Thread: Is it worth it? HELP

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Is it worth it? HELP

In fantasy hockey I always try to never look back. Don't focus too much of trades made to get to current point. Today feels different though. I'm in talks to re acquire Malkin, a player I ended up dealing early last season as I put final touches on a rebuild. I'm sitting here looking at what I acquired for him, some pieces of which I ended up using to acquire Karlsson later last season. Karlsson was a massive trade. One of which I used a crap load of futures to make happen.

All in all if I do re acquire Malkin, combining the pieces necessary to do it with what I paid to get some of those other pieces the entire picture unfolds like this:
    Acquired:
    Kessel, Karlsson and Parise (Pretending I never traded Malkin to begin with)

Traded Away:
    Nash, Kuznetsov, Nyquist, Green, R. Strome, Galchenyuk, S. Bennett, Provorov, Mantha, Hanifin and 2 picks in 2016 used for drafting rookies from 2016 entry draft.

If I don't re acquire Malkin all of Nyquist Mantha and Hanifin would still be with me.

Is it all worth it? Finished product is team is sig.

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Is it worth it? HELP

Do you mind sharing exactly what the trade on the table is for Malkin?

Before getting into whether or not you should deal for Malkin now, I want to comment on your overall approach. I think it's dangerous to view your decision to re-acquire Malkin based on what you will have given up over the years. We all make bad trades. Last season, I was looking to move an aging Joe Thornton for something younger that I could build around. What did I do...trade Thornton and Holtby for Kopitar. What happened? Kopitar has his first sub 70 pt season since his rookie year and puts up 80 fewer SOG over the season. To top it off, Holtby goes on to become a top 5 goalie under Trotz and Thornton ends up putting up more fantasy points in our league than Kopitar. Horrible, horrible call on my part. Now I'm trying to move Kopitar but there's no way I can get back the value I gave up. And that's my point. If I use the value of my prior trades to determine whether or not I'll make a current trade, then I overly complicate the process and in all honesty probably miss out on a good deal. If someone offered me a Kucherov, Johnson, or Getzlaf in a 1:1 deal to take Kopitar off my hands, I'd be crazy not to do it if one of my main reasons for declining is because I need to get back the value that I lost (i.e. a top 5 goalie + Kuch, Johnson or Getz).

Long story short, don't worry about the past. Look at the deal that you have in front of you and decide if it's a good move for your future.
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Is it worth it? HELP

Quote Originally Posted by Referee3083 View Post
    Do you mind sharing exactly what the trade on the table is for Malkin?

Before getting into whether or not you should deal for Malkin now, I want to comment on your overall approach. I think it's dangerous to view your decision to re-acquire Malkin based on what you will have given up over the years. We all make bad trades. Last season, I was looking to move an aging Joe Thornton for something younger that I could build around. What did I do...trade Thornton and Holtby for Kopitar. What happened? Kopitar has his first sub 70 pt season since his rookie year and puts up 80 fewer SOG over the season. To top it off, Holtby goes on to become a top 5 goalie under Trotz and Thornton ends up putting up more fantasy points in our league than Kopitar. Horrible, horrible call on my part. Now I'm trying to move Kopitar but there's no way I can get back the value I gave up. And that's my point. If I use the value of my prior trades to determine whether or not I'll make a current trade, then I overly complicate the process and in all honesty probably miss out on a good deal. If someone offered me a Kucherov, Johnson, or Getzlaf in a 1:1 deal to take Kopitar off my hands, I'd be crazy not to do it if one of my main reasons for declining is because I need to get back the value that I lost (i.e. a top 5 goalie + Kuch, Johnson or Getz).

Long story short, don't worry about the past. Look at the deal that you have in front of you and decide if it's a good move for your future.
    Early discussions are Nyquist, Mantha, Hanifin and a future pick for Malkin. Acquiring Malkin would likely be a 1 year move for me due to salary implications. Also these talks are preliminary. Price hasn't exactly been set.