Thread: Big Trade Involving Ovi and Kane

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Big Trade Involving Ovi and Kane

Team/League Settings in my sig.

I'm currently carrying too many goalies, so I will be adding at least one skater through FA before Playoffs begin (March 16th). With my current roster I am at capacity on March 19th, 21st and 26th and one over capacity on March 28th and April 4th. So if I add an extra skater that plays on all the main days I could be losing the current 2 games, plus 5 more for the guy I pick up.

Chicago is the most attractive team during Playoffs because they play 3/4/4 and play on a ton of off days. Another owner approached me about a trade involving his Kane for my Ovi. Ovi has been the best player in the league this year, so I want to be careful with this trade. I want to make sure that the 2nd player I get is better than the 2nd player I give away.

In terms of capacity, swapping Kane for Ovi would mean I would still be at capacity on March 21st, 28th and April 4th and not over capacity on any days. So adding one more skater through FA could mean losing 3 games, rather than 7. Chicago also plays one additional game during the playoffs (compared with Washington). So, I could gain 5 total skater games as a result of this swap.

In terms of the secondary players in the trade I am considering his Backes for my Perron. Pittsburgh and St. Louis play the same number of games in the playoffs. Their schedules on the off days are also similar. St. Louis has a slightly better one for my team, but I'll ignore that for these purposes.

Hopefully that made at least a little bit of sense.

How do you guys feeling about his Kane and Backes for my Ovi and Perron in general? If the feeling is that it's close to even then I think it makes sense to go through with it because it will gain me games.
    Yahoo 10 Team H2H League (Daily Change) - G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, Shots, W, Save%, GAA, SO

C -E. Staal (C/LW), Zetterberg (C/LW), Hall (C/LW), Spezza
    LW - D. Sedin, Perron (LW/RW)
    RW - Ovechkin (LW/RW), Gaborik (LW/RW)
    D - Subban, Keith, Kronwall, Klingberg
    G - Elliott, Dubnyk, Allen, Talbot
    IR - Bobrovsky

Start 2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 2 G

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Big Trade Involving Ovi and Kane

I support your thinking.
    There is value in getting extra games in.
    This goes beyond traditional trade analysis where we assume it's 20games from one guy vs. 20games from another guy.
    If you open up free slots, you can use your bench a little more liberally.

Thumbs up from me on acquiring P.Kane/Backes... for the boost in scheduling/roster value.
    You sacrifice some of OV's shots, but WAS is a lock for playoffs anyways... maybe he'll know he's a lock for the goal-scoring race and WAS is a lock for playoffs... maybe he'll slow down!
    He's on fire though right now!!!