Thread: Eddie Lack

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Eddie Lack

Cory Schneider's trade to New Jersey suddenly makes Eddie Lack from an afterthought after a season lost to surgery - to what appears to be the new backup goalie for the Vancouver Canucks.

I've always been a Lack fan - I think he has everything you'd want in a starting goalie except rebound control (which is no small thing). Having said that it's all about opportunity for goalie prospects, and it looks like Eddie Lack finally has his. Luongo's old, this seems to be an opportunity for Lack to eventually overtake him in 2 to 3 years.

Anyone have any thoughts on Lack and/or Vancouver's new goalie situation? Any material to think about would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Administrator

Lack being the backup for next year is no secret. Canucks couldn't get under cap without moving one of the goalies. He'll probably get sheltered minutes (15-20 starts) which is a good thing.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Lack is far from a lock for the back-up job even though he has a one way contract. Eriksson provides plenty of competition for the backup job. Look at his stat line in Sweden. Lack is recovering from surgery (not a small one) and probably need time to regain his form.

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Lack being the backup for next year is no secret. Canucks couldn't get under cap without moving one of the goalies. He'll probably get sheltered minutes (15-20 starts) which is a good thing.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by scimo View Post
    Lack is far from a lock for the back-up job even though he has a one way contract. Eriksson provides plenty of competition for the backup job. Look at his stat line in Sweden. Lack is recovering from surgery (not a small one) and probably need time to regain his form.
    I agree. I think Eriksson is most likely going to be in the backup role for the Canucks next season.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Stud

I can't imagine why Eriksson would agree to sign in Vancouver if he wasn't going to be given a shot to compete for the backup role. I'm guessing Vancouver is going to let them battle it out and leave Eriksson's fate in his own hands.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by 4horsemen View Post
    I can't imagine why Eriksson would agree to sign in Vancouver if he wasn't going to be given a shot to compete for the backup role. I'm guessing Vancouver is going to let them battle it out and leave Eriksson's fate in his own hands.

Exactly....
    Not THAT hairy, honest!

Dobber Sports Deity

I'm sure he will be given the chance to compete for the job but the signing was probably just as much about positional depth as it was anything else. Lack is coming off hip surgery so why not go out and sign Eriksson. If Lack isnt ready to compete for the backup job then they have some security there in Eriksson.

I still think the job is Lack's to lose. Lack was easily one of the best goalies in the AHL before his injury and was ready to step up in a back up role at that point. I can't see any reason why Vancouver wouldn't stand by him now and give him the lead role to take the back up job before anyone else.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

I am sure they told him he would be given every chance to compete, but he probably liked the Sedins and Edler were there as well.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but isn't Lack on a one way deal?
    IDHL League 28 team H2H league multicat full keeper
    Rebuilding

Cooley, Guenther, Hoglander, Lundell, Quinn, Voronkov, Stankoven, Carlsson

Hutson, Zellweger, Clarke, KA Miller, Xhekai, Malinski, Thrun

Dostal, Hofer

Beck, Bolduc, Dumais, Gaucher, Gunler, Pervalov
    Ufko, Benning, Del Mastro, Peart, Grudinin
    Zherenko

Quote Originally Posted by hawkdog View Post
    I am sure they told him he would be given every chance to compete, but he probably liked the Sedins and Edler were there as well.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but isn't Lack on a one way deal?
    Lack is on a 1 way deal this year

Quote Originally Posted by scimo View Post
    Lack had an equally impressive stat line with the Manitoba Moose, which I put more stock in as it is the North American game and rink he would face against shooters in the NHL

Lack's record in the AHL last year with the Chicago Wolves was rather pedestrian as his record was 7-4-1, he had a GAA of 3.00 and a SV% of .899. His recovery from hip surgery is very likely to still impact him at the beginning of this upcoming season.

Eriksson's record in the SEL last year saw him post 30 wins. He had a GAA of 1.67 and his SV% was .931. Eriksson also backstopped Skelleftea to the playoff championship winning 10 games, posting a GAA of 1.06 and a SV% of .952. I would think that at the very least, he's earned a shot at the backup job in Vancouver.

Quote Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
    Lack's record in the AHL last year with the Chicago Wolves was rather pedestrian as his record was 7-4-1, he had a GAA of 3.00 and a SV% of .899. His recovery from hip surgery is very likely to still impact him at the beginning of this upcoming season.

Eriksson's record in the SEL last year saw him post 30 wins. He had a GAA of 1.67 and his SV% was .931. Eriksson also backstopped Skelleftea to the playoff championship winning 10 games, posting a GAA of 1.06 and a SV% of .952. I would think that at the very least, he's earned a shot at the backup job in Vancouver.
    Lack's stats are pretty skewed last year as he only played 14 games before Vancouver shut him down to get his surgery done. I'd rather put a lot more faith with a sample size in the previous 2 years in the AHL where he played a 100 games with a GAA of less then 2.3 and a Save% of .925.

Vancouver also didn't rush him back and he's had a lot of time to recouperate his hip.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by woodrow View Post

Small correction: Eriksson started 30 games and won 21 of them.
    GO WINGS!