Thread: Saves and Holds - One category combined

The Wolverine

Default Saves and Holds - One category combined

I've noticed that Yahoo has added a Saves+Holds category this season? Does anyone use it? What are your thoughts - useful or not?

The Wolverine

Any thoughts?

Dobber Sports Wizard

I would love using this category in deep leagues like a 20-man or 12-man AL or NL. Obviously, it would devalue the closer and increase the value of premium set-up men. It might make some relievers who are not the #1 set-up men valuable since they could pick up some holds and the occasional vulture wins. You'd also have to think about streaming and whether to have pickup limits.

I'd target high K guys in a league like this and wouldn't really care if they got saves or holds. Seems like you could really dominate inexperienced and unprepared owners in a draft with this setting.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Immortal

I don't like it because set up guys might be an even more uneven position than the closer role. Holds are still a good stat to have but setup guys are always the last ones drafted in my leagues....and that's the way I like it

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think this stat would be best in a league with a LOT of RP slots. Otherwise, it seems random. If your league gets to the point where every closer is taken, and all of the premium setup men are gone too, then I think it would be best.

The Wolverine

Thanks for the feedback guys. There's a mix of abilities in the league where I'm commish and I think some of them are still getting used to holds, so I'd probably leave it. Would probably force other tweaks in the categories to keep the balance and I think we have a good setup for the moment. But helpful to know regardless.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by beLEAFing View Post
    I think this stat would be best in a league with a LOT of RP slots. Otherwise, it seems random. If your league gets to the point where every closer is taken, and all of the premium setup men are gone too, then I think it would be best.
    I like this post a lot. Good points.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Used very effeciently in a 16 team roto of mine: http://games.espn.go.com/flb/standin...&seasonId=2013

Dobber Sports Deity

Certainly an interesting stat catagory and would increase the value of a lot of RP.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."