Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: XBox One announced

Banned

Yeah TV stations and cable providers have been dying a slow death for quite sometime now, in fact they're already dead, they just refuse to acknowlege it yet. Unless you are a creator of content or own the backbone (i.e. fiber) on which it is being served you're going to be shit outta luck soon.

We haven't had cable service in over 4 years and have never been happier...Netflix, Hulu, Hockeystreams and other online sources are all we need. We have a digital HD OTA antenna so I can watch live football but other than that (and very rarely live news if something big is happening) we don't watch 'TV' as it has existed traditionally. We couldn't be happier

Dobber Sports Pro

I keep reading that their take on used games is a big negative. Not a gamer whatsoever, but sounds like a money grab.

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Off topic, but I think mobile gaming will render consoles obsolete (much like consoles did to PCs) in the not-so-distant future. The only thing keeping console relevant right now is the technology that came out with wii/kanetix.

Personally I'm already seeing it on the development side... many of my friends (who are some pretty elite programmers down in silicon valley) have been upgrading/migrating their skill sets over the past few years in preparation for this inevitable platform shift. As a programmer I'm sure you can relate... gotta go where the market demand is.
    PCs never became obsolete... They've always been the platform driving development. There was never a huge exodus of PC gamers.

As far as the Xbox One and PS4 go, they're not blowing me away. Some features are cool at a glance, but I doubt I will ever use many of them with any regularity.

The Xbox One will need an internet connection every 24 hours even if you're only playing single player games or watching blu-rays. Talk has been going back and forth tonight about how used games will require a fee to play them. If that's true then I'm definitely primarily a PC gamer in the next generation.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Consoles are already too late... this service is already in full swing by guys like Net Flix and Steam.
    What are you both talking about? You use Netflix ON the consoles.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Apparently no backwards compatibility at all. There goes my motivation to get the thing in the first two or three years. PC it is for me.
    GO WINGS!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post

The Xbox One will need an internet connection every 24 hours even if you're only playing single player games or watching blu-rays. Talk has been going back and forth tonight about how used games will require a fee to play them. If that's true then I'm definitely primarily a PC gamer in the next generation.
    that's the point where I say '**** you' and take my business elsewhere...the world is already big brother enough thank you very much, I don't need that shit while I'm trying to unwind and kill some bad guys

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    PCs never became obsolete... They've always been the platform driving development. There was never a huge exodus of PC gamers.

As far as the Xbox One and PS4 go, they're not blowing me away. Some features are cool at a glance, but I doubt I will ever use many of them with any regularity.

I also don't like the idea of having to be connected to the Internet to play games. Unfortunately, PC gaming may be heading in that direction as well. For both Diablo III and the latest Sim City games, you need to be connected to the Internet to play them, even if you are only playing the single player portion of the game. More games are heading that way.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Immortal

Off topic, but I think mobile gaming will render consoles obsolete (much like consoles did to PCs) in the not-so-distant future. The only thing keeping console relevant right now is the technology that came out with wii/kanetix.
    Get me a phone with a battery that lasts more than a day and Im in!

Dobber Sports Stud

Yeah I think it's safe to say that ISP's have gobbled up the cable industry.. It's the Roger's and Bell's that are going to be running the show in the near future. When they are buying up all the cable companies and content we see on T.V., the next question is whether they will start restricting the content you can enjoy , depending on your ISP.

In terms of the console debate, I think they will find success if they act as medium to larger things, be it mobile games or other content like Netflix. Netflix is great and is going to be interesting how they change the industry; i.e., you have content being created specific to the consumer wants: Hemlock Grove, Arrested Development, House of Cards.. (to think Blockbuster could have bought them for millions haha.. hindsight!)

Nevertheless, without consoles, how do we sit down with some beers and play NHL with our buddies?
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Genius

For me personally, I like how console work and just don't like sitting in front of a computer anymore. I love my laptop, but when I play, i want the controller in my hands as I never got around to liking any of them for PCs.

I'm with Dakkster on the Netflix is on the consoles. So you still need some device to air Netflix. So as long as it's dependent on a device, consoles will stick around as they run netflix better than anything else. I hate using netflix on my roku. Things just doesn't have the power to do it.

The only thing that I think that is keeping cable alive is places like HBO. You have to have a subscription with them via some provider to get HBO Go. As soon as they allow themselves to sell their subscriptions to just an online only via HBO Go, then cable is truly dead as they are a big player in bring about great content.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    I also don't like the idea of having to be connected to the Internet to play games. Unfortunately, PC gaming may be heading in that direction as well. For both Diablo III and the latest Sim City games, you need to be connected to the Internet to play them, even if you are only playing the single player portion of the game. More games are heading that way.

Rylant
    EA and Blizzard lost significant customers because of how badly the releases of SimCity and Diablo 3 were handled. They are quickly learning that always-on DRM is getting more and more badly regarded by pretty much everyone.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by tgraveline View Post
    For me personally, I like how console work and just don't like sitting in front of a computer anymore.
    ^I'm in this boat. (as is the majority of the gaming population)

The die-hard gamers, yes, they know different platforms with the best advantages and will create stellar PC systems.

But like politics, or fantasy hockey, or those that enjoy movies... the majority (majority) are not the die-hards. The majority are casual gamers.

The late-20 & 30-somethings that grew up with console video gaming systems [Atari, Nintendo, Sega] are going to stick with them (can't teach an old dog new tricks). The console system is also going to be the preference of choice for the married man. (And yes... us married men still like to play video games when there is free time.)

In my house, we have:
    1) Desktop computer. This is what we use for email, spreadsheets, letters. I need a chair, a desk, a physical keyboard and a decent size monitor that I can put my face really close to. I type fast and I have lots of typing to do. This... is Station #1. (Of note, I also have a woman in my house that needs this computer for exactly the same purposes.)

2) Console to TV. If I'm video gaming, I want my big screen and a cozy chair. I don't "game" on little screens like my computer monitor. I also believe one's eyes need physical distance separation from a screen. Minimum 3 ft. This... is Station #2.

3) One tablet. Kindle Fire HD 8.9". This is actually a pretty nice little tablet. Cheaper that the iPad. We bought it (over the iPad) because my 3-year old kid is at the point where we can keep her busy with finger-drag type video games and Amazon has a bunch of really, really, really solid free educational games for kids. Once the kid is asleep, we use this for small-gaming (Angry Birds, Plants vs. Zombies, etc.) and web surfing. This... is Station #3.

So... I think the console is here to stay - at least for another 10 years.
    The die-hard gamer knows there are better options... but the console will still be the system-of-choice for the majority of gamers... the casual gamers.

For me... I'm definitely saving for the PS4.

I've played about 3 Final Fantasies, the God of War series, Modern Warfare and just about ALL of the Rock Band series. The PlayStation also serves as our DVD player & Netflix streaming device. And I've learned how to pull all our photographs & music from there. I'm not sure how the XBOX stacks up - but I've developed enough trust with the PS series (own PS1,2,3) to go back for more.

Solid thread. I love that we have gaming gurus on this site!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Agreed Pengwin,

I sold my Xbox 360 about a year ago but most everyone I know is in the 'casual gamer' realm. They don't visit tech blogs or check out specs on the hardware.

They go to Wal-Mart, they buy the console and a few games, and they play it. That's it. I don't see a massive shift happening in that any time soon so Xbox/PS4 should sell just fine, even though they are not my choice for gaming.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Agreed Pengwin,

I sold my Xbox 360 about a year ago but most everyone I know is in the 'casual gamer' realm. They don't visit tech blogs or check out specs on the hardware.

They go to Wal-Mart, they buy the console and a few games, and they play it. That's it. I don't see a massive shift happening in that any time soon so Xbox/PS4 should sell just fine, even though they are not my choice for gaming.
    I do all those things, I still prefer the Xbox over PS3. I had a PS3 for awhile, and just hated the thing. It was a pain to connect to my wifi network. I had to weaken my wifi code so the PS3 could access it. Weird stuff.

I'm not a huge kinect guy, but I think the new one has some potential. I do look forward to seeing some games in action as I'm not really convinced the games will look that much better, yet. We'll have to wait till E3.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak