Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Expect William Nylander to get recalled after trade deadline

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Expect William Nylander to get recalled after trade deadline

Bringing Nylander up makes me think the leafs are close to a few more trades and need NHL ready bodies to finish the season
    WHL - 24tm multicast salary partial keeper
    19 Active / 6 Reserve / 15 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/ A/ +/- /PIM/SOG/PPP/Hit/Blk/FOW-C
    Goalies: GS/W/OL/GAA/SV%/SV/SHO/ShL/A

Dobber Sports Ace

So Laidlaw reported in today's ramblings that the Leafs have already burned a year of Nylander's contract because he's been playing in the AHL. This is actually incorrect.

9.1 (d) (i) In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC. Unless a Player and Club expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player’s SPC is extended an additional year in accordance with this subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary, games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided, however, that the Player’s Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all circumstances.

9.1. (d)(ii) In the event that a Player signs his first SPC at age 18 and has had his SPC extended pursuant to Subsection (i), and such Player does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the second season under that SPC, then the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for one (1) additional year. Unless a Player and Club expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player’s SPC is extended an additional year in accordance with this Subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary, games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided, however, that the Player’s Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all circumstances.
    The above is parts of Section 9.1 of the CBA. This is what is commonly known as the "Slide Rule". Essentialy it states that a player who has signed an ELC when he is 18, can have his contract slide if he is under the age of 20, and provided he has not played more than 9 games in the NHL (what has become known as the proverbial cup of coffee in the NHL).

Now this is most commonly seen in players who are sent back to the CHL. Players like Mitch Marner, Ryan Strome, and Michael Dal Colle. They might get a few games at the start of the season, but before the 10 game limit, they are sent down to the CHL (OHL in the above three examples). There contracts slide and no longer count against the 50 contract limit.

Now in rare cases, this actually does happen for players who play in the AHL. One of the more recent examples was Anthony Mantha last season (2014-2015).

If a player aged 18 or 19 signs an entry-level contract with a club (with his age calculated on Sept. 15 of the year he signed the contract) but does not play in at least 10 NHL games, the contract will "slide" or be extended one year. The extension does not apply if the player turns 20 between Sept. 16 and Dec. 31 in the year he signed the contract.
    Depending on the contract's structure, the player's cap hit can be affected either by an increase or a decrease. Players who sign at age 18 can have their contract extended (or "slide") two seasons.
    CBA reference: Section 9.1 (d) (P. 23-24)
    So because Mantha was not 20 by the time Sept. 15th rolled around, and he had only one year played in the CHL after his draft (because his birthday was the day after the Sept. 15th cutoff date), his contract could slide for a second year while he played in the AHL.

Now this brings us to William Nylander. He didn't play in the CHL, but was playing in the AHL at both 18 and now this season at 19. His birthday is May 1st, meaning he won't turn 20 until this coming May. So he meets the requirement of not being 20 by Sept. 15th of the year he's playing. He did sign the deal as an 18 year old, and he hasn't played any NHL games. He also hasn't had his contract slide for two years, as last year was the first year the contract slid. So his contract slides for one more year.

TL;DR Nylander's contract is currently "sliding" while he's playing for the Marlies, and would continue to do so until he plays 10 or more games in the NHL. He meets the requirements set forth under the CBA to do so.

What this means is that the Leafs might be intentionally calling up Nylander to have his first year of the ELC be burned SO THAT they can potential try and lower the value of his second contract, while not taking away from his number of RFA years.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Hercules

I was literally about to come here saying this might be a way to offset the Marner/Nylander contract yrs, and get the Nylander contract up earlier to get into those RFA yrs quicker.

I hope he’s at the Wild game on Thursday when I go; they’ll hopefully have Nylander jerseys for sale at the pro shop.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    Util:
    G:

Dobber Sports Deity

https://mobile.twitter.com/FriedgeHN...0504590336?p=v

On Saturday, @DamoSpin mentioned William Nylander could be joining TOR soon. Possible he makes his NHL debut tonight.

The Leafs just sent Arcobello to the AHL as well.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Hercules

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    https://mobile.twitter.com/FriedgeHN...0504590336?p=v

The Leafs just sent Arcobello to the AHL as well.
    I was hoping someone would take a Arcebello in a package deal with like PAP. Arc was doing pretty well, but he’ll help the Marlies out winning the Calder Trophy.

C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    Util:
    G:

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I was literally about to come here saying this might be a way to offset the Marner/Nylander contract yrs, and get the Nylander contract up earlier to get into those RFA yrs quicker.

I hope he’s at the Wild game on Thursday when I go; they’ll hopefully have Nylander jerseys for sale at the pro shop.
    Who would you rather own in fantasy, Nylander or Marner?

Hercules

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    Who would you rather own in fantasy, Nylander or Marner?
    Sorry for the late reply, kinda forgot about this question lol.

Nylander has a higher floor and a lower ceiling than Marner. Nylander is being completely baby’d on his call up (75% offensive zone starts. That whole line is being baby’d tho) unlike Soshnikov (35.7% oZS%).

I honestly think when taking into the boom/bust aspect, both are on the same level of value. Depending on your team structure and what type of GM you are would decipher what player you want. Also, I think IF (don’t rip me apart guys) Toronto gets Stamkos, Marner’s value goes up. Marner will likely be a winger for his career and I can see the Leafs trying those two together. And with Stamkos being on the team, Nylander’s value lowers.

C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    Util:
    G: