Thread: Dynasty League -- Get Eddie Lacy?

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Dynasty League -- Get Eddie Lacy?

I'm thinking of making a play for Eddie Lacy in my dynasty league. Personally, I had Lacy ranked #1 coming into the season, and he has "disappointed" to an extent thus far -- perhaps the perfect opportunity to strike?!

Basic details about the league are that it's a 14-team, .5 PPR, start 2 RBs (and no flex). As explained below, I don't "need" to acquire an RB of Lacy's caliber right now, but I am nearing the final act of a once dominant backfield going into a total rebuild, so I'm trying to remain cognizant of retooling when I can without sacrificing remaining competitive right now.

So here's the fundamental question: If you were me, would you build an offer for Lacy around trading away AP or Charles?

Both AP and Charles are still elite, obviously -- in fact, both are far outperforming Lacy to begin the season. Charles is a couple years younger than AP and, in my view, has the higher weekly ceiling. But I think AP will be a bit more consistent week-to-week and has a higher floor (which I like) and a quick glance at his schedule for the rest of the year makes me think he legitimately could finish as the #1 overall RB by a good margin and lead a lot of fantasy teams to championships.

Now, given that it's a dynasty setting I recognize that I very well may need to add a bit more to my offer to maximize the chances of getting this done (particularly if I offer AP, due to the generally held perception regarding 30 year old RBs). So this is just something that I'm kicking around right now because I could be a week away from the price of getting Lacy going way up, whether because Lacy explodes or AP/Charles come back to Earth a little and the taste of their huge weeks becomes a bit stale.

What say you?
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Default Re: Dynasty League -- Get Eddie Lacy?

It's early yet I know, but are either you or the Lacy owner in contention?
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I would.... I think Lacy had a slow start last year as well and then came on fire. I grabbed him for Desean Jackson + Witten last year in a single year league because he was 'dissapointing' a the start/middle last year. I think something to note... GreenBay gets cold and teams start to rely more on RBs, and I think this is when Lacy will start lighting it up again this year.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    It's early yet I know, but are either you or the Lacy owner in contention?
    Good question. We're both 2-1, but I'd say that neither team qualifies as a front runner per se.

I've certainly got the pieces to win, but need to weather the storm of shaky Stafford QB play. Could (likely will) be ugly again this week, but I'm still hopeful the offensive numbers improve as the season progresses and the Lions' schedule lightens up a little. My WRs are solid overall for a league this size (Calvin, Marshall, A-Robinson, M. Bryant, etc.).

His team oscillates between high roller and dumpster fire. He's pretty stacked at WR (again, for a dynasty league this size) with AJ Green, Hopkins, Cooks, Maclin, etc., but he's in a pickle at QB right now relying on Fitzmagic after losing both Romo and Cutler already. Nevertheless, he's still hanging in there and put up some points this week. His biggest overall issue is that he's VERY light at RB -- effectively Lacy and nothing else stocking the cupboards -- which is a big problem in a dynasty league (Lacy, Jennings, Chris Johnson and Ray freakin' Rice on the prayer that someone gives him a shot).

I know I keep mentioning the size of the league, but with 14 teams in a dynasty league it's quite interesting and changes the dynamic a little. Almost everyone has holes, and the young guys get gobbled up quickly and held even if they're not currently producing. So recognizing that I will need to reshape my RB corps before long, I started stashing young RBs early and often with the hope that one "pops" by next season. So other than AP and Charles, I also have Duke Johnson, David Johnson, Khiry Robinson, Buck Allen, etc. .... so I think I have pieces to offer in a 2-for-1 that may be a wise play for this guy, particularly because I'd also intend to headline the offer with a big ticket player like AP or Charles.

Dobber Sports Expert

I love Lacy but he is constantly getting injured. Its frustrating to see as a football fan, let alone being a guy who owns him. However, on the pure age point, I would do the trade as long as it was centered around AP, not JC. But if you do this, you have to have him handcuffed with Starks. I would still be skeptical to make this move atm and look into this in the offseason. I don't see the need right now to trade Lacy for AP.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    I love Lacy but he is constantly getting injured. Its frustrating to see as a football fan, let alone being a guy who owns him. However, on the pure age point, I would do the trade as long as it was centered around AP, not JC. But if you do this, you have to have him handcuffed with Starks. I would still be skeptical to make this move atm and look into this in the offseason. I don't see the need right now to trade Lacy for AP.
    I agree with all of this, except for the timing of the move. I believe OP wants to strike while Lacy's value is seemingly "low" and AP's is "high". If he waits until the off season then AP is another year older, Lacy may finish strong, etc. and the deal may not be as attractive.

The deal (if any) should focus on moving AP for Lacy. Starks is a true handcuff whose skill set is very well suited for this blocking scheme - he has better lateral wiggle than Lacy too. You should definitely look to handcuff as Goldendelicious suggested..

I see D Johnson as a better RBBC back more than a foundational one so pairing his youth with AP for Lacy + may be your move.
    @SmittysRant

After further consideration, I have an alternative.

Do not go after Lacy. No need to deplete your roster depth when you do not have to. Instead wait it out and see how your season progresses. If you contend, sell AP during the offseason for picks +. If you are not contending, then target a team that is prior to the deadline and sell AP for a whole bunch of stuff. Going into next season with Charles, Duke and David, Buck Allen, Khiry et is very nice depth. Restocking the cupboards and maintaining that depth with the additional picks that selling off AP will bring is the way to go.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Expert

Thanks for the input everyone -- very helpful all the way around. Rep given where I can.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I never really understood why in dynasty league, owners are constantly trading away aging stars (who are still performing like stars) for young guys to potentially lead them to a championship down the road. Depending on the rest of your roster, i think you may be in a position to win a championship this year. Hold

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhale View Post
    I never really understood why in dynasty league, owners are constantly trading away aging stars (who are still performing like stars) for young guys to potentially lead them to a championship down the road. Depending on the rest of your roster, i think you may be in a position to win a championship this year. Hold
    Well, in football it's been my experience that when you crash you crash hard if you're not constantly looking to slowly churn the roster, particularly at RB. I agree though that I don't think it makes sense to trade away aging studs for pure prospects. But the scenario I'm contemplating seems a bit different to me.

By most accounts, Lacy is a top tier stud RB in his own right. It was probably close to 50/50 on who between AP and Lacy was ranked higher entering the season in a 1 year league, most probably had Lacy higher than Charles, and nearly all probably had Lacy higher than both in a keeper/dynasty setting. And this may be the controversial part, but I'm not sure that production over the first three games really alters that viewpoint given that we've seen enough of all three guys over the years to know that none are a mirage.

In any event, I was just batting around whether now was an opportune time to try to move up to the newer model/same tier since those opportunities can be tough to come by, that's all.

But your point is well taken. Thanks for the input -- much appreciated!

Dobber Sports Expert

Agreed. You generally don't see the slow decline over the course of a couple years like you do in a sport like hockey. Football is very limited game action and 1 game has so much more of an impact in a 16 game schedule than a schedule with 82 or 161 games meaning coaches are more likely to run with the hot hand or gameplan around their strong points.