Thread: 3rd goalie dilema.

Dobber Sports Star

Default 3rd goalie dilema.

Ok boys, I know I'm spending way too much time and effort on this issue so I'd like to just put it to rest. Since I can't make my freaking mind I'm hoping for the Nation to guide me. I'm pretty happy with my starters in Rinne and Luongo, but I need to carry a backup and would prefer to carry 1 or 2 who will give the most quality starts. I have the combo of Backstrom and Kuemper, but I'm concerned Harding could complicate things when he returns. Here's a list of what available...

Harding - Can he return to last years form and become the starter
    Khudobin - They love Ward, starts might not come...but there's upside
    Ward - Will probably be the starter out of the gate, but competition and a bad team are an issue
    Gibson - Good #'s on a good team w/ lots of Sunday games. Does he split starts or get enough to be worthy
    Reimer - Probably not stealing the starting job from Bernier

I'm almost tempted to just drop the Minnesota tandem and grab Gibson, hoping for a timeshare. Thus, opening a roster spot and giving me room to add another forward. Help me out fellas, I don't know why I'm overcomplicating this.

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Suzuki
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg,
    Konecny(L/R)
    R-Hyman(L/R), Svechnikov(L/R), P. Kane
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi,
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: 3rd goalie dilema.

As your #4 Goalie, I'd take a shot with Gibson, even though I believe Andersen is the guy they are going with. If Gibson is sent to the minors, then pick up Khudobin. Harding could complicate things, but meh, I don't think it's worth it. Drop Backstrom once we find out if Kuemper is the #1A. I have heard that Backstrom is doing alright in camp (as is Kuemper), which may delay the outright handing of the job to Kuemper.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Icon

My top 2 picks from that list would be Gibson and Khudobin - if those are your #3-4 I think you're in good shape.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Nichushkin, Batherson, Sharangovich
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei, Forsling
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, But, G.Perreault, Morrow, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Ninja

If I read that right, he's got Rinne, Luongo, Kuemper and then Backstrom as his fourth G. I'd be comfortable keeping Kuemper as your #3 because I think he's going to separate himself shortly after the season begins.

Dobber Sports Wizard

For a #4, go with Gibson or Khudobin. Wait until the goalie battle is decided in Minnesota, and drop whichever goalie loses. Gibson or Kuhdobin may not give you a ton of wins, but their counting stats will be good. I'd prefer Khudo over Gibson as it's more likely he gets more starts or even takes over the #1 role, but either one would help you.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Superstar

For your #4 goalie I would go with Gibson as well. See how things play out in Minne.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Star

I agree, that it might well become some combination of Rinne, Luongo, Kuemper and one of Gibson or Khudobin, but I'm not sure how long either will remain FA's. I think there's a few GM's waiting to see how camp goes as well, before making a move. I was hoping to be preemptive.

PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    2019*, 2023

Konecny(L/R)
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi,
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Star

OK, so after some debate, I decided to just drop Backstrom and grabbed Gibson back. The clincher was reading about the 13 B2B games and lots of games on off days the Anaheim plays. This will at least maximize the # of games I can potentially get from Gibson. Done....stop overthinking dammit!!!!!!

PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    2019*, 2023

Konecny(L/R)
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi,
    IR
    -Demko