Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Coaches challenge on off-sides is total bullshit

The Great One

Default Re: Coaches challenge on off-sides is total bullshit

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Good point. The technology to make this a black and white call is there though. The NHL just hasn't adapted to it yet. These blurry camera angles is horrible.
    I said that earlier in this thread!

Hercules

Make a wrong challenge a bigger penalty than a lost timeout. Also if you remove TVs and the little man in the assistant’s ears, these calls will lower. The borderline challenges won’t happen. A coach will only challenge the Duchene like offsides, not these close ones.

It’s not bad the challenges, they just happen so much. Make it that the “obvious” calls will get challenged. A coach used a challenge on a play he knew was onside just to get a longer timeout this yr. He knew the challenge would be 30s+.

- - - Updated - - -

Make a wrong challenge a bigger penalty than a lost timeout. Also if you remove TVs and the little man in the assistant?s ears, these calls will lower. The borderline challenges won?t happen. A coach will only challenge the Duchene like offsides, not these close ones.

It?s not bad the challenges, they just happen so much. Make it that the ?obvious? calls will get challenged. A coach used a challenge on a play he knew was onside just to get a longer timeout this yr. He knew the challenge would be 30s+.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Puck tracking technology. This exists. Invest and get it done, and get it right.
    I remember reading a while ago, that the shape of the puck makes it a little difficult to track perfectly. The argument was, that because a puck isn't a sphere shape, it could be dependent on the orientation of the puck. For instance, if the puck is flat on the ice, it may not be completely across the line. However, if it was in exactly the same north-south location, but standing on its edge, it could be completely across the line. I don't know if they were just making excuses as to why we shouldn't use something like tennis's eagle-eye, or not, but I can understand if that is a legitimate concern.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Sage

So they waste 10 minutes AND get the call wrong.

Get rid of it.

- - - Updated - - -

So they waste 10 minutes AND get the call wrong.

Get rid of it.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Guru

It's a simple solution. Just do what the NFL does. The refs have two minutes to look at replay and make a decision. If they can't determine it in the two minutes, call on the ice stands. If it later turns out the call was wrong, tough luck.

This way you still get the review, but it doesn't take an eternity.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a simple solution. Just do what the NFL does. The refs have two minutes to look at replay and make a decision. If they can't determine it in the two minutes, call on the ice stands. If it later turns out the call was wrong, tough luck.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post

I totally agree with this. I didn't even know it's used on NFL but that's the perfect solution. Maybe even less than 2 minutes actually. If it's clearly an off-side, you can see it within 5 seconds. If it's not clearly off-side, then who cares.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Trying to create a perfect game that is free of any error is impossible. Somewhere there is a line between getting it 'right enough' and not ruining the entertainment value. This seems to have crossed the line. So much of the game relies on judgement calls from officials. It's strange that they pick this particular thing to try and "fix".

Dobber Sports Star

Bump.
    Yep. Still bullshit.

My experience of watching NHL has completely changed due to this BS rule. After every single goal, I am neither thrilled nor disappointed, depending on who I'm cheering for. I am simply anxious and float in this moment of "oh shit, was that offside??".

There could not be a clearer example of technology going too far and ruining the game. A player in mid stride straddling across the blue line like Malkin the other day, or a millimetre past the blue line ahead of the puck on the far side of the play like I just saw in Nashville is so maddening to see overturned.

As I have said previously, around the net go for it with reviews and replays to get it right, but offside reviews simply has to go. I would rather just trust in the officials to get it right 95% of the time and chaulk the rest of it to human error verses these painful reviews which have sucked the fun out of watching for me.

I really don't get it. A league that is so desperate to generate an exciting product implements the biggest energy sucking device possible - at least once a game it seems the home crowd goes from celebrating a goal to instantly plunging into an uncertain anxiety, then to utter disappointment as the G is wiped from exisitance because the guy on the other side of the ice was an inch ahead of the play.

Call me old school but the sight of players scrambling to watch a f'ing IPAD on the bench and video replays on off sides is not at all what I want to see when I tune in to an NHL game.
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue