Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Any one play LOL??

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Any one play LOL??

Hearthstone has some entertainment value but is one giant moneysink.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    I did play Dota 2 but have decided that outside activities and hanging with friends are more fun/beneficial. When I saw that I'd spent 500+ hours into it I decided that it sucks too much time out of your life. For me life is for more than gaining a sweet radiation tan and a higher level. Plus I was hardly had l33t skills as they say...

Great game though!!

never played LOL, but watched enough of it to know it's basically a rip off of the original Dota with worse graphics
    So lots wrong with this- lmao!! First off it cant be a "rip off" because Riots core design team were basically the biggest contributors to Dota allstars. You cant really rip-off your own idea- lol! If you make such a successful game model (the MOBA genre essentially)- why wouldn't you want to branch out on your own? From what I understrand Blizzard is notoriously difficult to work with/for. They've already got their cash cows with their Craft franchises anyways.

As for the graphics- they did go with a more "cartoonish" feel which I actually don't mind at all. Also the games been kicking since 2008 so the graphics are literally outdated now and its becoming more glaringly obvious the more new MOBA's come out. Riot has addressed this with their announcement of a full visual overhaul- which looks fantastic imo:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e_N4WpqH5o

Anyways i get it though- its not for everyone. Im surprised there is so much more Dota2 love- always got the impression League was more popular. The competetive scene is pretty engrossing too- watch a lot of LCS.

I also started in the original Dota- q'ing up in custom warcraft 3 games- lol! Ahhh- those were the days- fun stuff...

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by keytolife View Post
    Played LOL for a while and just realized latley that my ex-teamn now plays LCS qualifiers. Waaay to time consuming. Anyone has the Hearthstone addiction instead?=
    What team??

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    I did play Dota 2 but have decided that outside activities and hanging with friends are more fun/beneficial. When I saw that I'd spent 500+ hours into it I decided that it sucks too much time out of your life. For me life is for more than gaining a sweet radiation tan and a higher level. Plus I was hardly had l33t skills as they say...

Great game though!!

never played LOL, but watched enough of it to know it's basically a rip off of the original Dota with worse graphics
    Only 500?

I have over 2k hours just in Dota 2...

That excludes the time sinked in the Warcraft III Dota... which is probably another 1k.
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    24 team H2H (W-:L) Dynasty - 3C/LW/RW/F, 6D, 1G.
    G/A/(+/-)/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/GWG/HIT/BLK/FOW
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

NHL Cap + 1M salary cap (AAV)

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    So lots wrong with this- lmao!! First off it cant be a "rip off" because Riots core design team were basically the biggest contributors to Dota allstars. You cant really rip-off your own idea- lol! If you make such a successful game model (the MOBA genre essentially)- why wouldn't you want to branch out on your own? From what I understrand Blizzard is notoriously difficult to work with/for. They've already got their cash cows with their Craft franchises anyways.

Many would argue that Guinsoo and Eul's were key contributors, yes, but they did a pretty shitty job for the most part. Icefrog is the one who really changed things around, and he's been heading Dota 2 since it's inception. He's making huge changes that somehow always make the game better. It's seriously entertaining.

As for the graphics- they did go with a more "cartoonish" feel which I actually don't mind at all. Also the games been kicking since 2008 so the graphics are literally outdated now and its becoming more glaringly obvious the more new MOBA's come out. Riot has addressed this with their announcement of a full visual overhaul- which looks fantastic imo:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e_N4WpqH5o

Anyways i get it though- its not for everyone. Im surprised there is so much more Dota2 love- always got the impression League was more popular. The competetive scene is pretty engrossing too- watch a lot of LCS.

LoL has more numbers, but the best comparison I have is this one : LoL is to Checkers what Dota is to Chess. LoL is much more casual compared to DotA - easier to get into, less punishing (in dota, you make one mistake and the opposing hero can rip you to bits), shorter game times in general, etc (although DotA's latest changes have made the snowball effect much less pronounced). DotA's competitive scene is probably one of the more lucrative ones out there (http://www.esportsearnings.com/players]see here if you don't believe meand some players have (perhaps jokinly) said that if they tried LoL but were already top players crushing the regulars after a few weeks, and didn't offer enough a challenge, so they came back). But, LoL has been boosting it's competitive offerings, mostly because of the huge amounts of money Riot pours into it, while most of Dota's tournaments are self-funded (except for the biggest one of all - The International - where Valve can put up to 10M - although 1.6M of that is them and the other is from sales of an item in game, Riot basically funds their tournaments with all the money they get from the in game items they make.)

