson. "For Brooke to shoot 65 on the final day of a major at a course like this, it's very impressive. And in the playoff hole, for her to take the 'Tiger line' just right of the left trees, and then going right for the pin from the perfect yardage, she just played great."

Congratulations Brooke Henderson!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Brooke Henderson- youngest PGA major winner

Great thread!
    Great for her too! (And Canada!)
    She's like a blonde-haired Winnie Cooper to watch her interview! (and has that wonderful Canadian modesty in her demeanor)
    http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/1...st-major-title

Dobber Sports Titan

Congrats to her!
    Makes you wonder what we've been busy doing the last 18 years...
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports All-Star

Thanks for posting. This is an amazing feat and Canada should be proud. I believe Ko, the player she beat in the playoff, is the youngest to win a major and Henderson is now the 2nd youngest. The last threat Canada has had of any kind in the LPGA was Lori Kane at least a decade ago and she was no where near this good. The South Koreans have dominated the LPGA lately, so this is a breath of fresh air for Canadian golf in general.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Great post, was going to add something about her myself this morning. I was channel surfing and came across her playing the back-9 and had to stay to watch it unfold. The demeanor and nerve she demonstrated thru the back-9 and playoff was unbelievable for any professional athlete let alone am 18-year-old. Here's hoping this is the first of many major wins.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

This isn't getting the coverage it deserves, pretty much because it was happening during the SCF. This is pretty cool, and I know less than nothing about golf.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares, Hertl
    LW - DeBrincat, Boldy, Lafreniere
    RW - Meier, Miller, Boeser, Nichushkin
    D - Dobson, Karlsson
    G - Jarry, Luukkonen

From Brooke's Wikipedia page-

"Henderson won the Canadian Women's Amateur in 2013 and finished runner-up at the 2014 U.S. Women's Amateur. While still an amateur, she won three events on the CN Canadian Women's Tour and finished tied for 10th place in the U.S. Women's Open at age 16. She won numerous amateur tournaments[2] and was the top-ranked woman amateur golfer in the world before turning professional in December 2014.

Henderson was named the Canadian female athlete of the year for 2015. She won her first major at age 18 in 2016 at the KPMG Women's PGA Championship, becoming the event's youngest winner."

While her rise to the top has been rapid, she is definitely not a "one-and-done". We will only be hearing more of this girl's name in the future. During an interview with the manager of her hometown club in Smiths Falls, he said she has the "it" factor and that became apparent quite early in her career.

She quickly surpassed older sister Brittany who herself is a pro playing on the Symetra tour but now mostly caddies for her. She had a tough decision whether or not to turn down a US College golf scholarship and turn pro but she is making everyone involved in the decision look smart as she continues to climb the rankings and now sits at #2 in the world.

Brooke is a well rounded athlete and probably could have attained a scholarship playing hockey as she was a very talented goalie as well.

Brooke has an amazing work ethic, is focused, calm and fearless and seems to have the self-confidence to keep her nerves in check when it matters most.

I am lucky enough to know her family and the grounded people they are and the support and guidance they give her. She is as genuine and humble as she appears, and is a breathe of fresh air to golf and sports in general.

Brooke Henderson- "Thank you to all the fans who came out to support us KPMG Women's PGA Championship this week. What an unbelievable week... one I will never forget! I feel blessed to add my name to this amazing trophy and so grateful to my sister Brit for being with me every step of the way!!"

Dobber Sports Superstar

Big win for Brooke Henderson yesterday winning the Canadian Women's Open by 4 shots! First time in 45 years a Canadian has won it! and she's still only 20 years old.

I suspect this thread will be getting bumped plenty over the coming years.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Icon

Regina was an absolute buzz this past week with the Open here..plus Brooke isnt terrible to look at either..
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson, Fantilli, Norris
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Drysdale
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR-
    IR-
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 1, 4, 5, 8
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yeah, she okay.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket