Thread: PS3 vs XBOX 36O...

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default PS3 vs XBOX 36O...

I am considering purchasing 1 of these consoles for my son for Christmas. I have always been a Playstation guy but I am trying to do some extensive research on the 2 systems before I make my final decision. Any input on either/both of these systems would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1 more thing, whatever system i decide on will be used primarily for sports games such as NHL and Madden.

Dobber Sports Giant

I won\'t bore you with all the technological differences between both machines so I will get straight down to the point!

I would go with XBOX 360! I have both systems and all sports games work best on the XBOX (control, gameplay, flow...). PS3 has slightly better graphics, but unless you have one of the top high def tvs on the market with all of the high def cables, you won\'t see the difference. PS3 is good for car games, Final Fantasy series and some other unique games. The XBOX offers a broader range of games, along with the best online service (unlike PS3, it\'s a yearly fee, but it\'s well worth the investment), and really good unique to console games (Halo, Gears of War)... Personally, like I said, I have both consoles and I have NHL 08 for both as well and I can tell you that I prefer playing the XBOX version any day over the PS3. Don\'t get me wrong here, the PS3 is a great console as well, however, I think XBOX is on top for the moment.

We can talk about this in a couple of years when Playstation will have come close to reaching its full potential, but at the moment and for the time being, the XBOX is a better investment, with a better price tag as well.

Enjoy!

(this is coming from a 20+ years gamer)
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Cooley, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

if your looking for price, the 360 is cheaper in the short run, ps3 cheaper in the long run. you have to pay every year for online on 360 while ps3 is free. 360\'s online community is better though...i bought a 360 but only because my brother bought a ps3. i would choose ps3>360, as the 360\'s usually needrepairs aswell

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I have never played PS3, so I can\'t really comment on it. I have been playing the X360 Elite system on a 37\" Sharp Aquos for over a year now and it is awesome! I just played NHL09 for the first time last night and it is undoubtedly the best hockey game ever made.

I can\'t really say anything negative about the 360....the controller is perfect, and the graphics and sound have been unbelieveable. I used to be a Playstation gamer specifically because of the Gran Turismo series. But now with the great racing games on 360 (Forza 2, Grid) I have no reason to buy a PS3.

The Blu-ray player on the PS3 is probably the only thing that would draw me to buy that system if I didn\'t own 360 already. But other than the lack of a Blu-ray drive the 360 is a solid choice.

PTKL (Pts,W,SO,SV,-GA)
    11 teams, 20-man rosters, top 9F, 4D, 1G count

NCHA (G,A,SOG,PIM,PPP,HIT,BS,FOW,W,SO,GAA,SV%)
    10 teams, weekly lineups, 20-man pro team, 30-man farm team

Dobber Sports Ninja

If you are ever considering watching Blu-Ray (however you spell it) then get a PS3 as it plays that media.

Banned

i recommend ps3 for the following:

-better graphics and rendering engine
    -free online network
    -plays blu-ray discs in 1080p (which if you\'ve never seen is absolutely stunning)
    -the hardware is far superior in terms of quality of compnents and manufacture. You want to hear some horror stories, type \'red ring of death\' into google and read up

As it stands now 360 has by far the better selection of games though PS3 is releasing alot more now and starting to catch up. If you play mostly sports games like Madden and NHL 09 you can get em on either console so the choice is yours really, I just prefer PS3

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I own an Xbox, but from now and the future the technology in the PS3 will outlast, also the blu-ray player gives it a plus. I think they are better made and the software and hardware are more well thought out. I think of PS3 as more of an investment at this point in time than an Xbox.
    16 team H2H Dynasty G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIMS, SV%, GAA, W, Saves

C: Tavares, Krejci, Brassard, Turris, Grabovski, O'Reilly
    LW: Nash, Mueller, Kulemin, Pacioretty, Caputi, Gerbe
    RW: Perry, Hudler, Skinner, Brouwer, Ryder, Simmonds, Boll
    D: Weber, Kaberle, Stralman, Del Zotto, Schenn, Meszaros

G: Price, Bryzgalov, Schneider, Allen, Holtby, Harding

Russia: Grebeshkov

Dobber Sports Sophomore

In defence of 360, I don\'t know anybody who has experienced the RRoD, but I know many people who have traded in their PS1 and PS2 systems because they die out quickly.

