Poll: Pens or Preds?

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Stanley Cup Final: Pittsburgh Penguins vs Nashville Predators

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Stanley Cup Final: Pittsburgh Penguins vs Nashville Predators

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I don't think he should, he hasn't even dominated his own era in a way you can clearly and without debate argue he's the best player in the league every year. Last year Kane hands down, Ovie in previous years, Malkin over Sid in a couple, no McDavid. this pulls the thread completely off track, but over the past 12years, yes, I'd agree the best over that period, but he's been up and down. Gretzky, Howe, Orr, they dominated everyone every night, ever year.

Sid doesn't do that. Hell, this playoffs, Malkin has outshined him almost nightly.

Karlsson (as much as it chokes me to say so) does. I think there should be more discussion of Karlsson being the best in the NHL of the past 10 years, especially the past 3 where he's developed some defensive ability
    Lemiuex outshined Gretzky on lots of occasions, if that's your argument. Orr is the only one who there was no debate in his era about who was the best.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Lemiuex outshined Gretzky on lots of occasions, if that's your argument. Orr is the only one who there was no debate in his era about who was the best.
    Was there a second or third player better then Wayne? I can see the McDavid - Crosby vs. Lemieux - Gretzky comparisons... a second generational talent to come along mid-career. But take a look at scoring titles, individual awards. 21 straight years the Hart was won by Jagr, Lemieux or Gretzky. In 12 years, how many has Sid won? I listed several players that have been better than Sid in individual years... until Gretzky's later years, there's only one name that can be put into conversation with Gretz. that's the difference.

Crosby can't even win a scoring title in his prime. How can an argument be made he's one of the greatest of all time? You need to dominate your era, he stands out in this era, but he isn't dominating it.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Was there a second or third player better then Wayne? I can see the McDavid - Crosby vs. Lemieux - Gretzky comparisons... a second generational talent to come along mid-career. But take a look at scoring titles, individual awards. 21 straight years the Hart was won by Jagr, Lemieux or Gretzky. In 12 years, how many has Sid won? I listed several players that have been better than Sid in individual years... until Gretzky's later years, there's only one name that can be put into conversation with Gretz. that's the difference.

Crosby can't even win a scoring title in his prime. How can an argument be made he's one of the greatest of all time? You need to dominate your era, he stands out in this era, but he isn't dominating it.
    I mean the Kane and Ovechkin comparisons are laughable. They're ones you're making, but they aren't legitimate. Crosby is 5th all time in career PPG and missed 2 full seasons of his ACTUAL prime. Malkin and Ovechkin aren't all that close, and Kane is an afterthought.

Crosby has dominated his era. Easily. He'll just have to retire before people actually appreciate that fact.

Just like LeBron is probably better than Jordan, but nostalgia clouds the point.

Nostalgia vs. hot takes is clouding your judgement.

Crosby has been the best player in the NHL every season since he entered the league.

Yes including last season. Yes including this season. No point really discussing it with someone who clearly can't look past "yea but points though". Sure this is 1982, where our analysis of talent can't go beyond the stats sheet. Enjoy yourself.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I mean the Kane and Ovechkin comparisons are laughable. They're ones you're making, but they aren't legitimate. Crosby is 5th all time in career PPG and missed 2 full seasons of his ACTUAL prime. Malkin and Ovechkin aren't all that close, and Kane is an afterthought.

Crosby has dominated his era. Easily. He'll just have to retire before people actually appreciate that fact.

Just like LeBron is probably better than Jordan, but nostalgia clouds the point.

Nostalgia vs. hot takes is clouding your judgement.

Crosby has been the best player in the NHL every season since he entered the league.

Yes including last season. Yes including this season. No point really discussing it with someone who clearly can't look past "yea but points though". Sure this is 1982, where our analysis of talent can't go beyond the stats sheet. Enjoy yourself.
    I'd rather debate with Iron Ev.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Immortal

Not sure how I feel about the 2 day breaks later on in the series. Loved how the Conference Finals were every other day

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Not sure how I feel about the 2 day breaks later on in the series. Loved how the Conference Finals were every other day
    NHL had to prepare for an Anaheim to Ottawa travel day. Consequence of releasing the schedule before the final teams are set.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

NHL had to prepare for an Anaheim to Ottawa travel day. Consequence of releasing the schedule before the final teams are set.
    Makes sense... just be glad they don't go to to the 2-3-2 series haha

Dobber Sports Guru

Something that gets talked about every year, but I haven't seen anything this year. Usually after a team wins a cup, the second person to get it is a player near the end of his career.

So who would it be this year?

My guess for Pittsburgh would be Ron Hainsey. He never even played an NHL postseason game until this year.

Nashville is much harder. I could see it going to Rinne, or else they'll just go randomly. I wonder if Ribeiro would get his name on the cup and a cup ring if the Preds win.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

The Great One

Pretty sure players who play half the season (41 games) or one playoff game gets their name engraved on the cup.

Hornqvist is in the lineup for tonight.

Fisher and Smith are game time decisions.

As for handing the cup off. Fisher to Rinne for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Something that gets talked about every year, but I haven't seen anything this year. Usually after a team wins a cup, the second person to get it is a player near the end of his career.

So who would it be this year?

My guess for Pittsburgh would be Ron Hainsey. He never even played an NHL postseason game until this year.

Nashville is much harder. I could see it going to Rinne, or else they'll just go randomly. I wonder if Ribeiro would get his name on the cup and a cup ring if the Preds win.
    I bet Sid would give it to Fleury. Fisher will definitely give it to Rinne.

I bet Sid would give it to Fleury. Fisher will definitely give it to Rinne.
    This would be interesting... I wonder if it is the first time in history the cup will get passed off to a goalie that did not play in the game/series.

Based on tenure, and the fact it's probably their last game with Pittsburgh, I would imagine the first 5 to touch the cup are in some order Fleury, Kunitz, Cullen, and Hainsey. I don't think it will be Hainsey because he's only been there since the trade deadline.

I could see Sid -> Kunitz -> Fleury -> Cullen -> Hainsey

On Nashville, I don't even think there's another option other than Rinne. Fisher is the other obvious one but he's the captain. Unless the fully embrace troll and give it to Subban, I can't see it being anyone else. Maybe RyJo if they can get him on skates.

The Great One

Agree that is has to be Rinne on Nashville. There is no 2nd choice there.

In Pittsburgh, it's a tougher call. If Hainsey is super popular in the room, I could see it going to him. Can't really argue with RATAYLOR's list though, there is a certain logic to it.

Dobber Sports Titan

I agree with Fisher passing it to Rinne, but I could also see it going to Fiala or RJ right off the start.

As for who gets their name on the cup, I'm pretty sure there's only 25 slots (or some number close to that). NSH has had a bunch of great fill ins, especially on F, so I don't see any room for Ribeiro.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)