Thread: Penguins prospects

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Penguins prospects

it only took 10 years, but the penguins finally assembled a really good crop of forward prospects to play wing next to crosby and malkin. let's say the HBK line stays together for the foreseeable future, which prospects do you expect to get those top 6 wing spots long term? this year, it looks like sheary is playing with crosby and hornqvist, while rust is playing with malkin and kunitz. i expect kunitz to be near the end of his career, and i don't think anyone is sold on rust being a top 6 forward long term. which of the pens' prospects are gonna fill those awesome roles of crosby and malkin's wingers long term?

conor sheary
    bryan rust
    jake guentzel
    dominic simon
    daniel sprong
    tom kuhnhackl
    scott wilson

i suppose sprong is a shoe-in, although he's gonna get pushed down the ladder this year due to his injury. if sheary can hang with crosby, i assume he becomes his new running mate. guentzel is super talented, can't see him not being a top 6 forward. kuhnhackl looks like a 4th liner to me, and i don't think wilson gets much of a chance over these guys. what are everyone's thoughts on dominic simon? what's his upside?
    anyone else that i'm missing???

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Penguins prospects

I don't know too much about dominic simon but I think you were pretty spot on with the rest of the guys. I liked Sheary a lot during the playoffs and think he'll stick while as of now Rust can play on the second line to keep the Kessel line together. Sprong is close to a lock to take over a future top-six winger spot but in the near future, it will be hard for him. Also a big Guentzel fan and see him being a big part of the future while I don't see too much upside in Kuhnackl. Think he's a good bottom-six guy but not too much else