Thread: Goalie Advice

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Goalie Advice

I would like to draft a third Goalie for my next pick. I currently have Bishop and Crawford as listed in my signature. How would you rank the available goalies listed below.

Greiss, Niemi, Lehtonen, Miller, Ward, Lack, Howard, Pickard, Pavelec, Hammond, Bernier
    12 Team Keeper League - 23 Man Roster - Keep 11
    (3 Keepers must be Prospects - Skaters under 200 GP or Goalies under 100 GP)
    G, A, PTS, +/-, PPG, PPA, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, SV, SV%, GAA, SO
    3 IR+, 2 IR, 1 NA

F - Larkin, Bergeron, Beniers, J. Staal, Pavelski, Benn Reinhart, Mantha, B. Schenn, Vrana, Keller, Schmaltz, Anderson, K. Johnson
    D - Seider, McAvoy, Werenski, Chabot, Heiskannen, Romanov
    G - Merzlikins, Sorokin

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: Goalie Advice

I have the same two keeper goalies as you I am also in the same boat for a third tender this year. Luckily, we have a few more options available in my league. My thoughts are that Ward, Miller and Pav, are the only starters on the list, but that said, they are on a short leash and could easily lose their starter status. I had Niemi as my 3rd tender last year and he made me a decent amount of points, but you never knew who was going to play on a given night and Ruff made you wait until the last second to set your line-ups. I will think more about this. Interested to see what other folks suggest to you.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Icon

I almost always recommend starters over a back up but when those starters are Miller and Pavelac... YUCK!!

I think I would recommend a strong back up in this circumstance and go with either Greiss or Pickard.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Depends what you are looking for, now or later. For now I'd go with Ward or Pavelec but with the understanding that they are just points for this year, it's not like you are gonna keep them! For later, I think I would go with Pickard.

As to if you go for now or later that is up to you. The now guys will get you some points this year. Pickard might get you points, but is more valuable longer term.
    15 Team, 2G, 5D, 10F, pts/+-, Protect 11, 5$/yr long term contracts, 200$ Salary Cap, Bidding Draft.

F: Elias Lindholm(8$), Jake Guentzel(11$), Josh Anderson(1$), Kevin Labanc(7$), William Nylander(13$), Alex Galchenyuk(2$)
    D: Victor Hedman(39$), Ryan Pulock(1$), Thomas Chabot(4$)
    G: Jacob Markstrom(1$), MacKenzie Blackwood(1$)*

Dobber Sports Novice

Thanks for your responses. Drafting Pickard probably makes the most sense. Pickard looks to be the future Avalanche goalie and should see the spotlight this year when Varlamov re-injures his groin.
    12 Team Keeper League - 23 Man Roster - Keep 11
    (3 Keepers must be Prospects - Skaters under 200 GP or Goalies under 100 GP)
    G, A, PTS, +/-, PPG, PPA, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, SV, SV%, GAA, SO
    3 IR+, 2 IR, 1 NA

F - Larkin, Bergeron, Beniers, J. Staal, Pavelski, Benn Reinhart, Mantha, B. Schenn, Vrana, Keller, Schmaltz, Anderson, K. Johnson
    D - Seider, McAvoy, Werenski, Chabot, Heiskannen, Romanov
    G - Merzlikins, Sorokin

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I would recommend not taking a 3rd goalie with the next pick. There has to be somebody at another position that separates himself from a pack way more than these guys do from each other.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Ace

Pickard, Greiss, Pavelec, Niemi, Lehtonen, Miller, Howard, Bernier, Lack, Ward, Hammond

Pickard and Greiss are the two backups on that list with a chance to steal the job on decent teams. Pav is a starter on a bubble playoff team who gets the crease until he gets hurt. Niemi and Lehtonen are the definition of a timeshare, and neither one is very good, but they play for a good team. Miller and Howard are both 1Bs at this point, and will likely get 35 starts at most and to win more than 15 would surprise me for either. Bernier will get 20 starts and win maybe 12 based on the team he's behind (unless Gibson gets hurt, at which point he'll get more starts, but likely only win 50% of them). Lack will start 52, Ward 30, but with Carolina looking like a basement dweller, I can't see either one being too valuable. Lastly Hammond will only get many more than 20 starts if Anderson cuts himself cooking again, and even with Ottawa being a decent team, he'll be hard pressed to win 60% of the starts he gets.
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso

Dobber Sports Initiate

Is helley available?
    ---------
    12 team ESPN H2H
    auction draft (260 budget)
    limited keeper (4 keepers)
    2016-17 Champion, 2017-18 Runner-up
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW
    W,SO,GAA,SV%
    Start 1 LW/C/RW, 3 D, 3 Util, 2 G