Thread: Windshield Washer Fluid Rant.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Windshield Washer Fluid Rant.

So I got an oil change in October from a Mr. Lube. Didn’t think much of it, so this morning I’m driving to work, get a dirty windshield and spray the washer fluid. Nothing. The damn stuff froze. I’m pissed and my windshield is crazy dirty. I make it to work I look in the reservoir. It’s frozen SOLID. The damn people at Mr. Lube put crap washer fluid in the car (I only buy -40C stuff even in the summer) because I don’t have a garage. So now I have to use my heat gun to heat up the reservoir, waste gas leaving it idle to thaw the lines out and flush the system out of any crap fluid. Oh God I’m pissed. And this is assuming nothing has cracked because of the freezing!
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: Windshield Washer Fluid Rant.

Did you check your invoice? Usually when they top off fluids, they will list the price and sometimes list the quality of the product. If it's written -40 or premium next to your washer fluid, I would take a picture or 2 of your fluid tank with my phone and go back to the garage after work if it's on your way.

You probably won'y get much, if anything, but as a customer, you are allowed (and in this case entitled) to voice your displeasure on the matter.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Cooley, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Did you check your invoice? Usually when they top off fluids, they will list the price and sometimes list the quality of the product. If it's written -40 or premium next to your washer fluid, I would take a picture or 2 of your fluid tank with my phone and go back to the garage after work if it's on your way.

You probably won'y get much, if anything, but as a customer, you are allowed (and in this case entitled) to voice your displeasure on the matter.
    I keep them only for a month when it’s just an oil change. I didn’t even think this would happen, just never occurred to me.

If this happens to anyone, avoid putting any type of alcohol in your washer fluid (will sit on the car paint job and eat through the clear coat), don’t do coolant (might eat through the plastic lines and ruin your paint again).

This sucks, but hopefully nothing popped.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I avoid Mr. Lube, I find them twice the price as a dealership when it comes to oil changes. Kal-Tire gets all my business, good prices & best service going.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I avoid Mr. Lube, I find them twice the price as a dealership when it comes to oil changes. Kal-Tire gets all my business, good prices & best service going.
    I was due (like really due), I had no time to wait around at a Canadian tire or whatever. So I bit the bullet. I guess they were still in “summer mode”, but damn does this annoy me.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I was due (like really due), I had no time to wait around at a Canadian tire or whatever. So I bit the bullet. I guess they were still in “summer mode”, but damn does this annoy me.
    At least they didn't get the washer fluid and oil confused with each other coz THAT would have been bad (although the oil probably would not have frozen in your reservoir... so, silver lining)

This is why I change my oil myself and live in a city where the all time record low is -19C (and that was 120yrs ago!)
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    At least they didn't get the washer fluid and oil confused with each other coz THAT would have been bad (although the oil probably would not have frozen in your reservoir... so, silver lining)

This is why I change my oil myself and live in a city where the all time record low is -19C (and that was 120yrs ago!)
    I do most repairs myself, but oil changes are just not worth it normally for me. But this time I guess it was L.

It’s not even like it was THAT cold. -10ish but feels like -25 but wind shouldn’t matter for this situation.

Dobber Sports Master

Do what my father does...instead of windshield washer fluid, he just drives real slow on slushy days, waits for impatient drivers to pass him, then uses their tire splash and spray as an all natural windshield washing fluid. Now mind you, you do have to drive around sometimes without being able to see very well, but there are pros and cons about every money saving hack there is.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    So I got an oil change in October from a Mr. Lube. Didn’t think much of it, so this morning I’m driving to work, get a dirty windshield and spray the washer fluid. Nothing. The damn stuff froze. I’m pissed and my windshield is crazy dirty. I make it to work I look in the reservoir. It’s frozen SOLID. The damn people at Mr. Lube put crap washer fluid in the car (I only buy -40C stuff even in the summer) because I don’t have a garage. So now I have to use my heat gun to heat up the reservoir, waste gas leaving it idle to thaw the lines out and flush the system out of any crap fluid. Oh God I’m pissed. And this is assuming nothing has cracked because of the freezing!
    haha.. Nice

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    Do what my father does...instead of windshield washer fluid, he just drives real slow on slushy days, waits for impatient drivers to pass him, then uses their tire splash and spray as an all natural windshield washing fluid. Now mind you, you do have to drive around sometimes without being able to see very well, but there are pros and cons about every money saving hack there is.
    I'm pretty sure i've helped your dad on more than one occasion.