Thread: He wants a D and I need a starter

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default He wants a D and I need a starter

He has Krug and Monahan that I'd like to try to buy low on.
    His goalies are Jones, Talbot, Bobrovsky, & Dubnyk.

I am thinking of offering
    my (Niskanen or Goligoski), Mikael Granlund, Ward
    for
    his Krug, Dubnyk.

Not enough? Any ideas?
    Points only Team in sig.
    10 Team Keeper League. 2017 Champion
    Points only. H2H weekly changes. 36 player roster, dress 20 players - 12 F, 6 D, 2 G.

Forwards: (G=1, A=1)
    Patrick Kane, Stamkos, Tarasenko, Wheeler, Marchand, Barzal, Voracek, Svechnikov, Mikael Granlund, Keller, Kevin Hayes, Borgstrom, Stepan, Dvorak, Schmaltz, Yamamoto, Tolvanen

Defence: (G=1, A=1)
    Shattenkirk, Byfuglien, Gostisbehere, Giordano, Goligoski, Niskanen, Montour, Severson, Girard, Boqvist, Brännström, Honka

Goalies: (W=2 + SO=2)
    Frederik Andersen, Crawford

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: He wants a D and I need a starter

If I was the other GM, that offer wouldn't interest me in the slightest. It seems like you are trying to dump your old farts on him.

I find it hard to buy low in keeper leagues because any GM with a grain of salt isn't going to move out someone like Sean Monahan because he's off to a slow start. You wait those guys out to turn it around.

You can make the offer to him, but I would be shocked if he accepted. If it was me, I am not sure I would even counter offer if you were to think this was a good deal. Not to mention, you state he wants D so why would he move Krug?

I honestly can't see the other GM wanting ANY of the guys you are tempted to propose in your offer. You cant ask for his best players (and I am sure in his eyes, guys like Monahan and Dubnyk are a couple of better players) and offer most of your worst.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    If I was the other GM, that offer wouldn't interest me in the slightest. It seems like you are trying to dump your old farts on him.

I find it hard to buy low in keeper leagues because any GM with a grain of salt isn't going to move out someone like Sean Monahan because he's off to a slow start. You wait those guys out to turn it around.

You can make the offer to him, but I would be shocked if he accepted. If it was me, I am not sure I would even counter offer if you were to think this was a good deal. Not to mention, you state he wants D so why would he move Krug?

I honestly can't see the other GM wanting ANY of the guys you are tempted to propose in your offer. You cant ask for his best players (and I am sure in his eyes, guys like Monahan and Dubnyk are a couple of better players) and offer most of your worst.

I've done this before, and on occasion it has worked, especially if the GM feels he is in the hunt for the title and his slumping star is holding him back. However, it is also a way to have GMs in your league not want to trade with you as they begin to suspect/feel that everything you offer is lopsided in your favour. I've tried to be more fair with the offers I make now, and the results are twofold: my team is doing better, and more GMs are willing to trade with me.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

The Wolverine

I echo the comments above. He would have no interest in that deal. He'd be giving up the three best players, by far.

My suggestion to you - keep it simple and focused. Looking at your subject (he needs a D and you need a starter), perhaps an offer around Gostisbehere for Jones. His other goalies are playing well so perhaps he's willing to part with a slumping Jones, and Gostisbehere is the shiny new D that a lot of GMs are targeting these days. If you want to buy low, Jones would be my target. Perhaps you'll need to make it a 2-for-2, but I emphasize keeping the offer focused, looking at his needs as well as trying to fill yours.

Dobber Sports Deity

Thats certainly better but again, not sure he'll bite. Again, you say he wants D so why would he move out Krug if that's the case. If it was me, I'd probably want that type of return for Dubnyk alone, let alone adding in Krug.

By the way, what Granlund?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by rempel1 View Post
    Thanks guys.
    I kind of figured it wasn't enough to start talks. Glad I asked.

What about this,
    my (Niskanen or Goligoski), Granlund, Ward
    for
    his Krug, Dubnyk

I have some extra picks I could add too
    Why would he give up his best goalie for depth? If I were that owner I would reject instantly. Dubynk's value is sky high no combination of those players would come close to getting Dubnyk IMO.

For a suggestion, see my other post.

Dobber Sports Pro

Don't waste your time. No one I know would give up Dubnyk for what your offering. Krug would be a good target IMO.
    HTH Daily League, 8 teams, (goals, ppp, +/-, assists, SOG, W, GAA, SV%) keepers in Bold.

C (s3) EP40, ​Trocheck, Marchessault LW, Horvat

LW (s3) Johnny Hockey, Parise, Terivinen RW, Meier RW
    RW(s3) Wheeler C, Taresenko, Atkinson, Gallagher
    Until(s1)

D (s4) Carlson, Yandle, Jones, Trouba

G Dubnyk, Rittich, Markstrom, Binnington

IR Ehlers, Hall