I also started in the original Dota- q'ing up in custom warcraft 3 games- lol! Ahhh- those were the days- fun stuff...

Oh man, so many fun maps.
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Nights View Post
    here if you don't believe meand some players have (perhaps jokinly) said that if they tried LoL but were already top players crushing the regulars after a few weeks, and didn't offer enough a challenge, so they came back)....
    I dont want to get into a whole Dota2 vs LOL debate because Ive seen how those end up- hahaha! Im sure Dota 2 is as fun and addictive as LOL in its own way. I can prefer one while still understanding the merit of another.

That being said you're losing me with this argument-that comment about LOL being too easy is a bit much and reeks of trollololol- haha! Like the money was too easy to make? Anyways you said it might have been said jokingly- and Im pretty sure it was. It just speaks to me about the biggest problem I hear in this debate- LOL is dumbed down/simple. I just dont buy it.

The main issues Im guessing:

- Dota 2 punishes you more- you steal gold on kills and can deny creeps.
    - You can build your characters in various unique ways- via items/skill tree.

Dota players say that adds "depth". My argument is that it increases disparity and enables snowballing. If I cant deny creeps- my enemy whose more skillful can- will outlevel me and crush me in lane- has a better than average chance to carry the game. If Im building a champ Im unfamiliar with and make a few bad choices- my enemy whose more knowledgable than me will out itemize me, crush me in lane- and has a better than average chance to carry the game. To me thats not necessarily depth and youre just kind of changing the reward emphasis to early game. Guy who crushes lane = won game. In LOL there is more parity and even though its more "forgiving" it means that mid and late game fights are that much more critical- objective control takes priority over farming your face off. I dont think its a worse emphasis just a different one. Losing a game because the guy you randomly Q'd up with got dominated in the first 10 minutes just doesnt sound fun. In LOL that actually still happens but from what I understand it happens on a smaller scale which to me is a good thing.`

Its true that if I take Garen (Tank) you know how Im building him and what hes doing- but why is that a bad thing? Theres some flexibility with a lot of guys- but I just never understood why its so important to be able to build to play somebody with a specific kit in some funky role. Its usually just for the novelty of it and I imagine Dota2 doesnt differ a lot in this regard. You wouldnt bulid a Venomancer tank would you? And chances are if you did a player with equal skill would excel at that role and peform better if he took a character whose kit was designed for that. Besides LOL is up to over a hundred champions so theres still plenty of room to catch your opponent offguard if you really wanted too.

Im not being rhetorical in my questions either- I honestly don`t know. In any case I plan on trying it and it seems like a fun and unique MOBA. Its just that as an adamant League fan- that argument just kind of grinds me gears- I dont really buy it. It seems to me Dota fans just like the game, graphics, reward system and heroes better- but no need to throw League under the bus. Different skillsets are rewarded with its own set of applicable strategies- its not dumbed down.

/Endrant

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    I dont want to get into a whole Dota2 vs LOL debate because Ive seen how those end up- hahaha! Im sure Dota 2 is as fun and addictive as LOL in its own way. I can prefer one while still understanding the merit of another.
    I know what you mean :P

That being said you're losing me with this argument-that comment about LOL being too easy is a bit much and reeks of trollololol- haha! Like the money was too easy to make? Anyways you said it might have been said jokingly- and Im pretty sure it was. It just speaks to me about the biggest problem I hear in this debate- LOL is dumbed down/simple. I just dont buy it.

The main issues Im guessing:

- Dota 2 punishes you more- you steal gold on kills and can deny creeps.
    - You can build your characters in various unique ways- via items/skill tree.
    Well, when I say that LoL is easier then DotA I speak from experience and more testomonials from friends. That isn't factual, it's opinion.

In general, DotA punishes you more because :

- Rare are the heroes who have an escape
    - There are a lot of stuns that last longish and take out a chunk of your HP pool
    - You lose gold on death and don't respawn as fast, so a key death in a crucial moment on the game can literally cost you the game, depending on who you are.
    - There's also that magical "Magic Immunity for 10 seconds" item that can be critical in a key fight.

You are caught out of position? Give me 5 seconds... yeah, sorry, dead now. You lost a rax (dota's version of the inhibitor, but it never comes back). Better luck next time. That said, I have (many times) come back from 2 rax down to win the game. Dota is a fickle beast.

In League? Well, I have the same amount of gold, which is nice. I come back quick, and if we lose an inhibitor we just have to keep stalling for 5 minutes and we can make a come back there.

