Thread: Pro-line Do's and Dont's...

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Pro-line Do's and Dont's...

I bet on hockey on pro-line maybe 5-10 times per hockey season but win maybe once per season and I can't figure out what I am doing wrong...it is a maximum of 6 bets so sometimes I do 6 picks or 4 picks etc...when I bet 6 I get 3-5 right, if I bet 4 I get 3 right, etc...I hardly do over/under mostly just win or lose. Does anyone have a specific strategy that they use that is actually profitable?

I usually bet an average of $5 per ticket but would like to do less higher odds and bet $10-$20 with 3-4 picks that should actually win....

Any advice is welcome, unless it is "don't bet pro-line"!

Cheers,

Ben

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: Pro-line Do's and Dont's...

hahaha dont bet pro-line .... but seriously you can get waaaay better odds through online sites. Like the same odds you are getting on a 4 game parlay you can get on a 3 game parlay .... that is a big difference. Also remember Pro-line's winning ticket value includes your outlay which makes the odds seem better than they are.

If you are dead-set on betting pro-line I would stick to 3 game tickets and as you said up your outlay to $10-$20. I find hockey is one of the hardest sports to bet on as any given night any team can win. Power plays can change the game. I found that betting on rested home teams usually ups your odds. Another thing I used to pay attention to was this; often times a team's first home game after a long road trip can be a good time to take the road underdog. The players are finally back at home but they usually have their personal lives and family to deal with as well as other things and it can lead to a lack of focus the first game back at home.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

To add to this I would like to start selecting the over and under in addition to the winner to help my options and have looked into all sorts of ways to include this. I have been trying to come up with ways to see if there is any correlation between days of the week that certain teams generally score more goals, home or away scoring consistancies, etc...It is alot of info to chew...I have found that the one time I do remember winning I picked 4 opening night NHL home winners and 2 NFL games wins with decent odds (I don't follow NFL at all so I just basically tossed a coin and the odds locked good to me) and I actually won. But not many times since.

Dobber Sports Guru

Also below is a good site for identifying which game presents better value to the proline player. I used to use it all the time back when I used to gamble a lot.

http://www.prolineplayer.com/faq.php

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    hahaha dont bet pro-line .... but seriously you can get waaaay better odds through online sites. Like the same odds you are getting on a 4 game parlay you can get on a 3 game parlay .... that is a big difference. Also remember Pro-line's winning ticket value includes your outlay which makes the odds seem better than they are.

If you are dead-set on betting pro-line I would stick to 3 game tickets and as you said up your outlay to $10-$20. I find hockey is one of the hardest sports to bet on as any given night any team can win. Power plays can change the game. I found that betting on rested home teams usually ups your odds. Another thing I used to pay attention to was this; often times a team's first home game after a long road trip can be a good time to take the road underdog. The players are finally back at home but they usually have their personal lives and family to deal with as well as other things and it can lead to a lack of focus the first game back at home.
    Thanks for the reply...I have used sites like sportinteraction and a couple of other ones...I have had some success. I find it too easy to get carried away going for a huge payday and start making maximum 10 pick bets for low $$ but a huge return and start picking things I know nothing about like NFL, Tennis, etc...too easy to flush the money away. I don't have much self control hahaha.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by burnsy00 View Post
    Thanks for the reply...I have used sites like sportinteraction and a couple of other ones...I have had some success. I find it too easy to get carried away going for a huge payday and start making maximum 10 pick bets for low $$ but a huge return and start picking things I know nothing about like NFL, Tennis, etc...too easy to flush the money away. I don't have much self control hahaha.
    Seriously stick to 3-game parlays/tickets maximum. The odds of getting more games than that correct are very low.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Burnsy - read down to the line where this guy says: "You'd be a fool to bet on proline." http://www.affiliatebible.com/sports...ps-website.php

Administrator

I gave up on Proline a long time ago. I used to bet it in college as a way to put something on the line and get myself to watch games between the Predators and Blue Jackets, stuff like that but quickly learned that the odds simply weren't strong enough and I wasn't good enough to make a profit. So I'd advocate steering clear.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Deity

I never played pro-line for hockey but I used to do NFL all the time. I wasn't very good at it and gave it up. Stupid pro-line!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Banned

Yes, don't bet pro-line (at least consistently I mean). Odds are stacked against you. I do like the Point Spread however, as that is better than having to always win by 4 on pro-line. Nothing wrong with buying a $2-$10 ticket every now and then.

If you do, for hockey, I always found the Leafs' opponent to always be undervalued.

I use sportsineraction as well and I find it's awesome. Just do't go overboard, that's the key. And don't bet parlays. I usually only make bets that I am in love with, and try to stay away from hockey or baseball betting.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for the replies guys...much appreciated.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Just wanted to add that pro-line odds suck so bad because the Government in your province has a monopoly on the gambling and can give terrible odds and still get tons of action. If you are looking to bet even once a week for anything more than $5/ticket you would be better served setting up a bodog account and getting much better odds for the exact same predictions.

pro-line is a convenience purchase, which is fine if you're only betting very low amounts. If you want to make larger bets you might as well get the best "price (in odds) you can, which is on the internet. Finally, don't get sucked into the idea that you can consistently make any amount of money on sports betting. It's extremely difficult to do, even with good odds its designed for players to lose.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Padawan

Hey there,
    I quit betting on pro line a long time ago. Back when you only had win, lose or tie. On a minimum 3 game ticket, with all the variables. You had a 1 in 27 chance of winning, if my math was right, and it am no mathelete.
    Guys are right use a site. Bodog is good..
    As well, I had a friend, that said he was going to buy his girl friend her engagement ring with pro line winnings????
    And he is still single.
    There is no system, if there was, we'd all be rich.
    LOL
    But Good Luck though
    16 team league, Weekly changes
    32 Players play 20, 2 Goalies, 6 Def, 12 Fwd
    2*G,1*a,+/-*.5,.2* pim
    4*W,-1*L,1*OTL,5*SO
    17 Keepers
    Keepers marked with*
    auto protect under 40 Games
    Goal
    Vejmelka, Markstrom, Forsberg, Alnefelt,
    Ukko-Pekka Luukkoonen
    Defence
    Slavin, Pietrangelo, Girard, Hague, Joseph,
    Matheson, Brannstrom, Jokiharju, Parayko
    Forward
    Gaudreau*, Tuch, Garland, Mangiapane, L’Hereux
    Aho*, McCann, Necas, Stephenson, Zacha,
    Marchessault*, Stone, Reilly Smith, Hall,
    Giroux, Landeskog, Rodrigues, Reilly Smith, Yamamoto

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    If you do, for hockey, I always found the Leafs' opponent to always be undervalued.
    Funny and true.

Dobber Sports Star

We used to buy these when a bunch of us were sitting around drinking and watching all the games. Added a fun element to it for $5 each, and you have little tickets to rip up in anger like at the track. Not a valid way to try to make any money gambling though. Horrid odds.

The most success I've seen came from betting ties. Take a saturday night, pick 3 ties, and hope all 3 go to shootout. It's rare, but if you only hit 1 in 100 you're doing okay. One guy used to hit them pretty regularly.