Thread: [Signing] Canucks sign Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Deity

Default [Signing] Canucks sign Thatcher Demko

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2016/04/c...hatcher-demko/

The Vancouver Canucks will reportedly sign 2014 2nd round pick Thatcher Demko to a three-year entry-level deal this afternoon.

UPDATE: As per @TSNBobMcKenzie, G Thatcher Demko to sign ELC with Vancouver Canucks this afternoon. #TSNHockey pic.twitter.com/6awYg8pweZ

— SportsCentre (@SportsCentre) April 20, 2016

The contract will begin next season and at this time, there are no details on the terms of the deal.

By signing this contract, Demko will forgo his senior year of NCAA eligibility. Given that he could have chosen to become a unrestricted free agent upon the conclusion of his senior year, getting him signed now avoids any possible drama.

Demko took home the Mike Richter Award, which was given to the most outstanding goaltender in Division 1 NCAA hockey.

The San Diego native had a fantastic junior season for the Boston College Eagles, where he set new career highs in games played (39), wins (27), minutes played (2361), goals against average (1.88), save percentage (0.935), and shutouts (10). He set a new Boston College single season shutout record, passing former Canucks goaltender Cory Schneider’s mark of 8.

From a team standpoint, the Eagles had a successful season, winning the Beanpot tournament championship and reaching the Frozen Four, after falling in the NCAA regionals last season. Ultimately they lost to the number one ranked Quinnipiac Bobcats in the semi-finals.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Hercules

Default Re: [rumor] Canucks set to sign Thatcher Demko this afternoon to ELC

Is it just me or is it eerie that he broke a record set by Schneider? Traded soon?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    Util:
    G:

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Is it just me or is it eerie that he broke a record set by Schneider? Traded soon?
    Probably going to pull a sign and trade to ship him off to Switzerland and get Hiller back.

In all seriousness though, how long do we think until he is getting a relevant amount of starts in VAN? Is an injury to Miller/Markstrom all it would take, or is he three years away regardless?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Sage

Good work by Vancouver front office getting him locked down. They could not afford to have a goaltending prospect of that caliber pull a Vesey on them. Isn't 2016-17 the final year of Miller's term? I would say after that it is Thunderdome between Markstrom and Demko for the No. 1 gig.

Dobber Sports Master

Miller is one step closer to retirement with this announcement.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    Miller is one step closer to retirement with this announcement.
    Yeah, many nights Miller's best seems to have past him by... much like the puck.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Ninja

I was just saying to my friend that I know I should feel really happy about this, except I know that he'll be on another team soon enough.

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: [Signing] Canucks sign Thatcher Demko

It's official now.

https://twitter.com/VanCanucksTimes/...08663107588097

Vancouver Canucks sign goalie Thatcher Demko to entry-level contract - CTV News
    - - - Updated - - -

Gotta love the tweet sent out by Eddie Lack this afternoon too.

https://twitter.com/eddielack/status/722908973486112768

Let's start the Markström/demko controversy tweets. I'm on the wagon hahahah
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

I would say great signing but they will find someway to turn it into nothing, this management never fails us.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Probably going to pull a sign and trade to ship him off to Switzerland and get Hiller back.

In all seriousness though, how long do we think until he is getting a relevant amount of starts in VAN? Is an injury to Miller/Markstrom all it would take, or is he three years away regardless?
    I have him on the Hellebuyck timeline. Y1 = AHL fulltime. Y2 = AHL/NHL split. Y3 = NHL fulltime.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Administrator

I would also add for Canucks fans that the reactions here are seriously disappointing. Maybe management will leave you disappointed but I would hold the media similarly responsible. Look at all the goalie controversies over the years. You could have a literal brick wall in goal and I think they'd still find a way to stir something up. Is this just the personality of the city? Getting Demko with a 2nd round pick and ultimately getting him signed is a significant move for the future. This is a good moment.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I would also add for Canucks fans that the reactions here are seriously disappointing. Maybe management will leave you disappointed but I would hold the media similarly responsible. Look at all the goalie controversies over the years. You could have a literal brick wall in goal and I think they'd still find a way to stir something up. Is this just the personality of the city? Getting Demko with a 2nd round pick and ultimately getting him signed is a significant move for the future. This is a good moment.
    I couldn't agree more. I don't really listen to a lot of the media anymore, and I definitely try to avoid the most vocal "fans" because they always find something to be negative about. However, my friends and I are pretty optimistic for the future. We like the first few pieces of this young core, and are looking toward the draft lottery now.
    1 year 10 man H2H weekly line-ups
    G (2) A (1.5) PP/SHP (1) GWG (1) SoG (.1) Hit (.05) PIM (.05) BLK (.15)
    W (3) SO (2) GA (-.5) SV (.1)

Start 2C 2LW 2RW 2F 4D 2G
    C: Crosby, Getzlaf
    LW: Benn, Rantanen
    RW: Pastrnak, M. Stone
    F: D. Sedin, Johansen
    D: Ristolainen, Krug, Hamilton, OEL
    G: Bobrovsky, Dubnyk
    Bench: J. Carter, Schenn, Leddy, Faulk, Pacioretty

Dobber Sports Ninja

Oh get off your high horses obviously people are happy with this signing. Especially since he was at risk of being lost for nothing next offseason.

Can't even joke around anymore.

Dobber Sports Ace

I would suggest it's a city that likes to complain, has done so very loudly this past season, and gets some of it's views from a media that was pretty tough on Jim Benning this year (Botchford, in particular).

But there's a group of fans that sees that Demko, Boeser, Virtanen, McCann, Horvat, etc are at least a decent start to a rebuild.