Although, in it's defence, it also slowed the snowball mechanic by adding a new "factor" in the formula for area gold / XP (gold / XP around a guy when you get a kill). The more farm / XP the other team has, and in particular the hero that was just killed, the more you get. You can literally be in a deficit now, solo kill a hero or two, and finish with 4k gold (note - this is a LOT). Do that twice and you're back in the driver's seat.

Dota players say that adds "depth". My argument is that it increases disparity and enables snowballing. If I cant deny creeps- my enemy whose more skillful can- will outlevel me and crush me in lane- has a better than average chance to carry the game. If Im building a champ Im unfamiliar with and make a few bad choices- my enemy whose more knowledgable than me will out itemize me, crush me in lane- and has a better than average chance to carry the game. To me thats not necessarily depth and youre just kind of changing the reward emphasis to early game. Guy who crushes lane = won game. In LOL there is more parity and even though its more "forgiving" it means that mid and late game fights are that much more critical- objective control takes priority over farming your face off. I dont think its a worse emphasis just a different one. Losing a game because the guy you randomly Q'd up with got dominated in the first 10 minutes just doesnt sound fun. In LOL that actually still happens but from what I understand it happens on a smaller scale which to me is a good thing.
    Denying is something people tend to have a binary view on - you like it or you don't. I like it because that is an additional level of control you have other the other. If they hide and just sit in XP range, then you deny his creeps so he gets less XP. In a valiantly fought 1v1, it can be interesting to play the games of "Am I going to let him get this creep to get mine, or deny it, hoping he tries to kill it, and get both?". Lots of small decisions that are crucial as you go.

As for randomly queing up with a guy, well, I hate that in both games. Dota is great with a group. Solo it's just a roll of the dice. Same would apply with LoL. Both those games are a split between strategy, team composition to apply said strategy, exucution, adaptation, and then mechanical skill. You need good communication and team play for 4/5 of those elements. Pubs often don't care, so it's harder.

Also, note my comment on the "snowball" mechanic above. Sure, someone can still crush a lane and keep the momentum going, but if he makes a mistake himself he can give a windfall to the other team for no good reason.

Its true that if I take Garen (Tank) you know how Im building him and what hes doing- but why is that a bad thing? Theres some flexibility with a lot of guys- but I just never understood why its so important to be able to build to play somebody with a specific kit in some funky role. Its usually just for the novelty of it and I imagine Dota2 doesnt differ a lot in this regard. You wouldnt bulid a Venomancer tank would you? And chances are if you did a player with equal skill would excel at that role and peform better if he took a character whose kit was designed for that. Besides LOL is up to over a hundred champions so theres still plenty of room to catch your opponent offguard if you really wanted too.

Im not being rhetorical in my questions either- I honestly don`t know. In any case I plan on trying it and it seems like a fun and unique MOBA. Its just that as an adamant League fan- that argument just kind of grinds me gears- I dont really buy it. It seems to me Dota fans just like the game, graphics, reward system and heroes better- but no need to throw League under the bus. Different skillsets are rewarded with its own set of applicable strategies- its not dumbed down.

/Endrant
    A lot of guys in DotA have set-in-stone builds for skills and items. It's pretty stock standard now, especially with the emergence of professional DotA broadcasting - people follow it more, mimic what the pros do more, etc. A lot of people who are introduced to dota are told to watch videos, professional games to get a feel, read some guides (all of these are built into the client) - there's even a coaching option. There are some that are more flexible, but most of the time the optimal paths are pretty set, with little variation.

Venomancer usually supports, but he can be slightly semi-carry too. He's been played as a core (3) as well. Lots of heroes have flexible roles, but lots are also very defined - you won't see a Spectre not be the main farmer ever.

I personally, from experience, feel that League is more of a casual environment that is easier to get into, but ultimately it's the high level in DotA that really intrigues me. Both have their markets, and both are excellent at nailing them. But to say that both are equal in terms of appeal and what they deliver is off. It's like saying McDonalds and A&W are both fast foods and both the same. In Canada, at least, both appeal to different markets, and both offer similar (I mean, burger joints) yet different options.

I mean, League could very well have changed in the last 2 years, but it's still not something that tickles my fancy from the experience I have had with it, and I enjoy DotA more then enough to just stick with what works.
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by MolsonX View Post
    LMAO is more fun IMO.
    FWIW dude, you have to download the expansion ROTFLMAO to really get the full experience

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MolsonX View Post
    LMAO is more fun IMO.
    FWIW dude, you have to download the expansion ROTFLMAO to really get the full experience
    Without me, it's only "aweso".