Thread: Brooke Henderson- World No. 1 Female Amateur Golfer

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Brooke Henderson- World No. 1 Female Amateur Golfer

Just wanted to send out a congrats to Brooke Henderson, who I am lucky enough to know. She is now the no. 1 ranked female amateur golfer in the world and turns 17 today. She capped off a pretty good week as she took away the individual title at the Women's World Amateur Team Championship in Japan while setting a new low-score record.

She's from a small town near Ottawa and comes from a great family. Her star is rising very quickly.

Her older sister Brittany, is also a very good golfer who attended US College on a golf scholarship and often caddies for Brooke when not competing against her.

BTW, Brooke is also a very good goalie but I have a feeling her hockey playing days may be over as she concentrates on golf.

Globe and Mail- Brooke Henderson got quite the birthday gift today on her birthday. The now 17-year-old golfing sensation from Smiths Falls, Ont. is the new No. 1 ranked female amateur in the world according to the latest edition of the World Amateur Golf Rankings.

Henderson is the first Canadian female to hold the No. 1 world ranking.

Henderson claimed top amateur honours at the U.S. Women’s Open and was runner-up at the U.S. Women’s Amateur Championship last month. In fact, she has made the cut in all four LPGA Tour events she has competed in this season, which has led to speculation about her professional ambitions. While she has verbally committed to play at the University of Florida in 2015, former Globe and Mail golf columnist Lorne Rubenstein reported back in July that Henderson petitioned the LPGA for a waiver to its minimum age requirement to join the Tour. While that request was denied, it does not preclude her from making subsequent bids for additional sponsor exemptions.

Henderson started 2014 as the No. 6 ranked amateur in the world and her rise up the rankings began back in January with wins at the Junior Orange Bowl and the South Atlantic Ladies Amateur – two very prestigious amateur events. Her successful summer run included victories at the Scott Robertson Memorial, Women’s Porter Cup, the Ontario Women’s Amateur Championship and the PGA Women’s Championship of Canada where she set a new scoring record.

Henderson, currently the highest ranked female among professional golfers in Canada, is expected to be one of two players Canada sends to Brazil when golf makes its return at the Summer Olympics in 2016.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Brooke Henderson- World No. 1 Female Amateur Golfer

Damn! Another 17 year old who is better at everything than I am.

Great to see a Canadian golfer who may one day be a number one pro. I wish her well.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Awesome story!
    Feels like Canada hasn't had a top tier golfer since Mike Weir.

Silly side story: I live in Atlanta now (grew up in Ontario). Anyways, I occasionally talk about Mike Weir when golf comes up because... well... that's Canada's best tie to golfing.
    Anyways, my buddy in Augusta (awesome, yes, I know) has a real southern-tounged mother and they just don't say Mike with a hard I. The I in Mike sounds a little bit like... "ah".
    So Mike Weir ends up sounds like Mah-Kweer.
    We enjoy trying to make her say that name.
    It's like a drinking game.

Thanks for link!
    Go Brooke Go!

Dobber Sports Stud

Yes she is an amazing story. She's a fantastic golfer ( and above-average goalie ) but an even better person. It is so nice to have a positive story and role-model to cheer for with so much negativity in the sports world.

She is not only making her hometown proud, but now her home country on the international stage. Seems strange to be sharing our little Brooke with the world now.

It's been fun to follow her career from local high-school athlete to now No. 1 in the world in such a short time.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

O'CANADA.. Awesome news!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Star

As a golfer myself, I find this pretty awesome!

I wish her the best going forward in her career.

Dobber Sports Pro

Great to have a Canadian making great strides in the game.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...