Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Wanna try predicting 1str round picks?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

You are probably right that he is the 2nd best skill wise and perhaps an argument can be made he is the best - but he plays for the Preds which will forever limit his win totals I think.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    I really thought you would be taking Rinne, Horrorfan and I would then be left to stiff Chili by taking Rask.
    I was tempted with Rinne, but decided that a double wing eligible multi cat stud was worth it at that point. Can't complain about Bryz in the second, unless he bombs again. Time will tell.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I was tempted to snag a goalie because the back to back picks limit my chances but two multicat studs are a great benefit to a team.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin1390 View Post
    I was tempted to snag a goalie because the back to back picks limit my chances but two multicat studs are a great benefit to a team.
    Yup they are - but so are goalies. But you should be fine with Luongo and Dubnyk in net.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    I had actually planned to take Ovechkin second, but Malkin didn't go first and while I still almost took Ovechkin, the sheer amount of FOW from the RW pushed me to Malkin's side.
    I would have drafted Malkin as well. Malkin's SOG was also elite last season so really the only signficant advantage for Ovechkin is hits, which can more easily be found later in the draft with other multi cat players. It's rare to find an elite talent that can also give you tons of FOW from the wing. Not to mention, who has just come off a 108 point season, whereas those supporting Ovechkin are hoping he can get back to PPG+.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    I would have drafted Malkin as well. Malkin's SOG was also elite last season so really the only signficant advantage for Ovechkin is hits, which can more easily be found later in the draft with other multi cat players. It's rare to find an elite talent that can also give you tons of FOW from the wing. Not to mention, who has just come off a 108 point season, whereas those supporting Ovechkin are hoping he can get back to PPG+.
    If I'm not the FOW leader I'm going to be livid.

For wingers taking FO, I have Malkin, Jokinen, and Dubinsky. Plus at C I have a few FO monsters in Plekanec, Desharnais, and to a lesser extent, Stoll.

Unfortunately, Carter is C and not C/RW - considering he almost always plays wing, that's going to hurt and basically cancel out the bonus I get from Malkin.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

LOL.
    I'm just finding this thread now.

When I first got the #6 spot I was really happy with it... thinking there were several options.
    Then I realized, shit - I'm either going to have to take Tavares (the #6 skater, IMO) or I'll have to start the goalie run knowing that taking the top goalie rarely results in getting the value that I draft.

Tavares vs. Lundqvist... yeesh.

What I'm really surprised about was that Stamkos slid to #5.
    I would have taken him 1st overall.
    Last edited by Pengwin7; October 2, 2012 at 10:53 AM.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    If I'm not the FOW leader I'm going to be livid.
    I'm going to give you a run at FOW, count on that!

C1: Tavares (814 FOW)
    C2: E.Staal (882 FOW)
    C3: O.Jokinen (620 FOW)
    BN: B.Boyle (629 FOW)

LW2: Zetterberg (548 FOW)
    LW3: Couture (468 FOW)
    LWB: Vermette (645 FOW)

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I'll have to start the goalie run knowing that taking the top goalie rarely results in getting the value that I draft.
    Tavares was a solid choice. But so would have been Lundqvist. I took him last year at pick seven and was two days away from winning the title. Maybe it's personal preference you are referring to though, but having the top goalie can make a difference, especially with his production last season. Obviously how you follow it up is most important.

That being said, in a shortened season, perhaps the top goalies won't all be the top ones and a lot could be quite close together. All it takes are a few starting hot/cold and staying that way for a month or two, which in this case would have even a greater effect on the overall standings.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Damn.

Still going to beat you

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Tavares was a solid choice. But so would have been Lundqvist. I took him last year at pick seven and was two days away from winning the title. Maybe it's personal preference you are referring to though, but having the top goalie can make a difference, especially with his production last season. Obviously how you follow it up is most important.

That being said, in a shortened season, perhaps the top goalies won't all be the top ones and a lot could be quite close together. All it takes are a few starting hot/cold and staying that way for a month or two, which in this case would have even a greater effect on the overall standings.

Yes, that was my plan.
    Though I can tell you that last year (& this year) I've recommended to several people to grab Lundqvist in ROTO pools at around that #6/#7 pick overall.

My thinking did change with the shorter season and I committed to grabbing lower/middle-tier goalies expecting a correct of stats.

If the league didn't have FOW, I would've gone with Lundqvist. I value Lundqvist/Giroux/Tavares all in that 4/5/6 second group area, dependent on league settings.

The Wolverine

Do you think Eric might get less FOW if he's playing on the same line as Jordan?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Do you think Eric might get less FOW if he's playing on the same line as Jordan?
    Nope his FOW % will go through the roof because he will be more aggressive on the dot because kid brother is there if he gets tossed. I figure about the same number on less opportunities. LOL - nice in theory, huh.
    Last edited by Shoeless; October 2, 2012 at 6:21 PM.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Actually, yes... I do expect a significant decrease for E.Staal.

That said, if he gets dual eligibility, it could help. Then again, I've heard he would shift to LW and I'm overloaded at C/LW.

But yes, probably a decrease.