Thread: hockey trivia

Banned

Default hockey trivia

sort of a slow sunday night so here\'s some trivia for you, please no cheating, we all now how to use google

Who holds the record for most shots in a season?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default hockey trivia

Man, nobody\'s posted yet? I am the greetest but must leave now for no raisin.

Esposito. It\'s in the 500s. I\'m resisting the urge to Google to find out the true amount. I especially remember commentators asking if Ovechkin can/will touch it.

I always like hockey trivia, all leagues. My parents get me those books each year and, I have to say, you pull out some really good questions.

Now that I\'m registered, the whole world can watch me stick my foot in my mouth and see how slow on the draw I am! :P

edit: I should ask one in return: Does anyone know (again, no peeking!) the number of shots faced in a game? I just checked right now and it\'s crazy!
    G 1.5/A 1.25/+- .75/S .15/PPP 1/SHP 2.5
    GS .75/W 1.75/L -1/SO 4/GA .75/SA .15

C: Malkin; Getzlaf; Toews; Backstrom; Carter; Turris*; Frolik*; Oshie*
    L: Parise; Vanek; Clowe; Hartnell; Semin
    R: Hemsky; Doan; Setoguchi; Sullivan; Ryder; Giroux*
    D: Phaneuf; Green; Boyle; Timonen; McCabe; Barker; Yandle; Shattenkirk*; Goligoski*
    G: Luongo; Nabokov; Brodeur; Bernier*

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default hockey trivia

Phil Esposito with around 550 or so. Done in the early 70\'s while with the Bruins.
    Unorthodox KeeperH2H. 8 teams

FROLOV ZETTERBERG ERAT
    FILPULLA ROY BROWN
    CARCILLO GETZLAF STEEN
    WOLSKI OSHIE HORTON
    OKPOSO KOPITAR ZHERDEV
    BURROWS CROSBY STAFFORD
    UMBERGER BERGLUND SETOGUCHI
    NILSSON ANTROPOV SELANNE
    BACKLUND

SPACEK PICARD HUET
    JOVANOVSKI JONES BACKSTROM
    VISHNOVSKY TYUTIN LUNDQVIST
    MARKOV ROBIDAS GARON
    BURNS OHLUND ELLIOT
    CARLE WAGNER
    YANDLE SALMELA
    RUSSELL

Banned

Default hockey trivia

nicely done hojusimpson, you are correct, it was actually 550 which is absurd because Ovie\'s 420-something seemed like a ton and Phil did it in less games.

and you offered another qst which is great, lets keep this going to entertain ourselves, I\'m no trivia whiz like some folks but I enjoy playing

in terms of your qst I\'m going to guess Bobby Lunongo, I know he faces over 70-something in the playoffs the last time the nucks were in

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default hockey trivia

Around 80...

I remember a game about 20 years back when the Nordiques had an awful club where Ron Tugnutt blocked 70 out of 73 shots to provide the with a 3-3 tie with the Bruins!
    Unorthodox KeeperH2H. 8 teams

FROLOV ZETTERBERG ERAT
    FILPULLA ROY BROWN
    CARCILLO GETZLAF STEEN
    WOLSKI OSHIE HORTON
    OKPOSO KOPITAR ZHERDEV
    BURROWS CROSBY STAFFORD
    UMBERGER BERGLUND SETOGUCHI
    NILSSON ANTROPOV SELANNE
    BACKLUND

SPACEK PICARD HUET
    JOVANOVSKI JONES BACKSTROM
    VISHNOVSKY TYUTIN LUNDQVIST
    MARKOV ROBIDAS GARON
    BURNS OHLUND ELLIOT
    CARLE WAGNER
    YANDLE SALMELA
    RUSSELL

Dobber Sports Sage

Default hockey trivia

Back when the Ducks were the Mighty Ducks, and Guy Hebert was the starter, Guy was injured during a playoff series against the Detroit Red Wings. Mikhail Shtalenkov stepped in and stopped 70 straight shots. He finally choked and let in the 71st shot, which happened to be an overtime winner. What a heartbreak...

Guessing thats not the record, but hopefully it\'s close. Shtalenkov was the man and he deserved a win that night.
    @tlucarelli on twitter

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default hockey trivia

Well I dunno if the Tugnutt one holds up still...

but it was either this year or last year a backup faced like 75-76 shots... but I think it was pre-season...

in the playoffs 2 years ago there was a 5OT game... I would think ur answer comes from that and its around 83 is it not?

I will look it up but wont give an answer if im correct or way off base lol... :blush:
    Current Roster:

F: H Sedin, Plekanec, Perry, Cammalleri, Oshie, Stepan, Anisimov, Kunitz, Justin Williams, Little, Baertchi, Huberdeau, Eberle, Rattie, Hoffman, Holland, Horvat, Dano, Dal Colle, Kerdiles

D: Boumeester, Green, Carlson, Del Zotto, Myers, Alzner, M Staal, Pouliot, Gormley, Mueller

G: Varlamov, Mrazek, Niemi, Vasilevski, Ramo, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default hockey trivia

Jason_Banks wrote:
    Well I dunno if the Tugnutt one holds up still...

but it was either this year or last year a backup faced like 75-76 shots... but I think it was pre-season...

in the playoffs 2 years ago there was a 5OT game... I would think ur answer comes from that and its around 83 is it not?

I will look it up but wont give an answer if im correct or way off base lol... :blush:
    I got the answer and one of my #s is corect... but I\'m way off from when it is lol...

I dont think anyone will give an answer unless they look it up... Unless they are from the HHOF maybe lol...
    Current Roster:

F: H Sedin, Plekanec, Perry, Cammalleri, Oshie, Stepan, Anisimov, Kunitz, Justin Williams, Little, Baertchi, Huberdeau, Eberle, Rattie, Hoffman, Holland, Horvat, Dano, Dal Colle, Kerdiles

D: Boumeester, Green, Carlson, Del Zotto, Myers, Alzner, M Staal, Pouliot, Gormley, Mueller

G: Varlamov, Mrazek, Niemi, Vasilevski, Ramo, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default hockey trivia

Sorry for disappearing, everyone:

First on Esposito, yeah, that\'s incredible. Until you posted, it didn\'t click in that it\'d been in less games, too, but that makes sense. When Ovechkin\'s in his prime, maybe we\'ll see him come close to 500 but 550 would be 100 more than he\'s currently had.

As for the goalie, I stumbled onto this after answering because I wanted to know just how many Espo had. The answer I found on a few sites was this:

Sam LoPresti, 83, on March 4, 1941. His Blackhawks lost 3-2 to the Bruins.

For the so-called modern record, I would\'ve guessed Luongo but the answer, based on a search string of: modern NHL \"most shots faced in a game\" seems to be:

Ron Tugnutt, 73, on March 21, 1991. He stopped 70, helping his Nordiques to a 3-3 tie with Boston.

edit 1: +1 to MilleFeuilles for remembering Tugnutt. Jason_Banks, you nailed the 83 but not the game. Don\'t feel bad -- if anyone rattled off LoPresti, the number and the date, I would have nominated them trivia master of the year. :laugh:

edit 2: The great part about trivia, to me, isn\'t knowing but learning. So I\'ll ask a question I didn\'t know the answer to until a few years back. (hint: I guessed the recent two and was wrong):

What is the highest drafted brother combination in the NHL?

D: Phaneuf; Green; Boyle; Timonen; McCabe; Barker; Yandle; Shattenkirk*; Goligoski*

Dobber Sports Sage

Default hockey trivia

hojusimpson wrote:
    What is the highest drafted brother combination in the NHL?
    Gotta be the Sedins. #2 and #3 overall?
    @tlucarelli on twitter

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default hockey trivia

Sorry, duballstar014. That was my guess as well but the Sedins are not the highest.

Hint #2: While the Sedins still are not the highest (but are for twins), note I did not mention it was the same draft. B)

I will mention that there were another set of brothers to go 2nd and 3rd overall (different drafts). Bonus points to anyone knowing their names (surprising, at least to me!)

Dobber Sports Sage

Default hockey trivia

Guessing 2 Sutters then. I dont know their names well enough to get it 100%. There are like 70 out there! :laugh:
    @tlucarelli on twitter

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default hockey trivia

duballstar014 wrote:
    Guessing 2 Sutters then. I dont know their names well enough to get it 100%. There are like 70 out there! :laugh:
    I know, and there are more every time you blink! :laugh:

Sorry, it\'s not them, but I will give a third hint: you\'re getting closer to the era.

Banned

Default hockey trivia

how can it NOT be the Sutters somehow? lol

I\'m gonna guess the Mahovolich brothers

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default hockey trivia

mister_mcgoo wrote:
    how can it NOT be the Sutters somehow? lol

I\'m gonna guess the Mahovolich brothers
    The Sutters were rather impressive, seeing as four went in the top 20.

The two brothers in question, however, actually went 1st and 2nd overall four years apart.

To answer my other question, Wayne Babych went 3rd overall in 1978 to St. Louis and brother Dave went 2nd to Winnipeg in 1980, joining the Sedins as the second highest brother combinations drafted in the NHL.

edit: I\'ll be away for a little bit so I wanted to post this: Check out the last set of brothers before the twin section. Are you as surprised as I was?

mister_mcgoo and duballstar014, you\'ll both be getting one Karma apiece for trying (I\'ll award one, then the other once the system resets). It\'s one of those questions that, in retrospect, seems easier than it is!