Thread: New to the keeper/dynasty/salary league...need help!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default New to the keeper/dynasty/salary league...need help!

Hey guys, I am new to this whole keeper style league and could really use some help. I picked up this team mid-season and it's a decent team but I feel like I could round it out a bit more or maybe I'm thinking too much about it. I have tried making offers for Ghost, Theodore, and Schneider (since my goalies aren't the best) but the manager who has Ghost only wants Gaudreau and is offering me Ghost plus some draft picks which I don't think is worth it at all. Here's my team: http://imgur.com/VBTDMwQ if you guys can think of any possible moves to help round out my team a bit more that would be great, or if you guys think I'm crazy and should stick with what I got, that's fine too lol! Sorry about the long post, any help is greatly appreciated!

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: New to the keeper/dynasty/salary league...need help!

It's tough to truly gauge where your team sits compared to the rest of the league. Looking at your roster, I'd be holding onto Gaudreau and your other young talent that you are reaping high point totals from. To me, he should be a last resort to move out to improve your team. Look to try and dish out some of your heavier contracts to rebuild if that's the route you are going. But additionally, I would need more than what that GM is offering fro Johnny Hockey unless the picks we're talking about a very high.

You're probably already getting the idea but in a salary cap dynasty, people will be very reluctant to give up all-star talent players that are on ELCs.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    It's tough to truly gauge where your team sits compared to the rest of the league. Looking at your roster, I'd be holding onto Gaudreau and your other young talent that you are reaping high point totals from. To me, he should be a last resort to move out to improve your team. Look to try and dish out some of your heavier contracts to rebuild if that's the route you are going. But additionally, I would need more than what that GM is offering fro Johnny Hockey unless the picks we're talking about a very high.

You're probably already getting the idea but in a salary cap dynasty, people will be very reluctant to give up all-star talent players that are on ELCs.

The draft picks that would come along with the Ghost for Gaudreau trade would be a first round pick next year (so probably 10th overall) and a 4th round pick in 2018 so I don't think it is all that worth it. Letang and Malkin are my two heavier contracts and Liles, Klein, Stafford, and Parenteau are my older players that I would need to move. I would really like to get at least another goalie other than Talbot and Lack, I think Talbot will be good as the years go by but its always nice to have someone else. Really, my offense is solely reliant on Malkin, Letang, Subban, ROR, Gaudreau, and Voracek which is solid enough but I would like to move some of the older players to get some younger talent in there. Do you think Burakovsky or Brayden Schenn are good additions? I like what I have been seeing from Bura so I wouldn't mind acquiring him while he's still young. Defense gets more points in our league though after goalies, if a Forward in our league scores its 25pts but if a Defenseman scores than its 50pts. For example, Gaudreau has 1800pts this season in 53 games where Ghost has 1500 points in 37 games so stacking my defense is a good idea. I would really like Shea Theodore but the manager who has him is not responsive at all and has been purposely tanking in our league (he actually admitted to it).

Dobber Sports Expert

Ok that's interesting. I would consider the deal than for Ghost but I'd try to get some upgrades on picks...ie bumping that 4th up to this year's draft. My only issue is Johnny looks to be a star and I'm not very well versed on Ghost (haven't seen many Flyers games this year).

Depending on your scoring and how valuable hits are, Schenn would be more valuable than Burakovsky in my eyes. One other thing is to question if you use actually salaries or cap hits? If you're using actually salaries, I would look to unload ROR at any cost. e is due to make $11 million next season...would be a cap killer if you can't send him down.

Yeah its actual salary so ROR would end up costing me that much next season and I definitely don't have the cap space for him. What kind of return could I get for ROR though? I know people are interested in him, he's young and having a good first season with the Sabres so I am sure I could get someone decent for him. Hits are worth 2pts each in my league where SOG don't count for a damn thing but +/- counts for 2pts for each positive. Goalies and Defense are the point getters in my opinion though, I mean a goalie assist is worth 50pts and if they score (which is highly unlikely) that's 200pts; each save is worth 2pts but a goal against is -12pts which is why Talbot kills me cause he can let in quite a bit of goals at any point really and he's not truly consistent. Plus, every goalie loss you lose 10pts so last night I got a whopping 6pts from Talbot but last Thursday I got 94pts from him since he won and only had two goals against on 36 shots.

Dobber Sports Expert

Sounds like your scoring format is drastically different from anything I've played in. Only you can really gauge the value of a player. But I'd start shopping him and banking on someone unaware of his contract for next season.