Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Century Club (beer shots)

I...am your father.

Default The Century Club (beer shots)

Just reminded of this in another post, thought I'd start a new one

Anyone made it?

I remember at my drinking peak, in that age 20-25 era. It was New Years Eve and I was 23...so 1997. Myself and six guys gave it a try. It was so easy. For about 10 shots (in 10 minutes). That's a full beer.

The next 20 or so were okay, but had to get reminded to take a shot. The next 10, the minutes started rolling by way too quickly "What? A minute is up already?". Shots 40 to 50, we had our first dropout. Shots 50-60, we've reached an hour with three guys out.

Two made it to 70 - myself and another guy. I dropped out at 74 - nearly 7.5 beers in an hour and fifteen minutes.

I'm not what you call a "puker". I could count on one hand the amount of times drinking caused me to puke. But I did that night. I did that night.

To the beer drinker, this game sounds easy. And 10 minutes into the game, you are convinced that this is a piece of cake.

But it's not a piece of cake, my friends. Take it from me.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: The Century Club (beer shots)

Once, never felt so full in my life.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Stud

Depends on the beer and how big of a problem you got, but unfortunately for some 10 beers in and hour and forty mins is just a weekend activity instead of the usual 12 pack at home on a weeknight in 3 hours time. Please don't try this anyone! If your a casual drinker it will not go well for you and if this sounds amateur and like something you know you already do but just don't keep track, then you need to stop drinking and get help.
    16 Team Dynasty Weekly H2H Fantrax (starters in bold)

G A P +/- PIM SOG PPP H+B FOW --- W SV SV% GAA SO

(C) Krejci, Spezza, Koivo, Statsny Faksa
    (LW) Zetterberg, Duclair, Ehlers, M Domi Belesky, M Martin
    (RW) Pastrnak, Oshie, Larkin, Toffoli S Reinhart, Brouwer
    (D) J Honka, Seabrook, Goligoski, D DeKeyser, Vatanen, Parayko L Schenn, S Johns
    (G) Ward, Lack

Prospects- W Nylander, C Dvorak, I Barbashev, C White, T Rattie, M Dal Colle, A Mantha, R Barber, L Crouse, M Barzal, C Keller, L Brown, C Fischer, B Point, J Forsbacka-Karlsson

Dobber Sports Expert

I'd say the carbonation is what makes it difficult..... talk about bloating!
    73M Cap, Partial Keeper: 4F(ANY) 2D, 2G, Year : H2H Daily 2C/2LW/2RW/1F/4D/2G, 16 Teams

Pro

C: Eichel Seguin
    LW: Ovechkin, Lee
    RW: Marner, Palmieri Buchnevich, Simmonds
    D: Karlsson Byfuglien, Petry, Muzzin
    G: Rask, Murray Jarry

Farm (Max 200 GP):
    C. White, Vrana, Hischier, Sikura, DeSmith

Stat Categories

Skaters
    FOW(.1) G(4) A(3) PPG(1.5) PPA(1) SHG(3) SHA(2) GWG(1) SOG(.2) +-(1) PIMS(.1) BLK(.2) HIT(.2)
    Goalies
    W(6) L(-1) SHO(5) SV(0.1) GA(-0.2) GAA(Range of -1 to 8) SV%(Range of -1 to 8)
    Twitter:@RogerWi1co

I just learned about this in the post Pengwin made!

I have no idea how long I could go for.
    Would depend on the type of beer and the temperature (I feel like a warm one on shot 40 or 50 would make me puke)!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I remember witnessing this in our College residence. Most of the guys felt it would be TOO EASY... it was around 50 or so that they started to back out.
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Dobber Sports Master

Like Dobber, I made the attempt back in my university days. Notice the word "attempt".

I want to say I made it into the 60's, but I can't be sure. At the very lest it was in the fifties. I remember it went sideways when one of the guys puked on the table we were sitting at. It killed the momentum.

I don't think I would get past 20 shots if I played that game today.

Youth is wasted on the young!

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Star

Success in my university days, twice. Dismal failure (early 50s?) at a buddy's stag a year ago.

Its not the booze. Its the foam or the pee that gets you.

