Thread: Some feedback on my draft

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Some feedback on my draft

This is for the league in my sig. We had our draft the other week. I'm pretty happy with how I went, but as always, you want the feedback haha. This year our league had a new rule come in to play, which I was initially against, but after the draft I think it's very interesting. Basically if you had a UFA on your roster and he didn't resign with the club who held his rights previously to July 1, he was taken off your list and put back into the draft pool. I didn't fare too badly this offseason as I only lost Dan Boyle, but a couple of teams lost a few. It made for an interesting draft as you could choose from UFA's, 2014 prospects and anyone else who hadn't been drafted previously.

Unfortunately I didn't have very many picks early on and didn't have my first selection until #54. I had given up a lot of picks over the last few seasons to build the squad I have (Finished 2nd last year). My approach going into the draft was more so to try and get a couple of fringe players who may chip in a few points and maybe a longer term prospect or two who I can afford to sit on

Ok so my picks:
    #54 - Nikolai Kulemin
    #61 - Conner Carrick
    #184 - Kristers Gudlevskis
    #186 - Gustav Possler

I had zero intention of taking Kulemin until he was still sitting on the board a few picks before mine. I was really surprised he fell down that far, I can't afford to dress him, but I had to take somebody of that level with a pick that late. My theory is he will either serve as a decent reserve player option, or I can move him (or maybe PAP) for something during the season.
    I was eyeing off Carrick/Noreau/Murphy with this pick. I took a punt that not many people would know about Noreau so I might be able to snag him with my real late picks (which didn't pan out lol) so I had an option of the two kids. Both are in average spots due to offensive depth in their teams, but I took a stab on Carrick.
    I was planning on taking two forward prospects with these last two picks, but saw Gudlevskis was still available so I went with him even though I already have Varly and Allen. I really think this pick could pay some good dividends for me down the line.
    Possler is a real wait and see kind of pick. Was showing good signs before he got hurt, so will be nice if he pans out, but it's not really going to burn me if he doesn't. I figure at worst, he's an upgrade on Sarault on my farm

So yeah, that's my draft. Feel free to pick at it lol. Oh I also put the first 3 rounds up in the results thread if you want to have a look and see who was going in what spots with the UFA ruling in effect
    16 Team, 50 Player Capped ($75m) Keeper (Overall Fantasy Points). 12F, 6D, 1G Active

Scoring - G, A, PPG/A, +/-, SHG/A, W, SO, (GA bonus's)

F - T. Johnson, Galchenyuk, Nyquist, A. Lee, Radulov, Nelson, Neal, Sharp, Atkinson, Ribeiro, Ryan, Staal, (Donskoi, Eller, Colbourne, Vermette, Rodin)
    D - Burns, Klingberg, Gohstisbehere, Weber, Parayko, Braun
    G - Allen (Luongo)

Farm
    F - Mantha, Wilson, Fast, Tolchinsky, Bracco, Merkley, Malgin, Novak, N. Paul, K. Roy, Maroon, Laughton, Lindberg
    D - DeAngelo, Sproul, Clendening, Trouba, Weircioch

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Some feedback on my draft

Given the late pick, I think Kulemin was a decent pick up. Good on you.

Carrick makes for a decent 6th d-man on your squad (at least better than your 7th and 8th guys). The other two aren't going to contribute a whole lot this year barring some injury, but what other options did you have by that point?

Pretty good job given the circumstances.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy