Thread: MacKinnon vs Charles Hamelin - acceleration test

Dobber Sports Guru

Default MacKinnon vs Charles Hamelin - acceleration test

It is a commercial so take it with a grain of salt but the fact MacKinnon beats him is impressive

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: MacKinnon vs Charles Hamelin - acceleration test

That's awesome.
    I'm not surprised. Tacks or not, I think there would be very little difference between elite skaters (speed or hockey).

I love the slow-mo showing the bend/angle of MacK's skate to the ice.
    Imagine how much of an angle that a body can hold with extreme speed/velocity.

Thanks! Love this vid!

Administrator

That's cool stuff.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ninja

Cool video. Hamelin would destroy the ever loving crap out of him in an actual speedskating race with turning etc, but it's cool to see that the acceleration portion is awfully close between these high end athletes.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Cool video. Hamelin would destroy the ever loving crap out of him in an actual speedskating race with turning etc, but it's cool to see that the acceleration portion is awfully close between these high end athletes.
    Yeah, in this regard both of these guys are training very much the same way, gearing towards explosive bursts over short periods of time. You could even make an argument that Hamelin is at a disadvantage in this because he actually trains for races that take over four minutes to complete. I think the only players skating four-minute shifts are like Ovechkin and Ryan Suter. So MacKinnon is training that short burst speed at least as much as Hamelin, if not more, I would guess.

Either way. Really cool stuff.

Dobber Sports Ninja

See, this is what I would love to see at the NHL All-Star Skills competition. Blue line to blue line is a way better thing to measure than one lap around the ice. The only guys who did that were guys like Bobby Orr and Paul Coffey. What was MacKinnon's time, something like 2.5 seconds? Damn, he looked crazy fast. Now that number has no context until we see what other "speedsters" do in that distance. C'mon NHL, look after us fans, give us something meaningful to watch instead of that stupid one lap of America crap. Oh yeah, I'm also really thankful that I was able to finish in second last two years ago and then win the lottery, allowing me to draft Nate the Great! lol If you're going to do something, do it good and that includes losing!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

The Great One

Im positive that was the optimal distance for hockey skates. Anything longer and Mac would have been destroyed. Speed skates are meant for acceleration. Im more impressed with Hamelin than anything in this video.

Dobber Sports Star

That was a pretty cool video. I would like to see the result from a full lap. They probably did one, even if the cameras weren't rolling!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by MarmotKing View Post
    That was a pretty cool video. I would like to see the result from a full lap. They probably did one, even if the cameras weren't rolling!
    A full lap would be destruction. Hamelin would crush. It would be hilarious to see though.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yeah, it wouldn't even be close past the first corner, but it would be fun to see what a high end athlete like Hamelin looks like in that situation. Either way, I like these kinds of videos. I'm sure Hamelin would get destroyed in a hockey game right, so that's not quite the point of it all.

The Great One

What would be really interesting to see would be if they each put on the others skates and did the same test.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'm surprised Hamelin didn't destroy him, but I guess when you're looking at such short distances "destroy" amounts to milliseconds.

On the other hand, it's just a commercial, so who knows what CCM instructed them to do.

Dobber Sports Genius

Reminds me of the commercial where C. Ronaldo raced a Bugatti.

Dobber Sports Ninja

MacKinnon was also handicapped by having to wear his hockey equipment! Man, I am so impressed with his skating...brand new man crush alert!! ding ding!