Thread: NHL 09 is worth the money!...

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default NHL 09 is worth the money!...

If you are a video game nerd such as myself you will be interested to know that the new NHL 09 came out yesterday. I have played it for only a couple of hours last night, but I can tell you 09 is a huge improvement over 08, and I loved NHL 08! There is now the new \"Be a Pro\" career mode where you can create your own player and work your way up from the minors to the NHL. There is lot\'s of detail and customization available when creating your player (i.e sniper, goon, offensive or defensive D-men,Helmet type, stick type, skate type, etc.) You can also use the \"Be a Pro\" player online via XBOX Live. You can create your own team with a group of friends and challenge other teams. Each player will gain or lose experience points depending on how they perform during the game. And yes, you can play up to 12 people at a time!. If you enjoyed NHL 08 I highly encourage you to pick up NHL 09, you won\'t be dissapointed.

If you are interested in playing online send me a message and I will forward you my gamer tag.

\"Keep your stick on the ice\"
    12 man keeper league;
    C-Mueller, Jokinen, Savard, Bergeron, Turris
    LW-D. Sedin, Morrow, Huselius, Booth
    RW-Sharp, Lupul, D. Brown, Parros
    D-Phaneuf, Seabrook, Whitney, Gilbert, A. Aucoin
    G-Luongo, Legace, Bryzgalov
    Prospects-Rask, Schneider

Dobber Sports Ace

grnhornet wrote:
    If you are a video game nerd such as myself you will be interested to know that the new NHL 09 came out yesterday. I have played it for only a couple of hours last night, but I can tell you 09 is a huge improvement over 08, and I loved NHL 08! There is now the new \"Be a Pro\" career mode where you can create your own player and work your way up from the minors to the NHL. There is lot\'s of detail and customization available when creating your player (i.e sniper, goon, offensive or defensive D-men,Helmet type, stick type, skate type, etc.) You can also use the \"Be a Pro\" player online via XBOX Live. You can create your own team with a group of friends and challenge other teams. Each player will gain or lose experience points depending on how they perform during the game. And yes, you can play up to 12 people at a time!. If you enjoyed NHL 08 I highly encourage you to pick up NHL 09, you won\'t be dissapointed.

If you are interested in playing online send me a message and I will forward you my gamer tag.

\"Keep your stick on the ice\"
    NHL09 isn\'t out in the UK until Friday (12th) so i won\'t be on until Friday night but always up for a game.

My tag is the same as my name on here.
    12 Team H2H keeper league
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, Hits, GWG & SOG. W, GAA, SV% & SHO
    Daily changes, Start: 3C 3LW 3RW 6D 1F 2W 2G - 10 Bench

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Yeah NHL is the \"nuts!\"

I have a PS3 so I won\'t be able to play online with you. I really can\'t wait to get started with the \"be a pro\" online feature. Looks awesome!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

So far everything from the gameplay to the graphics is amazing. But I have a question. Is it true that if you play the \"classic\" controls then you cannot change your own lines, even if you put that you wanna play with line changes on? I looked at the instruction booklet and it says under line changes for classic are N/A. Isnt that odd? How can you not have the option to change your own lines just because you play with \"classic\" controls?

Banned

so i dont get what makes it so much better than 08, in 08 you could create your own player and customize him just the same, you could also pick goon, sniper, etc...they didn\'t have the \'be a pro mode\' but I find those are lame anyway (at least when they tried it in Madden the 1st year it was a complete failure).

Is it the online play that you like? And did they make the experience pts thing work better? because I never thought that was too well thought out. In general I just don\'t see the need to blow $60 when they barely change it year to year, sure its nice to get the updated rosters and stuff but I usually go with the 2 yr cycle

Dobber Sports Ace

Does this year\'s have a fantasy draft option?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

mister_mcgoo wrote:
    so i dont get what makes it so much better than 08, in 08 you could create your own player and customize him just the same, you could also pick goon, sniper, etc...they didn\'t have the \'be a pro mode\' but I find those are lame anyway (at least when they tried it in Madden the 1st year it was a complete failure).

Is it the online play that you like? And did they make the experience pts thing work better? because I never thought that was too well thought out. In general I just don\'t see the need to blow $60 when they barely change it year to year, sure its nice to get the updated rosters and stuff but I usually go with the 2 yr cycle
    the BIGGEST difference is the online hockey league. You now have the option to play as your created player on a team with a bunch of your friends. In this game mode, you are locked to one position (C, LW, RW, D, or G) and you get graded on how well you play that posistion.. then you earn points to make your online player better. It keeps track of your clubs records as well as your personal records.. cool idea actually. Problem is, they didn\'t invest in the servers (yet) I tried to play in that mode after 2 hours of trying to get it to work I got nothing.

Other differences are pretty sweet as well. They reprogramed the hitting engine and beefed up the defense controls with the ability to lift the stick and full 360 control of your poke check.. the fighting is also a bit better as well. On offense you can now protect the puck as you skate and do one handed dekes.

All and all, very very cool.. They just need to get their shit together as far as their online servers are concerned.
    8 Teams 10 Keepers H2H
    g - a - pts - (+/-) - ppp - shp - fw - sv% - .gaa - so
    3C-3RW-3LW-4D-1UTL-2G - 4Bench

Keepers:
    C - Crosby, Thornton, Toews, Tavares
    LW - Kovalchuk, Nash
    RW - Kane
    G - Price, Fleury

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

its a much better game than \'08 was. im not huge on the be a pro mode either. its the little things like being able to protect the puck, more realistic passing/shooting, and the new defensive controls that make the difference for me