Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How would you rank the recently drafted goalies?

Administrator

Default Re: How would you rank the recently drafted goalies?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed. View Post
    Depends...In some leagues it's best to sit on them for a year or two, let them build some hype, and then use them as trade bait.
    That was actually the point I was making.

Gibson for example, went from an okay asset to "Hell no. I'm not trading the greatest up-and-coming future all-star hall of fame goalie for your crappy Wheeler" within a span of two years. Gillies, while not quite on the level of stupidity that Gibson has attained, would probably net you three times what he would have in his draft year, if not more. Vasilevski too.
    Gibson is the exception, not the norm. And even in his case it took three years post-draft to get to where he is today. That is still a long time to wait and he's one of the fast risers. Also, he is not a finished product yet. Can't give him credit for games that he has not played yet.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Superstar

Drafting goalies is always a crap shoot. Takes a few years to develop before you know what you have, then it depends on what organization he is in.
    Just hope one that you pick is the one that develops. Hold and wait.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Ed. View Post
    Depends...In some leagues it's best to sit on them for a year or two, let them build some hype, and then use them as trade bait. Gibson for example, went from an okay asset to "Hell no. I'm not trading the greatest up-and-coming future all-star hall of fame goalie for your crappy Wheeler" within a span of two years. Gillies, while not quite on the level of stupidity that Gibson has attained, would probably net you three times what he would have in his draft year, if not more. Vasilevski too.
    While this is a great strategy, I'm in a sim league where we have to negociate our players' contracts (and sometimes the simulator decides that a players wants to test free agency, so you lose him even if you try to overpay). We have a farm team and a prospects "reserve", so it's a good idea to have a couple of promising young goalies in the system. Later this summer, I'll have to negociate Bishop's contract and I've already got Craig Anderson at 6M for next season, so it's safe to say I'm losing a goalie before next season (my backup will probably be Carter Hutton... remember, Sim league so I don't have to start him all that much!), either because I resign Bishop and trade Anderson or because I'm unable to resign him.

I already have a few promising young goalies in my prospects in Oscar Dansk, Matt Murray and Scott Wedgewood, but seeing as how I read that this seems like a good draft for goalies I thought that maybe I would grab a few in our draft, hence the question.
    On a fantasy hockey break.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Nights View Post
    One think people forget when they mention the whole organizational chart in terms of goalies is that more often then not, in the time these goalies take to mature (usually 2 to 5 years), those teams also make trades, sign guys, and sometimes even the prospect himself changes teams. Unless the talent is phenomenal like a Price (or maybe similarly strong talents who have not proven themselves yet in the likes of Gibson and Vasilevsky), at which point - again - the talent is going to get this guy a starting position no matter how he got into the league.

It's nice information to keep in the back of your head, yes. But unless he's one of those guys who is 2 years away, and his team is clearly going to move on from his current goalie in that amount of time (ala Anaheim type situation from this past year, where the timing was ripe for Hiller and Fasth to move on for Gibson and Andersen), then usually it's the goalie and his talent level himself that will justify whether he'll be around or not. A guy like Bernier was behind Quick and then was moved to a great spot, for example.

So go for talent unless there is a pair of similar goalies and then one organisational situation that screams "succession plan", at which point you can nudge that arrow in his favor. Plus, there is that whole "most goalies are difficult to project at 18".
    EXACTLY!! Nice post

Dobber Sports Padawan

And of course the next questions comes - how high do you draft them? Where would you think about drafting the current crop?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by RangerFan View Post
    And of course the next questions comes - how high do you draft them? Where would you think about drafting the current crop?
    This I'd where I like to look back at past drafts. Where was Fucale taken? Subban? Gibson? Is it always the same people taking goalies early? Does the first goalie selected lead to a run on goalies?
    Ideally I'd prefer not to touch a goalie within the first 20-25 picks, but if I am in a league where goalies go top-10, and two 65-point forwards wouldn't be enough to acquire Pavelec via trade, I'm going to at least consider grabbing one early.