Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Current video game of choice?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Current video game of choice?

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    Great question. I am kind of all over the place with video games. Been playing GW2 (PC) and Destiny (Xbox) a lot lately but getting a little tired of the open ended games. Destiny is a great game but I don't have time to sit and play for extended periods of times to do raids etc. So I guess I am looking more for games I can sit and run through a quick couple levels or something along those lines.

A few of you mentioned Shadows of Mordor, maybe I will check that out. Is playing it on the PC really better than Xbox?
    As a person who has played both PC and console games, I personally don't find a huge difference.

That being said, games generally go on sale more often and for better deals on PC. Back when I was pumping LOTRSoM it was still when the game wasn't TOO old yet but Steam had occasional sales for $29. Now you could probably get it cheap in any format.

SoM is a good game where you can run through a few things.....in fact you can just run around and kill orcs for awhile if you only have like 5 minutes. Missions are relatively quick. One of the things I liked about the concept of SoM is that you had to cut through ranks of orcs, but if you died in the game, whichever orc you die to gets promoted and gets stronger, making the game harder and forcing you to play more tactically. If you google the game, one of the top tips you'll see is that you need to be okay with running away. You won't survive the game if you try and manfight every single thing you come across.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I’ll usually only play sports games, I get bored of everything else, and my attention span is too small for a game where you have to find the ladder and put it on the wall to move forward type of game.

NHL and MLB really is about it. I’ll prolly try and get into NFL again but I can never seem to stick to the game.
    You may like Rocket League...it's basically soccer in cars. It's a game that's growing really big now. Give it a quick Youtube search and see if it would tickle your fancy.

There's a ball that you have to hit and try to knock around and score into a net. There are turbo pads in the arena, you can jump and do tricks with your car, it's kind of neat. I haven't had the patience to stick with it as I'm really back into the FPS scene for the time being after playing mostly MOBA's for a few years.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm one of the thousands of Steam customers currently completely hooked on Stardew Valley. And I never even tried Harvest Moon or any of those games, so I don't have the excuse of nostalgia. It's one of those "OK just one more turn, oops now it's 4am" sort of games.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Ninja

I play Diablo 3 with the old highschool friends once in a blue moon...

Dobber Sports Monster

Only game I like playing is NHL 14. Still quite a few play it. I was like level 68 or so at one point on Ps3

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    Only game I like playing is NHL 14. Still quite a few play it. I was like level 68 or so at one point on Ps3
    I own it on XBOX 360 and I played it alot back in the day... I was considering getting a PS3 if ever the price went down the $150 or something. Ironically I have a copy of NHL 14 on the PS3 (gift from a friend that I never exchanged). If I ever get my hands on a PS3, I'll hit you up online!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Cooley, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    I also really recommend Dota 2 for PC - takes awhile to really learn the game but once you dive into it it's a really fun/strategic game. I had the advantage of playing it when I was in high school when it was a WC3 custom game but with some patience I think you could learn it. It's a budding scene right now - originally they had one major tournament every year called The International but it's grown so big that they have added the concept of "The Majors" which are (I believe) 4 big tournaments on top of TI every year. The Shanghai majors just ended a couple weeks ago and the carry player on the championship winning team is actually from Toronto. If you're interested and you want to learn I recommend checking out the Youtube channel "purgegamers" - Purge is the most well-known "noob teacher" - he explains moves that he makes so that new players understand why he's doing them, and sometimes he has replay analyses where he watches replays and critiques.
    Oh, and prepare for the community to be huge ass dicks. Teenagers + High pressure situations in an environment where skilled players who have a shade of an idea what they are doing will clean the floor with you + Teen egos = Chaos.

But oddly enough, once you move past that shitstorm and into the games with people who aren't too bad, then it's really fun.

Source: 3,000 hours logged...
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    24 team H2H (W-:L) Dynasty - 3C/LW/RW/F, 6D, 1G.
    G/A/(+/-)/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/GWG/HIT/BLK/FOW
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

NHL Cap + 1M salary cap (AAV)

Dobber Sports Stud

And since this is a hockey forum, obligatory mention to Eastside Hockey Manager (EHM), who released a new version (first since 2007!) earlier this season. Can be had via Steam.

The UI isn't the friendliest in the world but it's game engine is top notch. Lost so many hours to it, all in joy. After playing countless EA NHL Dynasties, it was my fix when they stopped making the PC versions.

It even has a very accurate addictiveness rating on save files!
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Administrator

Not a frequent gamer but recently I got into a couple Fire Emblem games.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    I own it on XBOX 360 and I played it alot back in the day... I was considering getting a PS3 if ever the price went down the $150 or something. Ironically I have a copy of NHL 14 on the PS3 (gift from a friend that I never exchanged). If I ever get my hands on a PS3, I'll hit you up online!
    I gave my Ps3 to my nephew. I'll ask for it for the weekend. I'll pm you if I get it.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    DUDE.

Hector is my boy.

The GBA games were the BEST.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Currently playing through those too... one of my favorite series.
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO