Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Coffee

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Coffee

The world of Coffee drinking is a funny one. I guess it's like anything else in that it's a hobby that people can enjoy and spend time with. I drink whatever is on sale and I can stick in my drip machine at home. It costs next to nothing to make and to me almost all the home brands taste basically the same. My initial reaction to the coffee scene is the same as the wine scene - total scam in that people can't tell the difference between the good stuff and the fancy stuff when when they are actually put to the test, yet they will splurge stupid money on expensive wines 'thinking' they are getting something that tastes better.

I'm not sure if coffee is the same as wine in that regards, but I wouldn't be surprised.

At the end of the day though if it's a hobby you enjoy then have at it!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    The world of Coffee drinking is a funny one. I guess it's like anything else in that it's a hobby that people can enjoy and spend time with. I drink whatever is on sale and I can stick in my drip machine at home. It costs next to nothing to make and to me almost all the home brands taste basically the same. My initial reaction to the coffee scene is the same as the wine scene - total scam in that people can't tell the difference between the good stuff and the fancy stuff when when they are actually put to the test, yet they will splurge stupid money on expensive wines 'thinking' they are getting something that tastes better.

I'm not sure if coffee is the same as wine in that regards, but I wouldn't be surprised.

People say that about different cola's too. I always laugh when they say pepsi and coca cola tastes the same. I can definitely taste the difference between the premium: Coca Cola, the wanna be: Pepsi, and the cheap shit: all other brands and no names.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    People say that about different cola's too. I always laugh when they say pepsi and coca cola tastes the same. I can definitely taste the difference between the premium: Coca Cola, the wanna be: Pepsi, and the cheap shit: all other brands and no names.
    I'm fairly certain (though I'd have to go look into it again) that under double-blind study conditions most people really can't tell the difference between these two products.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    As sad as this sounds, I have been drinking instant coffee for so long it's all I normally drink, at least at home.

We have a percolator at work so I drink that coffee as well, but its pretty much Maxwell House or whatevers on sale at Costco.

I am not a fussy coffee drinker by any means, but I drink my fair share of it.
    I used to think the same thing.

Well, not quite to the point of drinking instant coffee but I thought that all coffee is more or less the same. Then I went to Europe, specifically Italy where they take their coffee very seriously and my eyes were opened. I had no idea coffee could be that delicious. Now I'm ruined forever and can't drink the normal crap. The solution for me was to stop drinking 3-4 cups a day and stick to one perfect cup of espresso or cappuccino in the morning and drink coke in the day if I need a shot of caffeine

The Great One

best coffee I've ever had was Blue Mountain from Jamaica...I also really enjoy Kona coffee from Hawaii. I think there is something about the volcanic soil that gives those coffees a real special flavor.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    best coffee I've ever had was Blue Mountain from Jamaica...I also really enjoy Kona coffee from Hawaii. I think there is something about the volcanic soil that gives those coffees a real special flavor.
    I agree, I've tried both those as well and they really are exceptional. The preparation (from the roasting to the grinding to the actual making of the coffee) is equally as important. We checked out this cool presentation in Italy where the barista explained the science behind the espresso machine, the steam is at a very specific temperature that leaches out all the aromatic and flavorful compounds without the bitter ones. it was really interesting.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'm fairly certain (though I'd have to go look into it again) that under double-blind study conditions most people really can't tell the difference between these two products.
    I dunno about the literature but all I know is I can DEFINITELY tell the difference between the two. I find they have very distinct tastes.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    I dunno about the literature but all I know is I can DEFINITELY tell the difference between the two. I find they have very distinct tastes.
    I can't speak to your specific case, because maybe you fall into the very small number of people who can actually tell the difference, but don't underestimate the power of marketing and the brain playing tricks.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    This

Coke and Pepsi have a very distinct taste.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    This

Coke and Pepsi have a very distinct taste.
    Okay, so you guys are going to force me to go look into the research on this. I am almost positive that despite what you think about the distinct taste, that the reality is people can't tell the difference and most of the taste difference comes from the brain being tricked by brand marketing.

However.

I could be completely wrong on this. So time to go see what I can find out.

Banned

I'll take that challenge.

pepsi tastes a lot more like sugar. VERY different tastes

And I assume with coffee's it should be similar (trying to stay on topic )

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vanek! at the Disco View Post
    I used to think the same thing.

Well, not quite to the point of drinking instant coffee but I thought that all coffee is more or less the same. Then I went to Europe, specifically Italy where they take their coffee very seriously and my eyes were opened. I had no idea coffee could be that delicious. Now I'm ruined forever and can't drink the normal crap. The solution for me was to stop drinking 3-4 cups a day and stick to one perfect cup of espresso or cappuccino in the morning and drink coke in the day if I need a shot of caffeine

this is also the reason you don't see mass coffeeshops such as starbucks on every corner like you do in North America. In Italy as a matter of fact there is not 1 single starbucks

Banned

Okay, so you guys are going to force me to go look into the research on this. I am almost positive that despite what you think about the distinct taste, that the reality is people can't tell the difference and most of the taste difference comes from the brain being tricked by brand marketing.

However.

I could be completely wrong on this. So time to go see what I can find out.

well let's be honest. What else were you gonna go do today! lol

Dobber Sports Sage

My wife calls me a coffee whore. Any time, any place, any way.

I started drinking coffee back when I worked at an upscale restaurant back in the 90s. I was a busboy and it gave me a rush of energy. I soon started drinking coffee at home in the mornings since I was in college and loved to study early. I haven't gone a day without coffee since some time in the 90s when I had a horrendous case of the flu. I start getting a horrible headache by noon if I am not drinking coffee.

For me my coffee rankings are #1 McDonald's #2 Dunkin Donuts and #3 Starbucks

Gimme my coffee black, hot, and strong. None of this iced coffee stuff! Back when I used to smoke, not many things were better than having that first cup of coffee and a smoke in the morning.

My home brewing is rather basic- Folgers Black Silk (half pot- 4 scoops of coffee) I drink so much of it that it would rather expensive to drink more premium blends.

If I had to pick coffee or alcohol the rest of my life- it's a no-brainer. Coffee
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Initiate

There is a huge difference in "expensive" coffee compared to the Maxwell House/Timmy's blend etc. Good coffee has actual flavour notes in it from the soil its grown in and the processing used to dry the bean. usually the ones down the organic aisle at the supermarket have a pretty decent flavour and on sale are about $10-12 a lb. One of my favorite commercial brands is Kicking Horse.
    Evgeni from the Bloc
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 10
    Daily Starts: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G

G,A,+/-,PPP, SHP, SOG, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Tavares, Malkin, Johansen, Couture
    LW: Schenn (C), Kreider, Skinner, Kane
    RW: [B]Kucherov, Seguin (C), Wheeler, REinhart (C), Ehlers (LW)
    D: Byfuglien, Provorov, Giordano, de Haan, Phaneuf
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Saros

2017 Picks: 1,2,3,5,6,6,7,8,9,10,11