Thread: Another who to keep? (Multi part question and REP!!!)

The Great One

Default Another who to keep? (Multi part question and REP!!!)

So we keep 14 right up until before the draft and then cut to 12. You CAN try to trade those two extra assets but in my experience it is very difficult. I had a fairly reasonable gameplan but this clown show off-season has turned everything on its head- lol!!

My for sure keepers:
    F- Malkin, Forsberg, Skinner, Eberle, E Kane, Keller, E Lindholm
    D- Byfuglien, Ghost, Trouba
    G- Vasilevskiy

* Notes- Ill inlcude the scoring cats but E Kane is a must keep in this format (sog/goal heavy) and on top of that I like him more than most because I think his rep seems to bring down his perceived value. Also earlier in the off-season I had some feedback to consider dropping Keller- but Im bullish on him- will definitely be keeping him. E Lindholm I paid a price to acquire in my own other league and I think his status as an "analytics darling" is warranted and next year is his "for real" breakout ( *clears throat* for serious this time :P ).

So anyways thats 11. Its basically a 2 horse race here between Shea theodore and Robin Lehner for my last "locked in pick". The other wrinkle is that this is a re-building year and Ive managed to condense all my picks in a six round draft into fourt first rounders, and two second rounders. So half the battle here might be deciding which guy is an easier re-draft target. That being said heres my thought process/predicament...

Theodore KEEP argument- Hes the number one ranked fantasy dman prospect through the site. There is a good chance he will be given every opportunity to take over that Vegas blueline. Theres another eason that is not super relevant but something I always seem to weigh too heavily- I own him in my one other league. I generally do well in fantasy hockey- but this is a weaknees- I almost always overvalue guys I own in concurrent leagues. Never sold the farm for this reason- but have overpaid slightly for this reason- this is also the reason I need feedback- lol! I also think the hype train is in full effect- hopefully warranted- but even as trade bait I think he has a lot of value rather than a straight drop.

Theodore DROP argument- Ive never went into a draft in this league with more than two d-men. Its a goal/sog heavy league and d-men just dont make their bacon in those cats generally. I currently have Byfuglien, Ghost and Trouba so hed make a FOURTH. Factor in that Theodore is tentatively pencilled in as a 3rd pairing d-man and that he may be a bit of a wait- I worry if Im overvaluing in a keep 12 format. Also VGK will not be an offensive powerhouse.

Lehner KEEP argument- He had a pretty respectable campaign statwise despite his win/loss woes. Buffalo could take a step forward pretty quickly if Eichel stays healthy and could gegt some blueline support. They added Scandella and to a lesser extent beaulieau so they have already addressed some of said defensive shortcomings.

Lehner DROP argument- I actually really like Lehner here- lol! My biggest drop argument has less to do with him than it does to with keeper strategy. As I mentioned I have 4 1sts, and 2 2nds in our 6 round draft next year. So Im kind of hoping with that amount of 1sts I can re-draft him. Failing that there are intriguing options like Darling, Raanta and to a lesser extent Lack and Mason. I feel like his percieved value had nowhere to go but up which means he could drop wheras I really dont Theodore would. His number one ranking on here is a big deal as I think most of my league reads this site.

Lol- LASTLY!!!

Assuming I keep Lehner or Theodore as my thirteenth "temporary" keeper. Who is my 14th?? Basically going for trade value here. Will likely not to keep him but may be able to package them for a pick or an upgrade during pre-season talks. These guys are only kept right up until two days before our draft so theres a very real chance they become a straight up dropper unless I can move them. Options are:

Dubois, Konecny, and Deangelo

*** Yikes that was a mouthful- definitely dishing out rep for thoughtful answers- cheers!!!!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Another who to keep? (Multi part question and REP!!!)

Keep Theodore over Lehner.

Then I would grab Dubois for trade value even though this year DeAngelo could very well have the most immediate returns.
    20 team keeper: 20 players. no farm.
    Goals=2 pts---Assists=1 pt-----DG=3-----Wins=3.5-----SO=4

G: Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen....Bobrovsky
    D: Fox....Bouchard....Letang....Heiskanen....Perunovi ch....Zellweger....Toews....Ekholm

F: Eichel....Caufield....J Robertson....W Nylander....Kucherov
    Eklund....W Johnston....Peterka....Fiala....Bratt

2012 Third Place
    2013 Runner Up
    2014 Iron League Champion
    2015 Iron League Champion
    2016 Runner-Up
    2017 Third Place

2018 4th
    2019 18th-rebuild

2020 10th
    2021 8th