Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Crosby gets a 5 year extension

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re:Crosby gets a 5 year extension

lanky522 wrote:
    I don\'t really understand what the big deal is... I think it\'s a great move by the penguins. After what happened in Buffalo with Vanek, the penguins did what all other teams with premier young forwards should do: sign them to contracts before they are RFA\'s and can receive offer sheets. If washington is paying attention, they\'ll look at extending ovechkin\'s contract before he becomes an RFA this coming offseason.

In regards to the specifics of the crosby signing, I would actually have prefered a six or a seven year deal in this case.

With the normal player or even the average \"star\" player, I wouldn\'t support a long term contract, but with crosby (who has two 100 point seasons under his belt by the age of 20), a six or seven year deal for seven to nine million a year would be a steal in two years.

I didn\'t really like crosby\'s attitude in his first season (like how he complained all the time), but he\'s matured a lot in the past year. I think that he\'ll be a great player for the franchise to have over the coming seasons. (all around great player with great leadership), or a brodeur-likHe isn\'t yet an iginla-like player e player (willing to take less money to stay put), but he\'s moving in that general direction.

He\'s the most valuable guy in the league right now, and any GM would give their left foot for him... the pens locked him up in a preventative move following buffalo\'s debacle with vanek.

Good move all around.

Who cares if he took a discount or not? He\'s signed on to help this team for 5 more years. That should be reward enough for the penguins.
    I would much rather have Crosby than Iginla

Post edited by: jaymur, at: 2007/07/10 22:09

Dobber Sports Stud

I wasn\'t going to get involved in this but here is my 2 cents for what it is worth. I do not see the big deal. Crosby is the best player in the league. Briere gets a \'front loaded\' contract of 10 million per year. Do you not think that Crosby could have asked for that kind of money?

Pittsburgh were looking after their interests and hopeful that they could get Crosby for additional time at less than \'full freight\'. Crosby and Pittsburgh are thinking about the other pieces of the puzzle and do appreciate what they have going. They want to keep it together.

You know that Mario has made some promises to Sid. What a great partnership that would be. If you had that opportunity what would you do?

I do not have a problem with \'Sid the Kid\'. He is a great player. I would rather see Sid get 8.7 million than Briere get 10 million. Where is the common sense in that? Take it a step further. Vanek for $50 million or Sid for whatever he got. I am not saying that Vanek is \'chopped liver\'. I prefer Sid for less.

At the end of the day, good on Sid.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

87Flyer wrote:
    it\'s not the biggest contract in the NHL...and why do you expect the Art Ross winner and probable repeat winner, to sign for the same amount of money as a guy like Iginla?
    rather simple really. iginla is the top player on calgary, as is thornton. if the top player signs at a certain amount then ALL the players underneath him shouldn\'t by rights be able to go higher.

as for your talk about the art ross. big deal.iginla has an art ross as well as the pearson and rocket richard. hmm, most points, most goals and best player as voted by the players.

iginla is the complete package. scores, passes, hits, fights and when needed the biggest of all he leads. crosby scores. all well and good but if you lose 6-5 does it matter if he had 5 points. and when your team is down by a goal or two do you want the guy that a) lays the crushing hit or throws the gloves down or just looks you in the eye and says lets get our shit together boys or b) the guy who might get a highlight goal or pass if the coverage isn\'t to strong(think about the pahlsson line against crosby, how do you think he would\'ve faired) or stops after a whistle to cry at the refs because he didn\'t think the play was offside.

who would you rather have leading you to the promised land.<br><br>Post edited by: 87Flyer, at: 2007/07/10 13:06
    It\'s a little different here...Iginla never had any of these awards at 20 years old, and actually at 30 years old he has yet to have a 100 point season wher as Crosby has 2 already.... I think Sid will have far more awards than iginla by the time he is 25, Yes Iginla fights/Scores/etc....Crosby just flat out scores..... alot more than Iginla does, and for that he should get elite player money.

dynamo45 wrote:
    It\'s a little different here...Iginla never had any of these awards at 20 years old, and actually at 30 years old he has yet to have a 100 point season wher as Crosby has 2 already.... I think Sid will have far more awards than iginla by the time he is 25, Yes Iginla fights/Scores/etc....Crosby just flat out scores..... alot more than Iginla does, and for that he should get elite player money.
    No one here is arguing Crosby\'s worth, he is worth every penny and deserves to be the highest paid player in the league as he is the greatest player in the game today. However, what some people have issue with (myself included) is the spin - whether coming from the Crosby camp, media, or wherever - that was put on his desire or willingness to take less to help the team stay competitive and win cups. The \"take less\" approach resulted in a savings of 1.3 million from the max available and although \"honourable\" it won\'t give the franchise the flexibility it will need to keep the core together (Malkin, Fluery, Whitney, Stall) to win the cups Sidney wants. A salary of 8.7 mil to any team consumes almost 20% of it\'s payroll and this kind of handcuff makes it extremely difficult for GMs like Shero to surround Sidney with great talent. Not that he entirely needs it cause he would make me a 70 point player in the nhl and I can\'t even skate backwards but if he (as we were told prior to his signing) wants to help his team win cups, he could have settled for 6.5-7.5 million and helped a little more. The $ he receives in endorsements alone could cover the loss of a few million a year but I don\'t blame him for taking what he got, he is worth more!

