Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Changes in Washington

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: Changes in Washington

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    and it should be up to the coach or the GM to get the team to win a Stanley Cup not to make sure Alex Ovechkin gets 120 points
    I guess I would just say I'm not sure these are completely exclusive things. Getting your best players to play like they're elite should give your team the best chance to succeed in the playoffs. I think most people believe that getting Ovechkin playing at a great level gives WAS the best chance to win a CUP.

I understand what you're saying and I agree AO's stats shouldn't be the primary concern, but for 10 million dollars he shouldn't be utilized as a checking F either [although his +/- does need some drastic attention...he can't suck defensively either].
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by andrewklassen View Post
    I guess I would just say I'm not sure these are completely exclusive things. Getting your best players to play like they're elite should give your team the best chance to succeed in the playoffs. I think most people believe that getting Ovechkin playing at a great level gives WAS the best chance to win a CUP.

I understand what you're saying and I agree AO's stats shouldn't be the primary concern, but for 10 million dollars he shouldn't be utilized as a checking F either [although his +/- does need some drastic attention...he can't suck defensively either].
    regular season production just doesn't guarantee post season success for a team

Ovechkin's best season ppg wise they only lasted a single round

one of their second round finishes happened to be his 2nd best ppg season and the other two second round finishes were his worst and 3rd worst regular seasons

regular season success of a player doesn't guarantee post season success of a team, and regular season struggle of a player doesn't guarantee the worst post season results

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

The Great One

Another thread where lucifer wants attention.

We get it.

Dobber Sports Guru

This will be the fourth coach in Washington the last four years. This type of transition is why some players get frustrated with an organization and want to go somewhere with more stability.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Star

they should go back to run and gun and unleash mike green (or at least whats left of him if hes at least 75% of the old mike green) and get alzner/carlson to do the dirty work like before.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Another thread where lucifer wants attention.

We get it.
    this has nothing to do with attention, this has to do with the alarming trend around here where expectations and projections aren't even close to being grounded in reality but are rather prided on being as ridiculous as they possibly can be

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Banned

We all know who the problem is in Washington. Let's be real.

Dobber Sports Stud

I think we all know what the problem is in Washington. It's not the coach, or the GM. And it won't be the next coach or GM.
    It's no secret that Washington hasn't advanced past the second round in over 10 years, and the Russians haven't won an Olympic medal in the past 10 years either.
    Edit: wow Ev. We shared a moment there.

The Great One

I just posted the official DobberHockey analysis as the lead story - enjoy and post your comments there or here.

http://hockey.dobbersports.com/index...-in-washington

Dobber Sports Padawan

once again career years are just that career years

and characterizing 1.2 or 1.3 or even 1 ppg as mediocre is laughable at best

and it should be up to the coach or the GM to get the team to win a Stanley Cup not to make sure Alex Ovechkin gets 120 points
    Did I say 1.2 points was mediocre? No. But it's not his best. All these guys want to be at their best (of course, that might not necessarily mean most points, but let's assume in this case that it is) and they're not striving for the middle or upper-middle or whatever. They want to be at the top, that's why they're playing in the best league in the world.

In your case, I think you should strive for punctuation and capitals at the beginning of sentences.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Veteran

Fingers crossed that this gives Carlson a boost and some easier minutes.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by The Guvnah View Post
    Did I say 1.2 points was mediocre? No. But it's not his best. All these guys want to be at their best (of course, that might not necessarily mean most points, but let's assume in this case that it is) and they're not striving for the middle or upper-middle or whatever. They want to be at the top, that's why they're playing in the best league in the world.

In your case, I think you should strive for punctuation and capitals at the beginning of sentences.
    you still can't return to something you did 1 time in 9 years

return to is basically a short hand way of saying return to form

i have never ever in all my years of following any sport heard anyone reference a single year in a decade long career as the bar for returning to form

i have heard averages, medians, things of that nature

never have i heard return to form reference the best season in a player's career unless that career was around 3 or 4 seasons or less

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Oates was fine, but you could tell in Season 2 that Ovechkin didn't want to play for him anymore. So he had to go.

The bar for Ovechkin should not be "return to point per game". It should be "return to 1.5 points per game"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Uh, I didn't say it was the norm. I said it's where the bar should be. Do you shoot low on many things in life?

I'm not sure what to say to this. It seems very final. Wrong. But final.

I want to apologize for not pulling out the calculator and the protractor and working out an exact number for my forum post.
    you still can't return to something you did 1 time in 9 years

return to is basically a short hand way of saying return to form

i have never ever in all my years of following any sport heard anyone reference a single year in a decade long career as the bar for returning to form

i have heard averages, medians, things of that nature

never have i heard return to form reference the best season in a player's career unless that career was around 3 or 4 seasons or less
    This position that Ovechkin can't return to 1.5 ppg is slightly flawed. Ovechkin scored on 13% of his shots this year yet the shooting percentage when he was on the ice was only 6%. Given how much Ovechkin shoots that means his linemates didba piss poor job of providing their own offence. Thus OV was a ppg player this year with little help its not a him to conclude that 1.2 is a reasonable baseline expectation, probably more like 1.25, from there it shouldn't be ridiculous to say that each Ovechkins goal should be a 1.5ppg. There's no point in setting your goals at your baseline even if your baseline is elite.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by big_dl View Post
    This position that Ovechkin can't return to 1.5 ppg is slightly flawed. Ovechkin scored on 13% of his shots this year yet the shooting percentage when he was on the ice was only 6%. Given how much Ovechkin shoots that means his linemates didba piss poor job of providing their own offence. Thus OV was a ppg player this year with little help its not a him to conclude that 1.2 is a reasonable baseline expectation, probably more like 1.25, from there it shouldn't be ridiculous to say that each Ovechkins goal should be a 1.5ppg. There's no point in setting your goals at your baseline even if your baseline is elite.
    And part of the reason the on ice shooting percentage was so terrible is because he has piss poor linemates. Fantasy owners should be grateful if OV passes the 90 pt mark again, because I don't think he will.

The Great One

Wow, Backstrom is elite.