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    Success in my university days, twice. Dismal failure (early 50s?) at a buddy's stag a year ago.

Its not the booze. Its the foam or the pee that gets you.
    I read that peeing or puking disqualifies you - is this true?

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by dooley89 View Post
    I read that peeing or puking disqualifies you - is this true?
    Yes to puking, but you can pee

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

I think to get through this you need several factors

1. A regular heavy beer drinker. I was at the time - probably three nights a week, with 15 beers being one of them. That's why college is where it works the most for people.
    2. It helps if you're bigger. I don't think many 150 pounders could do it. I was 190 pounds at the time, so - check
    3. Plan ahead. Eat a couple hours beforehand but don't overeat. Drink milk, eat something with bread like a burger. I didn't do this.
    4. Don't drink beforehand. I didn't do this either - I had three beers before we started. The game was not planned in advance

Dobber Sports Master

When buddy puked on our table, we scattered like leaves in a windstorm, and we disqualified ourselves. It sucked, but nobody put up much of a fight to continue.

F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I gave it a go twice while at University (Waterloo 1996-2001).
    I think I got into the 50s my first go, 60s my second go.
    Then in 2007, me & 5-6 buddies (my mix of Canadian & Northern Amercian hockey teammates) did it for my bachelor party.
    I got into the 70s... which was a huge acheivement for me.

Shot of beer (1oz) per minute, which makes it a beer every 12min.
    And to be part of the Century Club, that's 8.5 beers in 1hr 40min (100 shots of beer in 100min).

Back when I started University, Civil Engineers & drinking went hand it hand.
    So much so that "Century Club" was part of a trifecta of drinking games... all that put the pedestrian "beer pong" to shame.

The most common one performed at all engineering events was called "Boat Racing"... which was a team of 5 people that line-up along a table.
    Another team of 5 is lined up at the other side of the table.
    Full 12oz beer per person, down... and then back.
    Each teammate can only start their beer once the previous teammate empties and puts the glass bottom down onto the table.
    Each team's "anchor" has to pound two in a row.
    Now that... was some impressive drinking.
    I did that at two events, but we had much better drinkers in our class.
    That was the fabled "class" drinking pride.

The nastiest drinking game I've ever seen is called "Case race"... which is pure ridiculousless ness that I only witnesses once, during frosh week. (and we were all 19!)
    A team of 5 people, 4 carriers + "driver", have to "drive" a course, maybe 200m or 300m. They get to a case of beer (24!) and have to pound it and them come back.
    Oh... that was just dirty.
    I'm not sure anybody took part in organizing that on their own. A one and done spectacular.

Best fun of "drinking games", I've ever had though... is playing a game called "3-Man", which is just a roll-two-dice game, but THE best cottage/lake or casual house party game.
    One person is the "Three-Man" and any time anybody rolls a 3 or multiple of 3, that person drinks. They also wear a funny hat.
    There's also rules when rolling a 5 or 7 or snake eyes (1-1) or something else.
    Especially making up rules like "No swearing", "No namecalling"... makes it really fun.
    Anybody that rolls a 1-2 for a "3", becomes the new "3-Man", has to wear the hat, and does a LOT of drinking for a short period of time. SO FUN!
    I yearn to play that game with old college buddies - except they are now so, so far away.

But yes... back to "Century Club".
    1. Lots of bread, pre-event (to soak).
    2. Take your shot on the minute, if you miss it... making up two can make you feel funny quickly.
    3. Peeing is OK, but you have to go and come back for the next shot - which is often humourous. (At one time, there was a guy that forget to... uh, tuck it back in.) LOL.

Good memories.
    70-something for me...

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Did it a long time ago and didn't find it too hard outside of feeling incredibly gassy/bloated towards the end of it. Wasn't pleasant!

Dobber Sports Master

Short but interesting drinking game is "Roxanne". You and as many other people as dare, take a shot of whatever they want while listening to The Police sing there classic song of the same name. You take a drink every time Sting says the name Roxanne. You'd be surprised how many times he says it so be prepared to refill your glass plenty of times. Give it a listen:

I got messed up quickly listening to that damn song.