Thread: A little D help

Dobber Sports Star

Default A little D help

We drafted last night and I didn't draft a second d-man until the 7th round, going the opposite route I took last season. However, doing so gave me some slim pickings. I was able to snag Hamilton in the 7th round, which I thought was a bargain at that point. I wasn't quite as happy with what was left in the later rounds and settled for Schultz and Phaneuf. Schultz may turn out to be a steal in the 14th, but I'm worried about Phaneuf. There are some others that were not drafted, such as, Hamonic and David Savard to name a few. Both will provide some PIM's while putting up some points and shots. Do you see any benefit in the move? Please consider +/- as well.

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Suzuki
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg,
    Konecny(L/R)
    R-Hyman(L/R), Svechnikov(L/R), P. Kane
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi,
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: A little D help

I would wait on Phaneuf and see. Last season the Red Wings wanted to trade for Phaneuf to help them out with a playoff run. Mike Babcock had some say in the moves that the Red Wings make. Speculation was that Babcock wanted Phaneuf in Detroit and the Red Wings did try to get him at the deadline.

Now Babcock is in Toronto, so I expect Phaenuf to have new life this year and Babcock to get a lot of him this year.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

And in regards to +/-, I know Toronto is not going to be as good as some hope, but I think with Babcock as the coach, Phaneuf will not end up being a major - player. And consider last year's horrible season he was only -11. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/player-bio/dion-phaneuf

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

schultz is the larger concern for plus minus I would think...but as penhunter has said I would stand pat with what you have as both teams have had some significant changes in the off season (phaneuf with new coaching system and schultz with new player support at all positions). Managers always make knee jerk reactions right after the draft when they see the FA's. You drafted your guys for a reason, just trust your gut...at least until the puck drops :P

Dobber Sports Genius

I like Savard, and may consider him over Schultz who I have lost faith in personally. That said you may want to take the "wait and see" approach with both Phaneuf and Schultz. Phaneuf I think is still valuable in mulit-cat leagues, but if they start reducing PP you may need to bail. Schultz could surprise, although I would watch the same things with him, as I said I don't have any faith left but that's not to say he doesn't finally hit his stride.
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