Page 147 of 371 FirstFirst ... 47 97 137 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 157 197 247 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,205 of 5558

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

The Great One

Default Re: Edmonton Oilers

I really wish I knew what deals have been offered to the Oilers over the years and which ones they've turned down. Part of me thinks maybe the rest of the league is not offering the Oilers anything decent and part of me thinks the Oilers are overvaluing their players.

I can respect the Oilers for staying strong when EVERYONE is telling them to shake things up, but only if the offers they have been getting are tantamount to robbery.

That said, I'm about at the point where I just want them to make any move, even if it is robbery, because I think the majority of the issue with this team is mental. They lack confidence and have no leadership on or off the ice. If they bring in new players, maybe the mentality can start to shift at least a little bit.

I'm not giving up on this team long-term. To be honest, the idea of getting McDavid has actually made this 10-game losing streak bearable. If this was a regular draft and they'd be drafting someone like RNH or Yakupov, I'd definitely be burning my Oilers' jersey, but McDavid may finally be the player that this franchise desperately needs. No offense to Hall, but McDavid will be a true superstar and something the Oilers haven't had on their roster since Messier left.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Deity

10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I really wish I knew what deals have been offered to the Oilers over the years and which ones they've turned down. Part of me thinks maybe the rest of the league is not offering the Oilers anything decent and part of me thinks the Oilers are overvaluing their players.

I can respect the Oilers for staying strong when EVERYONE is telling them to shake things up, but only if the offers they have been getting are tantamount to robbery.

That said, I'm about at the point where I just want them to make any move, even if it is robbery, because I think the majority of the issue with this team is mental. They lack confidence and have no leadership on or off the ice. If they bring in new players, maybe the mentality can start to shift at least a little bit.

I'm not giving up on this team long-term. To be honest, the idea of getting McDavid has actually made this 10-game losing streak bearable. If this was a regular draft and they'd be drafting someone like RNH or Yakupov, I'd definitely be burning my Oilers' jersey, but McDavid may finally be the player that this franchise desperately needs. No offense to Hall, but McDavid will be a true superstar and something the Oilers haven't had on their roster since Messier left.
    A line with Hall/McDavid/tbt does sound enjoyable to watch.

That said...Hall in ANY other jersey would be great for me (as a fantasy owner and personal fan... I really want to see this kid hit his potential without being stiffled by this ineptitude in Edmonton)

Dobber Sports Pro

You know what will cheer you guys up?

A new Hitler rant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t79pQ-OMYpU

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I feel like the idea that Hall isn't a superstar is pretty ridiculous. The dude puts up over PPG numbers on this team. There's only so much 1 left winger can control in the outcome of a game. Even a center has more overall impact than a winger can have.

Dobber Sports Ninja

McDavid will do nothing for this team. Just like his 5 predecessors.

The Oilers problems are both broad and deeply rooted. There needs to be sweeping changes starting from the top, and it will take a long time because of politics. If they keep the current management in place, then they will continue burning through #1 picks like inventory. Even a generational player of McDavid's ilk will not be sufficient to reverse this franchise's trajectory.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post

The Oilers problems are both broad and deeply rooted. There needs to be sweeping changes starting from the top, and it will take a long time because of politics. If they keep the current management in place, then they will continue burning through #1 picks like inventory. Even a generational player of McDavid's ilk will not be sufficient to reverse this franchise's trajectory.
    If McDavid and Eichel are TRULY generational talents like everyone is touting them as, I think they can work their way through the crap. Tavares found a way to do it with lesser quality surrounding players on Long Island, and in my opinion, a bigger gong show organization at the time than the Oilers are today, and that's saying a lot.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I feel like the idea that Hall isn't a superstar is pretty ridiculous. The dude puts up over PPG numbers on this team. There's only so much 1 left winger can control in the outcome of a game. Even a center has more overall impact than a winger can have.
    I guess the term "superstar" is subjective. What I meant was a player comparable to Messier (a hall of famer) which Hall has not yet proven he will become. Maybe that is unfair because much of Hall's potential may be getting wasting in Edmonton, but I honestly believe that true superstars make their own fortune/success and don't rely on others.

I am a HUGE Hall fan, but McDavid would be on a whole other level to him, and that is what I was saying (and why I said no offense to Hall).
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

The Great One

You put Crosby on this team, and he'd make a difference.

You put McDavid on this team, and he will eventually make the same difference.

McDavid is better than Hall, RNH, Yakupov, and every other first overall pick who has been selected in the NHL since Crosby.

I understand your point and frustration, but McDavid would definitely make a huge difference to this franchise, and for a lot more than just his on-ice play. You are talking about a marketing machine. Players will actually want to come to Edmonton to play hockey if McDavid was on this team.