Despite what others say, Sony doesn\'t have the best track record for hardware stability either.

PTKL (Pts,W,SO,SV,-GA)
    11 teams, 20-man rosters, top 9F, 4D, 1G count

NCHA (G,A,SOG,PIM,PPP,HIT,BS,FOW,W,SO,GAA,SV%)
    10 teams, weekly lineups, 20-man pro team, 30-man farm team

Dobber Sports Ninja

I got the red ring of death on my 360 - took 4 months to get a new Xbox. My Ps2 was brand new only weeks after it was released and is still going strong. There are stories on both sides.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I agree with doulos... Ima technophile so i bought both the 360 and ps3 although i rarely play video games anymore, one thing i must say is despite the price difference, by the time you pay to add on all the things you need to get a 360 on par with a ps3 you will probably have spent more $$$ than if u just dished out the dough on a ps3.

1) controllers - 360s are great, but u need batteries... the rechargeable battery packs are EXTRA. ps3 controllers are rechargeable out of the box and i must say the charge lasts a LONG time. May not sound like a big thing but it is when u run out of batteries and cant find any in the house!

2) online - ps3 free, 360 ~$60 year.

3) quality - 360s have many flaws other than the RROD, my FIRST 360 ate video games for breakfast, lunch and dinner. not fun explaining that to the folks at blockbuster over and over.

4) blu-ray - HD-DVD is dead, blu-ray is king... to boot, the PS3 blu-ray is probably the best bang for the buck blu-ray player on the market. This is where the market is headed, so why buy dead technology? might as well pick up a beta player while ur at it...

5) sweet its quitting time, gotta cut this short!
    Dynasty - $100/yr buy-in - YEAR 8 - $100M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C - Crosby, Malkin, Getzlaf
    LW - Pavelski, Domi
    RW - Seguin, Perry
    D - Letang, OEL, Carlson, Hamilton, J. Schultz
    Util - M. Koivu, Aho, Spooner, Atkinson
    G - Rask, Quick

BENCH
    Brassard, Bjugstad, Jagr, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Buchnevich, Ekblad, Beaulieu, Severson, Lundqvist
    PROSPECT
    Puljujarvi, Boeser, Barzal, Dal Colle, Fiala, Sergachev, Lindell

FOUR TIME DEFENDING CHAMPION

Banned

chimp82x wrote:
    In defence of 360, I don\'t know anybody who has experienced the RRoD, but I know many people who have traded in their PS1 and PS2 systems because they die out quickly.

Despite what others say, Sony doesn\'t have the best track record for hardware stability either.
    that sounds like buyers remorse to me...all my friends are gamers and out of about 100 of them that bought 360, more than 60/100 of them have had the rrod turn it into a ****ing paper weight...mind you many of them bought it when it first came out and \'supposedly\' they\'ve fixed that issue but the fact stands that M$ builds cheap ass hardware compared to what you get from Sony. Sony actually LOSES money on their consoles because the components in each PS3 are worth more than the sticker price, its by far the better investment.

For the record, my PS2 was still going strong after over 5 years before I sold it to buy my PS3, my PS1 before that was the same deal, 4-5 years before i traded it in to upgrade. They do NOT die quickly, trust me

Dobber Sports Pro

I\'m in the same situation right now, deciding between the two, and I\'m fairly set on the 360.

-First off the controls. I\'ve never liked the Playstation controller...it gives me terrible thumb/hand cramps. The 360 better fits my hands, and it doesn\'t make the awkward decision of having two analog sticks at the bottom. That said, the 360 controller needs more sensitivity in its D-pad, as it\'s of laughable quality.

-Xbox has a better \"Arcade\" than the PS3\'s. There\'s a huge amount of games on both sides, so the exclusives are what count, and the 360 has more that I\'m interested in, like Braid.

-Price. The 360 is cheaper than its ever been...depending. I mean, if you want the Wifi adapter, that\'s extra. Batteries too.