Post edited by: derrickroul, at: 2007/07/11 10:24
    Dobberites Unite! 12 Team H2H $$ Keeper League
    C: Malkin, Krejci, Wilson, Schenn
    W: Zetterburg, D Sedin, Mueller, Horton, Benn
    D: Suter, Edler, Myers, Burns
    G: Fleury, Brodeur, S Mason, M Smith
    -- Keep 17 with salary cap

It\'s not just $1.3M that he\'s saving the Pens every year. As others have said the other players on the team should not be paid more than Crosbys o instead of Malkin getting $9.5, maybe he signs for $8, that\'s another savings of $1.5M per year and so it goes down the list of players on the Pens. Crosby has set a glass ceiling on wages for an extra 5 years which will make this team more competitive.

Jawa: Yeah, I hate the arguement that just because $8.7M is a lot of money to spend, no one deserves it. Does that mean that Gates doesn\'t deserve his Billions because he can\'t spend them? No, he EARNED them, just like Sid will.

hoopej2 wrote:
    It\'s not just $1.3M that he\'s saving the Pens every year. As others have said the other players on the team should not be paid more than Crosbys o instead of Malkin getting $9.5, maybe he signs for $8, that\'s another savings of $1.5M per year and so it goes down the list of players on the Pens. Crosby has set a glass ceiling on wages for an extra 5 years which will make this team more competitive.
    This ceiling doesnt apply solely to the Pens but the rest of the league as well so it doesnt neccesarilly make this team more competitive. It may in fact curb inflation somewhat as GMs can use this as a base for their own franchise player(s). Briere and Timonen\'s salaries now look grossly overpaid.
    Dobberites Unite! 12 Team H2H $$ Keeper League
    C: Malkin, Krejci, Wilson, Schenn
    W: Zetterburg, D Sedin, Mueller, Horton, Benn
    D: Suter, Edler, Myers, Burns
    G: Fleury, Brodeur, S Mason, M Smith
    -- Keep 17 with salary cap

Dobber Sports Apprentice

it\'s funny how people see a post about what sid signed for and immediately start jumping all over the person or people that have something to say about it. i never said that he wasn\'t worth the money or the length or any of the other crap that some people are posting.

My post was about the simple fact that for the week or so that this was in the media the crosby camp talked a lot about how he was going to take a reduced salary so that the team can keep its core players and win a cup. Hence the comparison to the other \"stars\" from other teams (iginla, thornton, brodeur) who have said the same thing but have actually done it.

thornton is worth similar money to crosby, guaranteed, signed for just over 7 mill. wether iginla scores as much as sid is irrelevant, he is the leader on the team and the complete package, could\'ve signed for prolly 8-8.5. Brodeur is the only thing keeping Jersey competitive, he makes 5 and change when he could be right up there as well, 8 mill.

these players have also created a ceiling for their teams that is going to force any player under them to earn less than 6 mill. by doing this they have created a much better chance of having a competitive team under a 50 mill salary cap than sid who has left the door open for other players to sign big contracts.

sure he\'s worth 9 mill, yes he\'s the best player in the league for scoring, all he had to do was keep his mouth shut and sign his contract. instead he spouted off about how much of a team player he is and how he\'s going to help the team core stay together, then he signed for 1.3 mill less than the max. the fact is 1.3 mill doesn\'t buy to much on the open market for players nowadays. it\'ll be interesting to see just how much the rest of the core players all get when it\'s there turn.
    H2H Points
    Protect- roster:18 + prospects:7
    F- Tavares, M.Richards, Lecavalier, Kovalchuk, Horton, Hossa, Purcell, Hartnell, Pominville, Simmonds
    D- Doughty, Hedman, Boyle, Meszaros, Wideman
    G- Fleury, Halak, Vokoun

Prospects-
    F- Bowman, Coyle, Adam, Zibenajad, Geoffrion
    D- Savard, Wishart
    G- Hackett, Jones

Dobber Sports Expert

you know, he\'s just a kid, I said some pretty dumb things when I was a kid, and I am glad I didn\'t have an international media spotlight shining on me.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

for sure, we all have, some of us still do lol. i\'m not even sure it was actually him that said it, prolly his agent trying to get a positive light on the situation before the actual numbers came out.

i\'m sure with time he\'ll get better. he already seems to have matured a bit from the whining he was doing the first year(aside from that incident in the playoffs with the offside call, i thought he was gonna throw himself on the ice and start kicking and screaming lol).

it\'s got to be incredibly tuff to be a kid with the entire hockey world spotlight on him. lets just be thankful he hasn\'t been to any bars and spit beer in anyones face yet.
    H2H Points
    Protect- roster:18 + prospects:7
    F- Tavares, M.Richards, Lecavalier, Kovalchuk, Horton, Hossa, Purcell, Hartnell, Pominville, Simmonds
    D- Doughty, Hedman, Boyle, Meszaros, Wideman
    G- Fleury, Halak, Vokoun

Prospects-
    F- Bowman, Coyle, Adam, Zibenajad, Geoffrion
    D- Savard, Wishart
    G- Hackett, Jones