He could do exactly to this franchise what Crosby did to Pittsburgh (a franchise that was in danger of folding). Edmonton has an incredibly loyal fan base and is not going to fold, but McDavid would still save this franchise from being the laughing stock of the NHL.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I guess the term "superstar" is subjective. What I meant was a player comparable to Messier (a hall of famer) which Hall has not yet proven he will become. Maybe that is unfair because much of Hall's potential may be getting wasting in Edmonton, but I honestly believe that true superstars make their own fortune/success and don't rely on others.

I am a HUGE Hall fan, but McDavid would be on a whole other level to him, and that is what I was saying (and why I said no offense to Hall).
    That's fair, although what argument can be made that Hall hasn't created his own success? Again, unless you feel that trading Hall for Crosby turns the current version of this team from what they are to even a bubble playoff team (I think there's far too many other issues for that to be the case), I'd argue that Hall has created as much success (individually) as possible.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    If McDavid and Eichel are TRULY generational talents like everyone is touting them as, I think they can work their way through the crap. Tavares found a way to do it with lesser quality surrounding players on Long Island, and in my opinion, a bigger gong show organization at the time than the Oilers are today, and that's saying a lot.
    Exactly...some people forget what a joke the Islanders were. And McDavid is even better than Tavares.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    That's fair, although what argument can be made that Hall hasn't created his own success? Again, unless you feel that trading Hall for Crosby turns the current version of this team from what they are to even a bubble playoff team (I think there's far too many other issues for that to be the case), I'd argue that Hall has created as much success (individually) as possible.
    I'm not talking individual success. I am talking winning. Hall is a great player, but he doesn't make the players around him better and he obviously isn't a good leader who is motivating the rest of his teammates to play hard and actually win some hockey games, let alone become a playoff team.

Crosby wouldn't immediately fix this team, but give him a few seasons and he'd turn this team into a winner. Maybe not a Stanley Cup winner, but a respectable team. Not to mention Free Agents would actually want to play in Edmonton if Crosby was on the team. No one is flocking to Edmonton to play with Hall.

It is more than just talent. Hall has loads of talent, but he doesn't have the charisma and worth ethic that Crosby (and other true superstars) have.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Ninja

You put Crosby on this team, and he'd make a difference.

You put McDavid on this team, and he will eventually make the same difference.

McDavid is better than Hall, RNH, Yakupov, and every other first overall pick who has been selected in the NHL since Crosby.

I understand your point and frustration, but McDavid would definitely make a huge difference to this franchise, and for a lot more than just his on-ice play. You are talking about a marketing machine. Players will actually want to come to Edmonton to play hockey if McDavid was on this team.

He could do exactly to this franchise what Crosby did to Pittsburgh (a franchise that was in danger of folding). Edmonton has an incredibly loyal fan base and is not going to fold, but McDavid would still save this franchise from being the laughing stock of the NHL.
    I have to disagree.

Yes, Crosby would make the difference, but my whole point is that "rookie" Crosby would not turn into "present" Crosby in a poorly managed environment like Edmonton. Again, it starts from the top.

All you have in that locker room is a bunch of inexperienced, immature babies who are probably feeling sorry for themselves and are not getting the leadership and guidance they need to mature and develop to their potential. As great as McDavid may become, he's just a kid, and is fully susceptible to peer influences and mistakes like any other human being (ie: breaking his hand in that fight for instance).

To compare Pittsburgh to Edmonton is a joke, and to be honest, your entire post sounds like a broken record that we hear year after year after year. Drafting McDavid would be putting yet another #1 through the ringer and wasting his formative years in a shitty environment. McDavid does not solve any of the fundamental underlying issues plaguing this organization.

The Great One

I have to disagree.

Yes, Crosby would make the difference, but my whole point is that "rookie" Crosby would not turn into "present" Crosby in a poorly managed environment like Edmonton. Again, it starts from the top.

All you have in that locker room is a bunch of inexperienced, immature babies who are probably feeling sorry for themselves and are not getting the leadership and guidance they need to mature and develop to their potential. As great as McDavid may become, he's just a kid, and is fully susceptible to peer influences and mistakes like any other human being (ie: breaking his hand in that fight for instance).

To compare Pittsburgh to Edmonton is a joke, and to be honest, your entire post sounds like a broken record that we hear year after year after year. Drafting McDavid would be putting yet another #1 through the ringer and wasting his formative years in a shitty environment. McDavid does not solve any of the fundamental underlying issues plaguing this organization.
    well, I guess we will just have to disagree then, because McDavid will be different.

He won't be the solution all on his own, and that isn't what I was implying, but his talent far exceeds anything Edmonton has on their current roster, and the biggest factor you are neglecting is that others will want to play in Edmonton. They will finally be able to bring in the leadership they are sorely lacking.

I agree that locker room is a mess, but that would all change if McDavid was around. I'm not saying that they win the Stanley Cup like Pittsburgh, but McDavid would instantly bring this club some respect and enable them to finally move in the right direction.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Star

Ahh... up by one with four minutes left and we lose in OT. I pretty firmly believe that Scrivens is a sub-standard goalie, but you can't blame him for the loss. The big positive that I can take from this game, is that my Trouba had a great game!

Rylant