Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Draft help!!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Draft help!!

Hi everyone,

I am in a 16 team Dynasty League where we keep most of the roster (20 out of 24). I inherited a team toward the end of the season. It\'s extremely young but I have some good stars (Radulov, Getzlaf, Kopitar, Kessel, Mueller, JStaal, Ryan, Wolski, and Weber). My biggest weakness is probably D with Weber, Bourdon, Vlasic, Mike Green, Lashoff, Backman and goalies with Hasek, LeClaire, and Montoya. We are in the middle of our off-season draft which includes all N/A Yahoo players from past drafts (Toews, Backstrom) and non-kept players. I had the first pick and got NBackstrom (C) and with the 12th pick picked Turris. I have the 17th pick coming up and I was thinking of going with either Giroux, Cogliano, Schneider, Irving or BCampbell. Of course I am trying to plan for the future since my team is so young but it would be nice to get some help for now. :S I am not sure what will help my team the most. Campbell will certainly help my D but is that too high for a Dman? Or do I go with any of those youngsters or someone else? Thanks in advance.

Post edited by: RangerFan, at: 2007/08/11 17:53

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re:Draft help!!

Out of the players you mentioned, grab Campbell for sure. He is ranked 13th on Dobber\'s list for defencemen and has a lot of years left.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Agreed. I think Campbell is the way to go at this point. Young enough to help you for years, but established and able to help you now.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I agree with the other guys....Campbell is still fairly young and will fit in well with your building for the future plans...grab him..

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

By the looks of things I think you could use some goaltending help or a goalie for the future as well as a d-man..

What are the 5 best goalies and d-men that are available.. That might make things a little more clearer..

Another optiong would be to draft the best foward available somebody who you think somebody might want for their team and trade him to them for a goalie or a d-man..
    Z..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Padawan

Thanks for the help guys. So most of the top Dmen and goalies have been drafted - Price, Rask, Pogge, Schwartz, Bernier, Harding, MStaal, KLetang.

Top Dmen:
    BCampbell
    CErhoff
    KBallard
    NWelch
    PMara
    AEdler

Top Goalies:
    CSchneider
    LIrving
    KRamo
    Varlamov
    Pavelec

there is also possible goalies such as Holmqvist, Aebischer, LaBarbera. They might be other prospects that you might think of that I neglected.

Hope this helps.

Dobber Sports Padawan

campbell for sure.
    Pool A
    G, A, +/-, PM, PPG, SHG W L T SO SV% GAA
    Cap 80,375,000
    Center: Backstrom, Giroux, Stepan, Spezza
    Wing: Ovechkin, Hall, Kessell, Nash, Voracek, Landeskog, Huberdeau, Schwartz
    Defence: Karlsson, Goligoski, Schultz, Barrie, Gardiner, Smith
    Goalie : Lundqvist, Dubnyk, Lehner
    Farm: Monohan, Bjugstad, Shinkaruk, Horvat, Killorn, Rattie

Pool B
    G, A, PTS, +/-, Hits, GWG W SO GAA SV%
    Cap 80,375,000
    F: Ovechkin, Kessell, Lupol, Backstrom, Giroux, Stepan, JvR, Forsburg, Landeskog, Etem, Eakin, Saad
    D: Green, Letand, Staal, McDonaugh, Faulk, Barrie
    G: Lundqvist, Halak
    Bench: Lecavalier, Grabovski
    Farm: Shinkaruk, Lindholm, Larsson, Gardiner, Visetin

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Ballard may sneak in ahead of Campbell given his availability too. IMO it\'s those two before any of the other D and G that you listed

Dobber Sports Padawan

Just to throw this in: some good forwards are still there:
    Giroux
    Voracek
    Oshie
    Sheppard
    Grigorenko
    Cogliano
    Tlusty

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I also think Ballard has some merit - see Blades post above. Buyt he might be had with a later pick. Campbell will help now - I think your goaltending is the place you need to focus but the options aren\'t really here and now are they?

There is a lot to be said for drafting the best available player - and then working the trades to get what you need most.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Thanks guys. I was starting to think the same way - pick the best possible player. Even though Campbell and Ballard are pretty good. Who of the forwards I mentioned would you guys pick now? I like what I heard about Voracek. I am stacked at center (see first post) so he would certainly help me at wing.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

RangerFan wrote:
    Thanks guys. I was starting to think the same way - pick the best possible player. Even though Campbell and Ballard are pretty good. Who of the forwards I mentioned would you guys pick now? I like what I heard about Voracek. I am stacked at center (see first post) so he would certainly help me at wing.
    Rangerfan... I would still take either Ballard or Campbell if you want help now, with Campbell having a slight edge imo, even though Buffalo lost Drury and Briere, they are stillgoing to have a pretty good offensive team and a good PP.... Phoenix.... not so much.
    However, if you think that there may be someone that you can flip a player to, you may want to take a chance on Grigorenko> There has to be something special about a guy who could have been a #1 prospect...almost gets killed and injury almost ends his career...yet he still manages to be ranked so high, he must have an incredible work ethic and will of iron...players like that often succeed......just a thought

Dobber Sports Stud

Hello RangerFan \'et al\'

I would take Brian Campbell over Keith Ballard, unless PIMS count in your scoring. Then it is close. As mentioned, Buffalo will have a good offensive team again this year. Phoenix is re-building.

With regard to your forward selection, I would go with Giroux and then Grigorenko. Grigorenko might have a better chance, than Giroux, of making the team this year but I like Giroux\'s upside better.

My thoughts.

Dobber Sports Genius

with the excellent young talent you have , i.e. getzlaf , radulov , etc , i would build and start with campbell , or put on your trading cap and grab the best available player and start your #1 goalie search , that is the better option but entails some work , but that\'s why we do this is.nt it?answer yes.
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Dobber Sports Padawan

Thank you guys very much for your help. I went with Campbell. Now I have to wait 15 picks before my next one. I will probably take one of the goalies that I mentioned with that pick. Does that sound reasonable?