Thread: I need to draft a catcher. Who do you like?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default I need to draft a catcher. Who do you like?

Well thanks to ESPN screwing with their position settings, I no longer have catcher on my roster but Evan Gattis is now a DH (and so is is Prince Fielder ffs) Fark!

Anywho, now I need to draft a catcher in our annual waiver draft for my keeper league.

I am looking at Wilson Ramos, Welington Castillo or JT Realmuto as my best options.

It`s a points league and we offer points in this fashion:

Single - 1.5
    Doubles - 3
    Triple - 4.5
    Home Runs - 6
    Walks - 1.5
    Runs Scored - 2
    Runs Batted In - 2
    Stolen Bases - 2
    Strikeouts - (-2)
    Intentional Walks - 1.5
    Hit by Pitch - 1.5
    Caught Stealing (CS) -2
    Ground into Double Plays (GIDP) -2
    Errors (E) -2

Because of the higher value on HR it has me leaning towards Castillo. Anyone else agree/disagree with me on this?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: I need to draft a catcher. Who do you like?

JT Realmuto... i think they (Realmuto and Castillo) both hit around 15 HRs but Realmuto steals 10+ bags. flip a coin.

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Titan

I’m targeting Realmuto for my catchers role. I think he’s going to be a solid catcher. Catcher spot is so shallow all he has to do is hit over 260, and drive in 70runs to be considered top 5 in a basic Yahoo league.

Realmuto hit 10HR, 21 doubles and 7 triples in 126games. I think 15HR will be an easy stat for him to grab.

You can also have a lot of fun with a team name based around Realmuto. Winning Realmuto’s to Me. Heinz Realmutord,
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

Realmuto for me as well. Though Ramos is not a bad flyer either as a bounce back candidate at Coors.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

It's funny, initially I had Realmuto at the top of my list and then I started looking into Castillo and then started leaning his way more just because I thought the pop in his bat was more valuable.

Now you guys have me looking harder at Realmuto again. LOL!

Thx for the replies guys. Rep to you.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    It's funny, initially I had Realmuto at the top of my list and then I started looking into Castillo and then started leaning his way more just because I thought the pop in his bat was more valuable.

Now you guys have me looking harder at Realmuto again. LOL!

Thx for the replies guys. Rep to you.
    Something tells me Realmuto may be a popular “flyer” pick for a catchers role tho. Castillo may be a guy who gets slept on being a Diamondback. The second he went to Arizona tho he exploded last yr.

I’d say go into the draft saying, “I’m drafting a catcher with XXXX pick” and just pick one of the two.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Something tells me Realmuto may be a popular “flyer” pick for a catchers role tho. Castillo may be a guy who gets slept on being a Diamondback. The second he went to Arizona tho he exploded last yr.

I’d say go into the draft saying, “I’m drafting a catcher with XXXX pick” and just pick one of the two.
    There aren't a lot of teams drafting catchers because this is simply an off-season waiver draft. It's a keeper league and most teams already have their catcher left over on their roster from last year and if not for ESPN removing the C from Gattis, I wouldn't be drafting one myself but it's the one roster spot I need to fill this off-season so that's why it's a priority for me. It's a 16 team league and I am picking 16th (I was the best team in the league last year during regular season but lost out in semi's) and so far, 13 teams have picked and no one is taking a catcher. I am just trying to figure out what one works best for my league.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    There aren't a lot of teams drafting catchers because this is simply an off-season waiver draft. It's a keeper league and most teams already have their catcher left over on their roster from last year and if not for ESPN removing the C from Gattis, I wouldn't be drafting one myself but it's the one roster spot I need to fill this off-season so that's why it's a priority for me. It's a 16 team league and I am picking 16th (I was the best team in the league last year during regular season but lost out in semi's) and so far, 13 teams have picked and no one is taking a catcher. I am just trying to figure out what one works best for my league.
    I think both are close enough where it could be a coin flip then. At least everyone has a “keeper” catcher where they might not be as quick to cut them loose to pick up a hot catcher.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I would personally take Realmuto. Pop is about the same with Castillo having maybe a very slight edge. Realmuto will help with the occasional SB in the 5-10 range for the season.
    Former Dobber Baseball Writer/Contributor - Top 150 Hitters, Top 100 SP and Top 50 RP Rankings.

Main Roster:
    C: Robert Thomas, Ryan O'Reilly, Casey Mittlestaddt, Vincent Trockhek, Dylan Strome, Brock Nelson, Troy Terry, Colin White
    RW: Nikita Kucherov, Sam Reinhart, Vladimir Tarasenko, Mats Zucarello,
    LW: Jason Robertson, Nikolaj Ehlers, Max Comtois, Zach Hyman, Christian Dvorak, James VanRiemsdyk, Andrew Mangiapane
    D: Erik Karlsson, Shea Theodore, John Klingberg, Travis Sanheim, Mike Reilly
    G: Carey Price, Juuse Saros, Elvis Merzlikins, Petr Mrazek

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by MacLiii View Post
    I would personally take Realmuto. Pop is about the same with Castillo having maybe a very slight edge. Realmuto will help with the occasional SB in the 5-10 range for the season.
    Thanks.

I did go with Realmuto.