Default Re: [Re-Signing] Sean Monahan

#1 Center
    Future Captain
    Leader
    =

Excellent Contract!

The Great One

Bennett might be more skilled but I think Monahan will be the better hockey player.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Bennett might be more skilled but I think Monahan will be the better hockey player.
    I'm fine being in the minority. Will be fun to watch it play out.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Not surprised to see Monahan i the 6 - 6.5 range. I think Gaudreau will be in the 7.5 - 8 range when all is said and done.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I'm fine being in the minority. Will be fun to watch it play out.
    These two guys are legit. I'm with rataylor that Monahan is already a 1c. Add in Bennett and the Flames are set for years down the middle. And then a late pick like Gaudreau works out, and boom.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Fair market value I would say.. Of course its way too much, but they all get way too much, HaHa..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    No bridge deal for these guys. Wonder what Gaudreau will get.
    I'm hoping Gaudreau signs a bridge deal, but with Monahan signing this deal, I somehow don't think a bridge deal is in the works. Darn, now I have to figure out how to fit Gaudreau into may salary cap keeper somehow.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    First, I would argue that being first overall definitely holds some weight, particularly with the team that drafted them. No team ever wants to admit they screwed that pick up. It earns guys chances that they may not receive had they been picked further down the draft. It definitely doesn't go away after only 3 years of experience. Hell even, Alexandre Daigle got chances in the NHL for 13 seasons.

Secondly, point per game stats are particularly relevant when comparing players who over their 3 seasons in the NHL are seperated by 6 points! I had actually assumed that Monahan had better production than Mack to this point prior to doing the research but I chalk that up to the Patrick Roy factor.

I'll give you the goal scoring factor, that is definitely a valid point that I hadn't really taken into consideration. The injury factor is minimal here in my opinion. A broken foot can happen to anyone and does not speak to conditioning or how injury prone he is. The sprained knee last season is a little more concerning, but it's going to take more than one injury like that to sour me on a talent like Mackinnon.

I'm very keen on MacK going forward and I fully believe he will be a better NHL player than Monahan. Thing is... you can say that ppg rate and injuries dont matter, but it still give agents/GMs a story to tell. Monahan has a stronger story right now, so he should be getting what he got.