-Third party support, and the future of the system...definitely shifts in Sony\'s favor. For some reason, Sony doesn\'t have a bad rep, and I can\'t fathom why they wouldn\'t after what they pulled last gen, and with the quality of ALL their products in the last decade. Sony will eventually wrestle third party support and last-gen gamers to their side and will best the 360 in sales. That said, like we saw last gen, multi-platform games are coming more frequently due to disappearing profit margins and larger expenses per game project. They NEED games on two consoles(unless they\'re making an elite franchise game) to break into the black. Sony will still get more games released on it(and often with time exclusivity) in the future, but the majority of those games will hit the 360. Guaranteed.

-The RRoD problem will very likely be fixed this coming spring when ATI stops being a jerk and finally gets around to fixing the GPU that causes the majority of the issues with RRoD nowadays. Microsoft fixed all the issues on their end, but ATI\'s GPU is still way too bulky at 90nm(unless their recent mobo change has it down to 65). This spring they\'re releasing a hybrid CPU/GPU combo motherboard for the 360 that will very likely end the RRoD epidemic.

-Racing games. I LOVE racing games, so one might assume I\'d want a PS3. Well, I\'ll admit I love me some Gran Turismo, but the fact is that Forza now is just as good, and they release new versions more often. Polyphony Digital tends to be WAY too focused on the car models and making sure collision is pitch perfect. Fact is that our technology right now won\'t be able to handle what PD is aspiring to reach, and Forza\'s physics engine is incredibly accurate at determining the consequences of collision...even if it doesn\'t look like it on-screen.
    Also, while I enjoy fighting games, and usually they\'re better using a d-pad(thus, one would say I should get a PS3), I see it as a wash considering I buy the special arcade sticks, and both consoles have all the fighting games I like. :P

-Better online, even if it\'s not free like on PS3. If I go online, it\'ll be with bells and whistles. I probably don\'t plan to, unless it\'s me getting those arcade games. :P

Some enjoy the fact that the PS3 is a blu-ray player. That\'s great and all, but I like my DVDs and I\'m not going to go out and buy BLU-RAY versions of them after VHS only recently died out. DVD will be around for a good while yet, and I don\'t really care about the difference in picture quality. The only thing Blu-Ray has going for it that interests me is the storage capacity, which is future-geared. It\'s too bad that once it gets widely used to full potential, the next gen of systems will be out. I\'ll care about it then.

Both systems are close to a wash for me, so basically it\'s just controls and price that shift me in favor of the 360 slightly.
    ZFHL
    ------------
    Ovechkin-Couture-Kovalchuk
    Benn-Ott-Eriksson
    Halischuk-Berglund-S.Thornton
    Bowman-Legwand-Mitchell
    Faulk-Orlov
    Martin-Y.Weber
    Wilson-Smid
    Niemi

Butler,Horak,Nodl,Omark,Bartulis, Carson,Demers,Staios,Garon,Schneider

PROSPECTS
    Nyquist,Bennett,Guptill,Haula,Knight, Kristo,Ranford,Rieder,Sundher,Barberio
    Dumoulin,Deslauriers,Janosik,Klefbom
    Ness,Sproul,Vatanen,Poulin

Dobber Sports Sophomore

after 11 or 12 posts it looks like a wash. that is pretty much what i have been getting since i began researching the 2. back when PS2 was released i was working part time @ TOY\'S R US. i was able to snag 1 that christmas when people were paying up to $800 to get their hands on them. i still own it today and have never had a problem....not once. so i can attest to what mcgoo is saying about durability.

the blu-ray isn\'t really a deal breaker for me only due to the fact that at the time of the PS2 the DVD player was the kicker for most. a couple of yrs later you could get one for under $100. i anticipate the same thing happening here. in the end i will probally go with what i know and that is PLAYSTATION. i love the controller and i believe the price of the 360 is a little deceptive as someone noted earlier. the one question i have is what makes the online so much better for 360 then PS3? i have yet to induldge in the world of online gaming so i am ignorant to this.

once again, thanks to all who took the time to respond everyones opinions/knowledge was extremley helpful.

Dobber Sports Genius

another 2 thumbs up for the ps3.
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

flip a coin. you wont be disappointed no matter what you get. if you get an xbox, make sure its got the falcon chip and uses 175 watts. im sure thats pretty standard now, but you never know whats still floating around out there